Topics

sticky Astrophotography Done with the iEXOS-100, EXOS 2, and G11 Post your Pictures and Details! Lets Show What These Mounts Can Do. #iEXOS-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Max <asanmax@...>

Good job on Leo Triplet Taro. I hope you enjoy learning about the mount.
Here is my recent try on the North America and Pelican nebulae, trying to catch it using all my lenses/scopes before saying goodbye till next Summer.
40x150sec @ ISO800
Canon T3i modified
Tamron 200mm F/4 at F/5.6
CLS filter
Bortle 8 as usual

Taro

Hi Max How ya doing?

Your this year's last North America and Pelican are very nice at Bortle 8.
I like Pelican Nebula so much.

Max, you use Canon T3i. and many astrophotographer use same one also.
And shot nice pic so many.

Is it better for astrophotography?

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48

Max <asanmax@...>

Hey Taro, the T3i has a very low sensor noise along with the XSi. So I have both and both are Ha modified to get the most out of emission nebulae.

Taro

Hi Max

Thank you for information.
Very interesting.

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48
CCD: SONY Alfa7Sii,SONY QX1, PENTAX KP,ASI 178MC,ASI 120MC-S
          SAMSUNG SCB2000N
MOUNT: Celestron AVX,Celestorn SE+Wedge,iEXOS-100,SW Star Adventure
FILTER: HA,Oiii,OPTLONG L-PRO,OPTLONG L-eNhance, Etc
SubLens: 2" Flattener, 2" 2XBarlow, 2" F/0.5 Reducer, SCT F/0.63 Reducer
ETC: GPS,StarSence,iPolar

Taro

Rosette Nebula

I think Need more expose time for showing detail.
But not so bad.
Still try no guide. Lol

Place:Near Backyard East Pattaya Thailand (Bortle Class 6, Moon Phase 36.5%)

Date:2019/Dec/03 1:22

Telescope: Svbony SV48 (90mm F/5.5)
OVL Field flattener
ISO 3200

Expose:150 Frames X 20 Sec Total 50 Minutes.

Mount:iEXOS-100 (No guide)

Camera: Sony Alpha 7Sii (Mod,APS-C Crop)

filter: Optlong L-Pro, Baader Semi-Apo filter

Shot By Taro Seki Astropical.uk

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48
CCD: SONY Alfa7Sii,SONY QX1, PENTAX KP,ASI 178MC,ASI 120MC-S
          SAMSUNG SCB2000N
MOUNT: Celestron AVX,Celestorn SE+Wedge,iEXOS-100,SW Star Adventure
FILTER: HA,Oiii,OPTLONG L-PRO,OPTLONG L-eNhance, Etc
SubLens: 2" Flattener, 2" 2XBarlow, 2" F/0.5 Reducer, SCT F/0.63 Reducer
ETC: GPS,StarSence,iPolar

kev06bravo@...

iexos 100  pmc8

Meade infinity 102  (porkchop express)

8x60 seconds

8 darks

Homebrew autoguider orion 50mm finder with generic usb camera inserted / phd

cartes duceil

canon xti full spectrum mod (done by me)

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

kev06bravo <kev06bravo@...>

M42 shot on iexos 100, meade infinity 102 refractor, guided with phd.    Processed in deepsky stacker and photoshop

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jim McKee

Edited

Newest effort.  Still struggling with DEC excursions of 3-4 ArcSec every 6 minutes or so. Dither was off.  Alternates north and south.  So I figure DEC Backlash.  A review of PHD-2 revealed that backlash compensation was disabled.  Enabled backlash compensation and this seemed to fix the North/South periodic excursions.  I think Jerry have mentioned this before.
I was able to catch 20 lights of IRIS Nebula (NGC-7023) and 5 of Andromeda (M31).

Link to Andromeda (M31)

Link to IRIS Nebula (NG C7023)

Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Vince White

Hey Jim,

In case I didn't mention it earlier, that just looks phenomenal.  The noise and exposure balance also looks tremendously better than the first version that you shared, I'm assuming you reprocessed it?

I've got a Canon EOS RP coming to replace my old 5DmkII and enjoy 10 years of sensor development and hopefully reduced and/or no darks.  My next goal is to try to get an Orion Nebula shot that looks more like this:https://www.astrobin.com/404968/

Regards,
Vince

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:57 AM Jim McKee <mckeejh@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Accidently blew away Astro gallery. New link inserted.]

Horsehead Nebula and Flame Nebula.  20x240 sec. 4 darks.  Guiding was RA 1.4" and DEC was .6".  First shots with ASI071MC Camera

Link to revised photo
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

--
Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2-GT
Scopes: BRESSER 208mm f/3.9 Newt + ES HR Coma Corrector, Celestron C90 Mak, generic 50/191mm guide scope

Jim McKee

Thanks Vince,
I've been refining the processing part of this hobby while the skies are messy.  I know you will be able to match or exceed the Astrobin shot.  But what I learned with horsehead is to be careful with your black levels or you wipe out the fine nebulosity. Good good guiding and great focus are critical to the process.  I am just waiting for the next set of clear nights to see if I can get consistent guiding process going that allows for a majority of my time to go to AP and not adjustments to the mount.

/Jim

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Max <asanmax@...>

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 01:25 PM, kev06bravo wrote:
meade infinity 102
Very nice shot, I wouldn't expect this from a Meade Infinity scope.

Vince White

All,

I've been doing a series of test to try to extend my total guide time and here is what I've been able to do so far:

1x 1200 second exposure @ ISO50 (too much light pollution), no UHC filter and at 836mm FL.  Imaging resolution is 1.58 arc-sec/pixel.  PHD2 guiding hovered around 0.8" total RMS error.  Looking at 100% zoom shows slightly oblong stars.

Partial crop to remove corner vignetting so I could do background extraction in PixInsight:

Here's a 100% crop:

I also captured an 1800 second image with similarly shaped stars, however, it was mostly white / overexposed.  Looking at the image, my collimation and focus is off (its a heavy Newtonian that requires frequent adjustments).  Also, the last time I remeshed my EXOS-2GT, I purposely left some backlash in the RA axis to ensure there was no binding.  However, I think I left too much backlash, which is allowing the RA axis to rock back & forth on the RA axis slightly, probably causing some of the star elongation.

Regards,
Vince
--
Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2-GT
Scopes: BRESSER 208mm f/3.9 Newt + ES HR Coma Corrector, Celestron C90 Mak, generic 50/191mm guide scope
Cameras:  Canon 5DmkII, Canon EOSm, T7C (ZWO ASI120MC clone)
Misc: 2" Optolong UHC filter, Raspberry PI 4
Software: INDI + Kstars + EKOS, DeepSkyStacker, GIMP, Lightroom

Vince,

A 1200 second exposure. TWENTY MINUTES. Two periods. Swinging an 8" newt, for goodness sake!

I think you now hold the record for exposure length.  Congratulations! :-)

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Mark Christensen

Vince,

If you bias the mount slightly heavy east and guide at less than 100% correction, the RA never reverses and backlash there is irrelevant. Trying to remove backlash by tightening the gears can only hurt you with binding, which will cause chatter and wear at the worm to ring gear (aka worm wheel) interface.

The same thing goes for DEC - there a tiny amount (relative to your exposure length) of polar miss-alignment means the DEC drift is always in one direction, so disabling DEC corrections in the opposite way plus a tiny amount of DEC weight bias (to insure the gears always stay meshed) does the same thing - DEC backlash doesn't matter either. The trick, of course, is to have enough DEC drift so that the DEC error is always in one direction, while at the same time keeping field rotation to a tolerable level.

I have to use these tricks with both my G11 and EXOS-2GT sometimes since I tear down and set up every night. Plus I often can not even see Polaris nor stars near the horizon (necessary for good drift alignment). Better to find a compromise that works than seek perfection and fail.

Best Regards,

Mark Christensen

Jim McKee

Mark,
Good advice. I had forgotten about dialing in a little PA offset. Just to be sure, is this using Az adjustment or altitude?  How much off is enough to force north or south only?
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Wes Mcdonald

I think there is no good answer.  Be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Polar misalignment means the arcs cut by the scope are not centered on the arcs cut by the stars.  Thus the mount might be diverging north or south depending on where the object is.  To see this just think about Polaris and a properly oriented mount.  If you rotate in ra, with the mount pointing at the North Pole, Polaris describes a circle in the eyepiece with a diameter of about 90 arc
Minutes.  If you start with the ra and dec set to Polaris while correctly polar aligned, the fov rotates around the ncp with the same rate etc as Polaris and thus Polaris stays centered.  That is because all the stars rotate around the pole and so does the field of view if mount is aligned.  Now align the mount on Polaris instead of NCP.  Now when the mount turns in ra (as when tracking) the ncp moves in a circle around the fov.  But Polaris is moving in a circle around the ncp.  Thus the fov orientation to Polaris must change over time.  Hmmm not obvious the orientation changes just that Polaris won’t stay centered

Anyhow I think any star track cuts an arc in the sky and the fov cuts an arc and if the mount ain’t polar aligned these arcs cross somewhere.  On one side of the cross the scope fov is north and west and on the other side it will be south and East.  Or north and east and south and west.  If polar aligned every arc the scope cuts (arcs are defined by declination while ra is rotated) is concentric with every star arc....no crossing.

I also have observed pointing errors of plus and minus dec and ra for the sky dome when pa is off in my mount alignment simulations so I knowis this is a thing.  Come to think of it I could quantify the drift and rotation with the Sim.  Be a lot of work but the basics are there.

Operationally there might be an optimal setting, probably gonna be a function of the hour angle and the declination of the object tho.

Bottom line....just dial.in some.net error.  Maybe an arc.minute or two.  Then observe the drift and set up.the guiding and weights accordingly.

Wee

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:54 PM Jim McKee <mckeejh@...> wrote:
Mark,
Good advice. I had forgotten about dialing in a little PA offset. Just to be sure, is this using Az adjustment or altitude?  How much off is enough to force north or south only?
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Mark Christensen

Vince,

I find I don’t have to make a special effort – just do normal polar alignment with the polar scope. There is usually enough error so that the drift is noticeable but not awful.

As to what direction it will be in that is complex. It depends on the position in the sky you are looking at plus the direction of the error. If you do the calibrate and guide function in PhD (or PhDs) then when guiding starts turn on the guide graph and watch the guiding commands that appear in the lower part of the regular screen. Typically, for the first minute or two after the start of guiding the system will issue a bunch of either North or South guide commands. Once you see that is repeatable then use the pull down menu in the guide graph tool to set the Dec direction accordingly. Then watch the graph to insure the guiding has stabilized.

This all assumes you are not trying to operate remotely without being able to see the PhD window.

Regards,

Mark C.

Vince White

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the detailed replies.  For my case, I do have excessive backlash or rather, loose gear coupling, since I purposely left the RA mesh extra loose with an East heavy weight bias to see if I could reduce the magnitude of the RA error spikes.  For that test, I measured no guiding improvement and actually saw the mount wiggle with the breeze, since I have an 8" Newtonian telescope masquerading as a sail.  In the end, I'm not seeking perfection and complete reduction in backlash, however, I am looking for a robust solution that allows me complete remote control and functions well on both sides of a meridian flip without manual intervention.  Also, I've got a total payload weight of 27 pounds on the EXOS-2GT, so I'm pushing the mount beyond what it is really designed for.  That's partly why I've completely tore down, tuned & rebuilt my EXOS-2GT mount and am systematically working my way through every part of the Astrophotography process to identify what significantly impacts guiding performance and where the most improvements can be found.

Regarding polar alignment - I also setup and tear down my equipment every session and do not have a clear view of Polaris in my backyard, so I do a rough alignment with my cellphone, then do a drift alignment with PHD2.  I can usually get < 200" of PA error in around 5 minutes, since I'm primarily only refining the azimuth adjustment.

I am curious as to how long you are able to guide with both the EXOS-2GT and the G11?

Regards,
Vince
--
Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2-GT
Scopes: BRESSER 208mm f/3.9 Newt + ES HR Coma Corrector, Celestron C90 Mak, generic 50/191mm guide scope
Cameras:  Canon 5DmkII, Canon EOSm, T7C (ZWO ASI120MC clone)
Misc: 2" Optolong UHC filter, Raspberry PI 4
Software: INDI + Kstars + EKOS, DeepSkyStacker, GIMP, Lightroom

Taro

The Orion Region.

Orion is staying Milkeyway.
So it has many nebulas.
Good view for this Xmas season.

Place:Near SCC East Pattaya Thailand (Bortle Class 4, Moon Phase 81.5%)
Date:2019/Dec/08 22:31
Telescope: William Optics Redcat 51 (51mm F/4.9)
ISO 3200
Expose:30 Frames X 20 Sec Total 10 Minutes.
Mount:Explore scientific iEXOS-100 (No guide)
Camera: Pentax KP (Stock,APS-C)
filter: Optlong L-eNhance

Shot By Taro Seki Astropical.uk

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48
CCD: SONY Alfa7Sii,SONY QX1, PENTAX KP,ASI 178MC,ASI 120MC-S
          SAMSUNG SCB2000N
MOUNT: Celestron AVX,Celestorn SE+Wedge,iEXOS-100,SW Star Adventure
FILTER: HA,Oiii,OPTLONG L-PRO,OPTLONG L-eNhance, Etc
SubLens: 2" Flattener, 2" 2XBarlow, 2" F/0.5 Reducer, SCT F/0.63 Reducer
ETC: GPS,StarSence,iPolar

Jhun

ORION NEBULA .
  • 14 Light Frames @ 120sec/frame (28 mins)
  • 34 Dark Frames @ 120sec/frame (1hr 8 mins)
  • Stacked in DSS
  • Post process and Color Enhanced in Adobe PS & LR. .
  • Nikon D5300
  • Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G1 Lens
  • Explore Scientific USA IEXOS-100 PMC-eight GO-TO tracker. .
  • Total Exposure Time Including Calibration 1hr 36mins
  • Focal Length 600mm
  • F-stop >> f/6.4