Topics

sticky Astrophotography Done with the iEXOS-100, EXOS 2, and G11 Post your Pictures and Details! Lets Show What These Mounts Can Do. #iEXOS-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

Hi Wolfgang,

Great work, A very nice image indeed!  I am glad to see you having good success with your mount. I look forward to seeing more images. Thanks for sharing.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

W. Christopher Moses

This is a great thread.  Keep the images coming.
I look forward to contributing if we ever get good weather here...
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6

asanmax@...

Here is the 5 minute single exposure image, taken with Canon 450D/18-55mm at 18mm, ISO 800.

asanmax@...

M31, iExos-100, home-made 40mm f/3 guider with a dash cam. 300mm f/6.3 Takumar lens, Canon 450d. Bortle 7. Total exposure 100 minutes. I'm sure there's more needs to be done in post processing.

Wes Mcdonald

Asanmax....holy cow.  How did you polar align?

Great.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

asanmax@...

Funny thing but I do not do polar alignment. My backyard faces South and the Polaris is not visible. So I just eyeballing haha.
If I compare the first and the last images taken I see the slight field rotation at the edges which does not affect the final image.
I have plans to do a drift alignment and just make marks on the concrete for the mount legs, but for now I just enjoy imaging.

asanmax@...

38x120sec
Camera Canon 450D

Lens 3M-5CA, 500mm f/8

Guider 40mm f/3 with AR0130 sensor

PHD2 + APT for imaging and dithering

Bortle 7, below average seeing with the Moon passing by

Bravo!  :-)

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

asanmax@...

Thank you, I didn't expect it would turn out well as seeing was below average.

Amanda McAlpin

Hi All:

After a bit of a rocky start, I can finally and happily report that my iExos-100 is functioning the best I could possibly hope.

Here's the gear:

Mount: iExos-100 with tripod legs not extended for stability. Leveled, then balanced, then Polaris sighted through PA tunnel

Telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 73 430mm focal length; f5.9 (with WO's 1:1 flattener)

Camera: Stock Canon 60d (no filters) (which has a 1.6x crop sensor)

Guidescope: William Optics 50mm (200mm focal length)

Guidecam: zwo asi290mc

Software: serial ASCOM using POTH Hub tied into Nighttime Imaging N Astronomy (NINA), ASTAP for platesolving, PHD2 for guiding. NINA is a one-stop shop and does all of it once you download everything and get all the settings correct. With windows 10 on a mac through parallels.

The weight of the telescope, cameras, counterweights, etc, comes to 20.4lbs.

I went on vacation to a bortle 3-4 so used it to really test the limits of this mount. Unfortunately, I was somewhere VERY hot (generally above 90 until 12 or 1am) so my subs were unbelievably noisy. I took calibration frames but they weren't enough to get rid of all of it. Honestly though, I pretty thrilled with the performance I got!

Pinwheel Galaxy - 27x 240 seconds

Pinwheel Galaxy - Google Drive

Helix Nebula - 18 x 300 seconds (!!!!!!!!) these are noisy as heck but had PINPOINT stars

Helix Nebula - Google Drive

My guiding was unbelievably smooth. I dithered every frame hoping to help with noise and also to give the poor DSLR sensor an extra second to cool down but my guiding was consistently below .5 seconds.

Finally, I’m also including an image from my primary viewing location, which is pretty obstructed (so much that I can’t see Polaris or either horizon to do a proper drift alignment) and in the middle of bortle 8-9 skies (Los Angeles), using a cheap CLS filter from amazon.

Trifid Nebula – 74x40 seconds

Trifid Nebula - Google Drive

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to processing but I am thrilled that this is my starting place!!

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount

Dan Kahraman

Amanda:

Beautiful photos. Time for you to chuck the DSLR...not only does the sensor get hotter with more subs but you are starting hoty to begin with. Flats are another bugaboo and you have to make your darks right away. With an astrocamera you can control the temperature and your flats, darks, bias frames can be kept for 3 months....

Dan

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 19:07, Amanda McAlpin <m.calpin.amanda@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much, Dan!

Agreed that an astrocam should be in my future but currently, my bank account is currently very against it. Soon, though. :)

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Dan Kahraman

Amanda:

What did you process them in? I am also surprised that you had these results in the iExos-100. I will have to look at them again in the links. The initial attachments were very small.

Dan

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 07:07 PM, Amanda McAlpin wrote:
After a bit of a rocky start, I can finally and happily report that my iExos-100 is functioning the best I could possibly hope.
Hi Amanda,

Your images are great! I never tire of hearing about the success our customers are having with their PMC-Eight mount systems. Getting 0.5 arc-seconds RMS for you guiding error is awesome. If you get a chance, I would love to take a look at your guide log if you would post it that would be great.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, I look forward to seeing more.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Amanda McAlpin

Dan,

Sorry to hear they're small - from a computer, when I click on them, they look full size. I was just trying to save the storage as discussed in other threads on here...

I stacked using DeepSkyStacker and then processed in Photoshop CC.

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Amanda McAlpin

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much! I will share my guide logs with you soon, but don't have my laptop with me. The overall numbers won't look so great because of dithering but it always smoothed right back out after the initial nudge.
--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Dan Kahraman

Hi Amanda:

Did you do all these objects in one night? I see the software you used. I do all my steps up to integration in APP in FITS format then subsequent processing in PI.
5 minute subs for the Helix! Wow! Are the results better with more subs but shorter exposures?
You have come a LONG way in less than a year. Same here. I actually have photos but with an EXOS2Goto mount not the PMC8 Exos2. I just got this mount on Monday.

Dan

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 19:45, Amanda McAlpin <m.calpin.amanda@...> wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much! I will share my guide logs with you soon, but don't have my laptop with me. The overall numbers won't look so great because of dithering but it always smoothed right back out after the initial nudge.
--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Amanda McAlpin

Hi Dan,

Trifid was from my home, one night, a week before my trip.

I did one hour of helix, which was cut short because a crazy lightning storm blew in. Pinwheel and the second hour of helix were on another night. I also did a bunch of andromeda captures but haven't processed that target yet. Unfortunately, I lost two nights of my trip to clouds so I didn't get to get as much data as I'd hoped. I think if I could have rounded helix out to a full three hours as planned, it would've been better. It's a shockingly dim target. The noise between four and five minutes was not a huge difference because it was so hot out. Unfortunately, that's just how it goes sometimes...

I'm going to attempt a mosaic next weekend from a bortle 5, and it shouldn't be as hot, so I'll post on here how it goes!

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Dan Kahraman

Hi Amanda:

Yes the Helix is a very large and very dim object. It is amazing what integration and processing does to these images.

Dan

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 22:11, Amanda McAlpin <m.calpin.amanda@...> wrote:
[...]

Great results, have you tweaked any settings in PHD2 to get close to 0.5 RMS? I'd love to see the logs.