Topics

Can the Mount Saddle on the IEXOS-100 be Replaced #ExploreScientific

Aaron

Hello.

I have seen some vendors that offer different options for mount saddles.

This company seems to have a lot of options.
https://www.admaccessories.com/

I am wondering if the mount saddle on the IEXOS-100 (looks like it is attached to the mount by two screws) is any kind of mechanical standard which I could use to look up to find any compatible mount saddles?

Like, for example, say I wanted a saddle that was just arca swiss compatible? Or a mount that was compatible with both arca swiss and vixen?

Aaron

Aaron

It also seems like a saddle that did a mini side-by-side setup might be desirable?

Ming

I'd like to find out about that also.

The stock iEXOS-100 is fine with the original saddle as its load capacity is limited. However once the user upgrades the tripod to ST2/3 and gets more counterweight, the iEXOS-100 can support upto 10kg load. In this case I feel the original saddle might be inadequate.

--
Scopes: APM-LZOS 115/805, Skywatcher 200P Dob & APM 107/700 (grab'n'go)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro w/ Rowan belt mod + ADM saddle & ES iEXOS-100 PMC8 w/ Fine AZ adjuster + ST2 tripod

Eyepieces: ES68 34mm, 24mm; Pentax XW 14mm; ES82 14mm, 8.8mm; Baader Morpheus 6.5mm, 2.25x Q-Barlow; TV Delos 4.5mm, 2.5x Powermate
Imaging: Canon EOS 600Da, Canon 135mm f/2L + 1.4x extender, TS 2" 0.79x FR/FF, IDAS NB1 triband filter, Altair Starwave 50mm + ZWO ASI120MM Mini (guiding)

Software: BYE, PHD2, ASTAP, Cartes du Ciel, DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert2, PS CC

Binoculars: Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP

Hi Aaron,

Yes it can, I have the ADM Dual D-V saddle on mine. I have a CG4 tripod. You will have to install a coupling nut on the front knob in order for it to clear the dec. housing as the telescope tracks. It's a game changer...worth every dime of the $203.00 CDN I paid for it. Now I can properly balance the scope, it also give me some place to hang the PoleMaster.

Regards,

Jeff
--
Mounts:   iEXOS 100
Scopes:    Evostar 72-Ed - StarField 50mm Guide Scope

Jeff    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Ming

What is the size of the bolts, M6 or M8?
--
Scopes: APM-LZOS 115/805, Skywatcher 200P Dob & APM 107/700 (grab'n'go)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro w/ Rowan belt mod + ADM saddle & ES iEXOS-100 PMC8 w/ Fine AZ adjuster + ST2 tripod

Eyepieces: ES68 34mm, 24mm; Pentax XW 14mm; ES82 14mm, 8.8mm; Baader Morpheus 6.5mm, 2.25x Q-Barlow; TV Delos 4.5mm, 2.5x Powermate
Imaging: Canon EOS 600Da, Canon 135mm f/2L + 1.4x extender, TS 2" 0.79x FR/FF, IDAS NB1 triband filter, Altair Starwave 50mm + ZWO ASI120MM Mini (guiding)

Software: BYE, PHD2, ASTAP, Cartes du Ciel, DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert2, PS CC

Binoculars: Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP

The bolts are M6. The plate mounting holes are 35mm on center.

Mounts:   iEXOS 100
Scopes:    Evostar 72-Ed - StarField 50mm Guide Scope
Cameras:  Nikon D7000 - Altair GP Cam2
Software:

Jeff    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Wes Mcdonald

Jeff

What did you need to put that head on the CG4 tripod?  Looks like it fit on just fine

Ming

Thanks a lot for the bolt size and the hole spacing, Jeff.

I think I'll go with the TS Optics clamp as that one has a pair of smaller thumbscrews, so they should clear the DEC motor housing without the need of a coupling nut.
--
Scopes: APM-LZOS 115/805, Skywatcher 200P Dob & APM 107/700 (grab'n'go)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro w/ Rowan belt mod + ADM saddle & ES iEXOS-100 PMC8 w/ Fine AZ adjuster + ST2 tripod

Eyepieces: ES68 34mm, 24mm; Pentax XW 14mm; ES82 14mm, 8.8mm; Baader Morpheus 6.5mm, 2.25x Q-Barlow; TV Delos 4.5mm, 2.5x Powermate
Imaging: Canon EOS 600Da, Canon 135mm f/2L + 1.4x extender, TS 2" 0.79x FR/FF, IDAS NB1 triband filter, Altair Starwave 50mm + ZWO ASI120MM Mini (guiding)

Software: BYE, PHD2, ASTAP, Cartes du Ciel, DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert2, PS CC

Binoculars: Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP

Hi Wes,

No mods of any kind required. Remove the original head...drop the new one with two M6 socket head screws and you're done!

Jeff
--
Mounts:   iEXOS 100
Scopes:    Evostar 72-Ed - StarField 50mm Guide Scope
Cameras:  Nikon D7000 - Altair GP Cam2
Software:

Jeff    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Ming,

No problem, sounds like an excellent option!

Jeff .
--
Mounts:   iEXOS 100
Scopes:    Evostar 72-Ed - StarField 50mm Guide Scope
Cameras:  Nikon D7000 - Altair GP Cam2
Software:

Jeff    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Wes Mcdonald

Got it

How about mounting the mount onto the cg4 tripod.  Any mods needed to the tripod?  It did I read your note incorrectly about having the mount head on a cg4 tripod?

No issues there either Wes. The base of the ES azimuth adaptor is smaller than the well on the top of the CG4 tripod. I have had no apparent issues with the mount moving while in use. I may at some point (once I'm more proficient with a 3-D printer) print a close tolerance bushing to fill the gap.

Jeff