Topics

sticky Astrophotography Done with the iEXOS-100, EXOS 2, and G11 Post your Pictures and Details! Lets Show What These Mounts Can Do. #iEXOS-100 #G11 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

asanmax@...

I'm sure everyone would be interested in the latest test run that I did with the iExos-1000 and my Celestron C5 telescope.
I took a chance tonight to shoot the Dumbbell nebula with the Celestron C5 125mm f/10 SCT telescope.
I think that the focal length is a bit longer thanks to the Meade adapter, probably around 1350mm.
I was only able to take 16 images at ISO 1600, 15 of which I used for stacking. Clouds again, same old story.
Imaged from my backyard in the Bortle 7 zone with no Polaris visible, so no precise polar alignment.
I was actually blown away by the RMS numbers, I used the hand-made 40mm f/3 guider with a cheap AR0130 camera sensor.
I had absolutely no troubles finding stars and calibrating in PHD2.
I did not use any tools to precisely focus the telescope as I saw the clouds coming and wanted to complete the testing before it was too late, hence some blurriness.

Here is the final processed image that I only spent 5 minutes on.
15x90sec at ISO 1600.
Canon 450D.
Can't wait for another clear night to run the mount with the C5 for a couple of hours at least...
I wish I had a better scope to play with.

asanmax,

I was wondering when someone would try a long-FL session :-)
Well done!

- Bob
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Amanda McAlpin

wow, GREAT job on dumbell!!!

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount

Dan Kahraman

Fantastic job on M27.

Dan Kahraman

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 14:40, Amanda McAlpin <m.calpin.amanda@...> wrote:
wow, GREAT job on dumbell!!!

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

David Shadbolt

I STILL need to figure out polar alignment with this mount. This is over 4hr, 40min unguided. Best exposure time I've gotten is 60 seconds.

Wes Mcdonald

David...that looks great.  Use sharpcap to get paid better if you want.  But 60 secs unguided seems like the outer limits in an iexos.  That's about half the period of the small cog cycle

Wes

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM David Shadbolt via Groups.Io <shadowed_in_fear=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I STILL need to figure out polar alignment with this mount. This is over 4hr, 40min unguided. Best exposure time I've gotten is 60 seconds.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Dan Kahraman

Hi David:

The results are fantastic. For Polar alignment do the following:
1) Download Sharpcap
2) Put a guidecamera in your guidescope.
3) With your mount OFF click on Sharpcap and connect your guidecamera
4) Under tools select Polar Align. I am assuming that you are pointing north (your azimuth and latitude settings are close enough to be seen in your guidecamera, otherwise you will keep getting Cannot Solve messages in Sharpcap)
5) Try to be as accurate as you can with your alignment until you get "Excellent" message in Sharpcap
6) Disconnect the camera in Sharpcap and manually put the mount in the Polar Home position.
7) Turn your mount on and go to a bright star.
8) Centre the bright star in your guide camera and main camera.If you have Platesolving this should be easy provided you have accurate settings for your telescope's focal length and camera being used, such as the pixel size etc. SYNC in Platesolve and then SYNC in your image acquisition program
9) Go to the object you want to image. Use platesolve to centre it
10) Now start PhD2 and connect all. If you need to know how to get excellent PhD2 readings watch this video (the first two in the list): https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=getting+excellent+guiding+in+Phd2
11) Now you are ready for imaging. With my Altair 183c TEC I won't go over 3 minute subs at 400 gain. <<<I am not there yet. I have to overcome cable management and get PhD2 under my belt.

Once again your results are superb! I didn't catch what focal length or scope you used...but I may have overlooked that!

Dan Kahraman

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 09:01, David Shadbolt via Groups.Io <shadowed_in_fear=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I STILL need to figure out polar alignment with this mount. This is over 4hr, 40min unguided. Best exposure time I've gotten is 60 seconds.

Dan Kahraman

Hi Wes:

I agree with the 60 second limit unguided for the iExos. Sharpcap is the ONLY way to go. The unmentionable competitor will remain that way.

Dan Kahraman

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 09:12, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
David...that looks great.  Use sharpcap to get paid better if you want.  But 60 secs unguided seems like the outer limits in an iexos.  That's about half the period of the small cog cycle

Wes

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM David Shadbolt via Groups.Io <shadowed_in_fear=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I STILL need to figure out polar alignment with this mount. This is over 4hr, 40min unguided. Best exposure time I've gotten is 60 seconds.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Dan Kahraman

BTW David Re: PhD2 guiding

Our own Jerry Hubbell has a video on this topic. It is the 4th one on the list....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjJqaOeYY70&t=1s

Dan Kahraman

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 09:01, David Shadbolt via Groups.Io <shadowed_in_fear=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I STILL need to figure out polar alignment with this mount. This is over 4hr, 40min unguided. Best exposure time I've gotten is 60 seconds.

Amanda McAlpin

Hi All:

Here's the final photo from my trip a few weeks ago.

M31 - Google Drive

Here's Andromeda M31 with my:
William Optics Zenithstar 73 - 430fl; f5.9
(stock)  Canon 60d (1.6x crop and no filters)
guiding through phd2
imaging through NINA, stacked in DSS
processed in Photoshop CC
caressed gently in Lightroom on my phone.

This comes from a ton of 240 second exposures and full calibration frames and dithering every frame. Let me know if you guys actually care how many and I'll check when I get home.

-Amanda
--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5; ZWO Asi290MC
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

asanmax@...

I do care about the number of frames and also the Bortle scale of your skies. The galaxy looks very nice.

Amanda McAlpin

This was taken in bortle 3-4 skies.

I'll let you know the number of frames in a few hours. I don't have that laptop with me.

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Dan Kahraman

Incredible results Amanda. Very encouraging.

Dan Kahraman

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019, 6:03 PM Amanda McAlpin, <m.calpin.amanda@...> wrote:
This was taken in bortle 3-4 skies.

I'll let you know the number of frames in a few hours. I don't have that laptop with me.

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster 130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; Celestron Neximage 5
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro) PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Amanda McAlpin

Thanks very much for the kind words!

My Andromeda image consists of  33 x 240 seconds

Here's an image I took while the sequence was going. The big bump you see is the dither, then it calms down below 1 second.
NINA Image with PHD2 Graph

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

asanmax@...

Scope: Celestron C5 white tube, 125mm/1310mm.

Camera: Canon 450d

Guider: 37mm/130mm with AR0130 sensor.

66x120sec frames

Stacked in DSS, post processing in PhotoShop

Cropped about 60% of the full frame.

City sky, Bortle 7.

Wes Mcdonald

Nice.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Dan Kahraman

Hi Amanda:

Could you make your PhD2 settings available for us? I am trying to recall whether you had any PhD2 guiding screen-shots as well. Very much interested.

Dan Kahraman

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 19:07, Amanda McAlpin <m.calpin.amanda@...> wrote:

Hi All:

After a bit of a rocky start, I can finally and happily report that my iExos-100 is functioning the best I could possibly hope.

Here's the gear:

Mount: iExos-100 with tripod legs not extended for stability. Leveled, then balanced, then Polaris sighted through PA tunnel

Telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 73 430mm focal length; f5.9 (with WO's 1:1 flattener)

Camera: Stock Canon 60d (no filters) (which has a 1.6x crop sensor)

Guidescope: William Optics 50mm (200mm focal length)

Guidecam: zwo asi290mc

Software: serial ASCOM using POTH Hub tied into Nighttime Imaging N Astronomy (NINA), ASTAP for platesolving, PHD2 for guiding. NINA is a one-stop shop and does all of it once you download everything and get all the settings correct. With windows 10 on a mac through parallels.

The weight of the telescope, cameras, counterweights, etc, comes to 20.4lbs.

I went on vacation to a bortle 3-4 so used it to really test the limits of this mount. Unfortunately, I was somewhere VERY hot (generally above 90 until 12 or 1am) so my subs were unbelievably noisy. I took calibration frames but they weren't enough to get rid of all of it. Honestly though, I pretty thrilled with the performance I got!

Pinwheel Galaxy - 27x 240 seconds

Pinwheel Galaxy - Google Drive

Helix Nebula - 18 x 300 seconds (!!!!!!!!) these are noisy as heck but had PINPOINT stars

Helix Nebula - Google Drive

My guiding was unbelievably smooth. I dithered every frame hoping to help with noise and also to give the poor DSLR sensor an extra second to cool down but my guiding was consistently below .5 seconds.

Finally, I’m also including an image from my primary viewing location, which is pretty obstructed (so much that I can’t see Polaris or either horizon to do a proper drift alignment) and in the middle of bortle 8-9 skies (Los Angeles), using a cheap CLS filter from amazon.

Trifid Nebula – 74x40 seconds

Trifid Nebula - Google Drive

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to processing but I am thrilled that this is my starting place!!

--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount
: iExos-100 PMC-Eight
Scope: Celestron Astromaster130 and William Optics Zenithstar 73
Camera:  (unmodded) Canon 60d; ZWO ASI290MC
Computer and software: Windows 10 (using Parallels on a 3/1Ghz dual core i5 Macbook Pro), NINA, PHD2, ASTAP, PIPP, Autostakkert, RegiStax, DSS, Photoshop CC
First telescope: Astromaster 130 for Christmas 2018. :)

Jim McKee

Edited

It was suggested that the EXOS-2 owners also post successful photos in a single thread.  AP on the EXOS-2 is a path that takes many months to get all the pieces to work together, especially for us beginners, but on a clear night, the EXOS-2  is a very capable mount.   So here is my post from last night on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  It was very clear with a much reduced amount of haze/city lights.

The below are the result of 15 subs each w/ Darks at 640 ISO and 8 minute exposure times. PHD2 tracked well at RA of 1.1" and DEC of .65".  RA and DEC all had periodic excursions of as much as 2-3 arc-sec, but they all seemed to settle out and tracking was consistant for about 4 hours.  While they all looked like saw-teeth patterns, RMS was satisfactory.
M31, M33, M45

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

Very nice!

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Brief clear skies a couple of nights ago, and a long session last night, on the Heart Nebula :-)
EXOS2 PMC-8, D5300 (unmodded), SV 102EDT, Hotech FF, Optolong cLS-CCD filter, DSS and StarTools.
Technique change to aggressive dithering to help manage noise.

Heart Nebula / IC 1805,
10x300s + Flats and Dark Flats (dither every other)
21x600s + Flats and Dark Flats (dither every exposure)

4hr, 20min total

Just today's first try at processing this.  There's so much going on in the data, that there's more than one way to do it. :-)

- Bob