Topics

Bluetooth joystick with Explore Stars app? #ExploreStars

Jay

Has anyone connected a gamepad via bluetooth to their Android tablet to control the LRUD of the Explore Stars app?

I plan on using a USB gamepad via ASCOM to control the iEXOS but wanted to also have that functionality but wireless with a tablet and Explore Stars.

This seems like it would be ideal:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0EP-00GZ-00001?item=9SIAEP26KY6632&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-greatdeals-_-accessories+-+wireless-_-9SIAEP26KY6632&gclid=CjwKCAjw5_DsBRBPEiwAIEDRW8NtP3cH7EQFYFNNZRzvyJut_F0_thRNPENBYeqxDDT5wxsZ_XvEXBoCU54QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 03:58 PM, Jay wrote:
Has anyone connected a gamepad via bluetooth to their Android tablet to control the LRUD of the Explore Stars app?
Hi Jay,

This is an interesting gadget... I have been under the impression that in order to map the buttons on an app to a game controller the app must expose that functionality to the operating system. Unless you know of a generic middleware app that would run on Android and iOS that will map application buttons to a game controller it would have to be added to ExploreStars. There are plans for that in place but we are at least a few months out for that.  If anyone knows of any middleware that would provide app button mapping that would be great.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jay:

I tried to connect an Xbox bluetooth gamepad via ASCOMPAD and failed.  In my case the controller needed some kind of bluetooth adapter that had to have some kind of driver for it different from a regular bluetooth.  In the process of trying to do it I blew up my tablet touchpad driver some kind of way.  But I think ASCOMPAD would work if the thing you have picked will emulate an XBOX gamepad.  But hey, I never got mine to work wirelessly, although it worked fine wired.  But wired is no use.  So that gadget you found would be swell.

In the meantime if you are running wired via ASCOM you can connect SkySafari and run the mount from your phone by using WiFiScope.  It is sweet. But best of all, it has LRDU buttons that hook directly through the WiFiScope bridge to ASCOM (via Poth).  You have to have a routable network running that both the phone and the PC are connected to.  For this purpose I have an old router I run out by the mount and put up a LAN just for the phone and the PC.  Works great.

If you wanted to get really ambitious you might reconfigure the PMC8 Exos2 (is that what you have?) RN131 WiFi module to be the wireless router, and then all would be contained in the PC/PMC8 with no other router needed.  I have played with the RN131 settings, but have not figured out how to reconfigure it correctly.  I have been tentative however, since if you bork the module and leave it unable to communicate, you have to open the PMC8 and reset the module by shorting a jumper.  So I don't want to do that and thus am waiting for someone smarter and more adventurous than I to publish the correct settings for the module.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jay

Thank you Wes for trying it out. For now, I'm going wired with ASCOM not wireless, so not expecting any issues. There are wired USB gamepads for PCs that will work.

re: SkySafari and WiFIScope usage - that's great to know - thanks! When I upgrade my astro laptop and OS (from XP to Win10), I'll be able to try that setup.

BTW, I have the iEXOS-100

Jay

Thanks Jerry -- that'll be great when ExploreStars gains that functionality.

When using the iExos and ExploreStars for the first time this past weekend - I had difficulty switching my eye gaze back and forth from my finder scope to the tablet to hit the LRUD/compass buttons. A little directional gamepad would be very useful when slewing and syncing so you can keep your eye focused on targeting. I've heard the stick-on buttons for tablets loose suction and fall off...

Jay

How about wired joystick usage with ExploreStars via an OTG cable? Does ExploreStars have wired controller support?

I found these generic directions:

----------

Simply connect the USB-OTG dongle to your Android phone, then connect the USB game controller to that.

Games with controller support should detect the device, and you'll be ready to play.

-------

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

Here's how I overcome that situation.

I'm left eye dominant. When I'm centering a star I look in the eyepiece with my right eye and hold the tablet to the left of the eyepiece. When I want to position my finger, I open my left eye, get the finger where I wan it, then close my left eye as I move the telescope. If I need to move my finger, I repeat the process.

A right eye dominant person would do the opposite. Hold the table to the right of the eyepiece, then look into the eyepiece using the left eye.

Once I'm on target, I can view with either eye.

It has become a second-nature process now. I can do it without thinking about it.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Hi Jay,

Yes, the stick on buttons are not that good, I have tried them also.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:17 AM, Jay wrote:

Does ExploreStars have wired controller support?

I found these generic directions:

The changes we are looking at include using a wired connection.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data