Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 and EXOS 2 post your picture and details lets show what this mount can do. #iEXOS-100 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Harry,

Stability:

1.       No issues so far.

2.       No slippage or weird sounds from the mount when slewing or tracking

objects.

3.       Tripod legs are fully extended

4.       No vibration pads

5.       Unleveled angled ground

6.       Imaging over cement; (oh yeah, I am a rule breaker)

Things you should know:

1.       Your system has to be balanced.  My idea of balancing in the RA differs from

most:

a)      I can move the scope anywhere along the RA axis of rotation and the scope will not move

2.       Dec balancing is a little different:

a)      I can move the scope +/- along the DEC axis of rotation at 180-degrees and it will not move

to make this like the RA, I will have to experiment with stick on weights.

3.       Make sure you have all counterweights installed and the RA with Dec axis locked down before

placing your scope on top.

4.       You will need a bushing in order for the 11.25-pound counterweight to be balanced on the counterweight

shaft.  I made my bushing out of PVC tubing.

Why Explore Scientific 11.25-pound counterweight:

1.       Mr. Kent suggested it.  It is countersunk, so it extends the length of the counterweight shaft

by 58.48mm (using my measurements).  It is a tight fit on the countershaft screw knob, but I am

not going to turn down the knurled knob.   

Tracking:

1.       Not very good since I can’t see any Northern stars due to tree foliage.  Can’t do a real polar alignment;

even Sharpcap needs stars.   Currently I am doing blind polar alignment.  I use apps to point me north

and “celestial pole” to get a false sense I am aimed at the NCP.  Currently, I can run 5400mm with a

digital zoom of 5 and the image will cross my FOV in 1.5-minutes.

This is a picture of my current setup which I will use for all  planets for 2020.  I have to get Mars working.

I believe Mars comes around  every 2-years.  Reminds me of Tom Petty’s song, “Don’t come around here no more”.

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Harry via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 7:59 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 and EXOS 2 post your picture and details lets show what this mount can do. #iexos-100 #EXOS2 #astrophotography

JR, great pictures! May I ask you about the stability and any other comments you have regarding your mount. I also have the iExos 100 with the stock tripod. I see you have the ST3 tripod with the Skymax 180mm Maksutov . I am considering a similar upgrade, and am wondering how yours is working out.
Thanks, Harry

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES  ED80CF, ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8
Nikon D600, D5500, MacOS, Starry Sky Stacker, Lightroom, Affinity Photo

Dave Cherry

More testing.....

Currently Imaging the Blow Dryer galaxy.
This time I have installed a 2X barlow lens on the 275mm guide scope
Quite frankly,  I'm am amazed by the tracking accuracy of the Pmc mount
The main tube is 200mm PDS Newt  with 2.5X Barlow lens (2.5M focal length)

Hard target
Doing ok so far 
Well done guys with the latest firmware, it def' working for me!.

Dave C

--
Scopes: Sky Watcher 200PDS, Skywatcher 72ED
Mount: Explore Scientific PMC8 EXO2
Cameras: ASI 294MCPRO Coooled, Altair guide cam + 50mm scope
Software: Sharpcap Pro ,PH2, Stelarium Startools

Ian Morison

Hi all,
          something different.  The iEXOS-100 makes an excellent mount to support my Lunt Double- Stack  H-alpha telescope.
Levelled tripod and, with correct latitude, aligned approximately due North.  Simple slew to Sun and only a small adjustment to North alignment brought the Sun's image onto the camera sensor. Tracking superb and the N/S/E/W slow slewing worked perfectly to centre the Sun's image. Mount's performance could not have been better.  Telescope control and image capture in the hood.   2,000 frames aligned and stacked in AutoStakkert! and processed in Photoshop.

The Sun is just waking up from a big sleep and the surface is now showing some interesting features.  It is very hard to get a totally uniform brightness full solar disk but this has worked reasonably well.
Best regards to you all.
Ian

Jaimie Murdock

That is really awesome Ian! Love how much detail you can see!

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021, 2:19 PM Ian Morison <ian@...> wrote:
Hi all,
          something different.  The iEXOS-100 makes an excellent mount to support my Lunt Double- Stack  H-alpha telescope.
Levelled tripod and, with correct latitude, aligned approximately due North.  Simple slew to Sun and only a small adjustment to North alignment brought the Sun's image onto the camera sensor. Tracking superb and the N/S/E/W slow slewing worked perfectly to centre the Sun's image. Mount's performance could not have been better.  Telescope control and image capture in the hood.   2,000 frames aligned and stacked in AutoStakkert! and processed in Photoshop.

The Sun is just waking up from a big sleep and the surface is now showing some interesting features.  It is very hard to get a totally uniform brightness full solar disk but this has worked reasonably well.
Best regards to you all.
Ian

--
Mount: ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scope: William Optics ZenithStar 61II w/ UniGuide 32mm
Cameras: Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3), QHY-5-III-462C
Software: KStars on Astroberry, DeepSkyStacker and Photoshop

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 04:19 PM, Ian Morison wrote:
Tracking superb and the N/S/E/W slow slewing worked perfectly to centre the Sun's image.
Great work Ian, I am glad the mount is working as you expect. Did you upgrade your mount to the new firmware yet?

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Mirko Gude

Hi all,

today I’ve also done some photos from the sun. Only with a normal telesope, not in H-alpha. as Ian did.

But I can confirm what Ian said in his post, the iExos is very easy to use in this case. 

My pictures are not very well processed, but the resemblance of the sunspot structure is visible.

I remember my first try some month ago during bad wether conditions. I was not sure if the sunspots (small ones) are really there - maybe my CCD was dirty? So I compared it with https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/

Best, 

Mirko 

Am 25.04.2021 um 22:19 schrieb Ian Morison <ian@...>:

Hi all,

Best regards to you all.
Ian

<Lunt-iEXOS-100.jpg><SUN-25-04-2021=col.jpg>

--

Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS 100, ES EXOS2-GT 
Scopes: Skywatcher 80/600, TS Photoline 72/432mm-Apo
Cameras:  Nikon Z6, D7000, ZWO ASI385 Color, QHY 5L-II-mono
Lens: Sigma 150-600mm, Sigma Art 135mm/1,8, Nikon Z 50mm/1,8, Tamron 70-200mm
Msc: LRTimelapse Pro Timer 2.5, Raspberry Pi4, Polemaster, GPS Dongle, QHY miniGuideScope
Software: PixInsight, Kstars, Starry Night, Redshift