Topics

CDC Sky Chart Error Message

James Buck

Jerry,

I get the following error message when using Sky Chart (CDC) and ASCOM Pad
Not all the time, just some times.  When it comes up, I just have to reconnect ASCOM Pad to mount.
Any ideas?
It is really neat that you can now use a joystick to control the mount.
Next clear night, will give it a try with first Polar Alignment with ExploreStars then switching to CDC.

Thanks for your help in getting this put together.

Jim Buck

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jim,

I don't see any attachment or any other indication of the error in you message. You may have to manually upload the screenshot file (I assume that's what it was) and then provide a link to it in your message. I will have to see the message to comment any further.

I am glad you have it working. If you don't know, the ExploreStars polar alignment routines are a virtual alignment that creates a model within the ExploreStars application for pointing the scope. It does not work when using the ASCOM driver, CdC and ASCOMPAD. The ASCOM Standard platform assumes you have a good physical alignment. Most people are using the QHYCCD Polemaster system to do their physical alignments.

I have been thinking of ways to incorporate an alignment tool into the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver, but to tell you the truth, it would be on the back burner for a while with all the other stuff I am working on. The source code is available for our driver so a customer with good programming skills could create the code to do this and present it to me for incorporation. I have already included the code for the alignment routine in the project but have done nothing with it.

I would use that code and create an interface to acquire the 2 or 3 star data for the alignment and then add a new transform to calculate the Altitude and Azimuth offsets. I would present those offsets as instructions to the user to  move the Altitude and Azimuth a certain amount in a certain direction that should refine the physical alignment.  This would be like the Polemaster except not as fancy nor as fast perhaps.

The other way would be to do the 2 or 3 star alignment and then calculate the pointing coordinates on the fly like we do in ExploreStars based on the pointing model generated.

Anyway, it would take a bit of work which unfortunately I don't have time for right now, perhaps later on this year in the fall.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

James Buck

The message box comes up from CDC

Warning:

Error:  Unable to read data from the transport connection:  An established
connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

I am sure it is being generated by Sky Chart but not sure why.  The only thing I can figure out is when I use the Xbox controller and push the knob in one direction and then another direction too quickly then it comes up. It also may have something to do with the refresh rate too.

Jim B

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jim.
I have seen this type of error message when more than one ASCOM client is trying to connect to the ES_PMC8.Telescope driver at time. The timing isn't really an issues as the PMC_Eight driver has been tested to provide a transaction rate for certain functions up to 60 times per second. The minimum transaction rate has been around 20 times per second for other functions. The default refresh rate on the POTH is 1 second I believe.

You may be doing this correctly but I want to review the connection sequence. Are you running POTH, or are you connecting directly from CdC to the PMC-Eight driver ES_PMC8.Telescope? Are you then trying to connect to ASCOMPAD to ES_PMC8.Telescope. Are you running version 2.09 of the ASCOMPAD?

The way you have to connect everything is:

POTH  to ES_PMC8.Telescope
CdC to POTH
ASCOMPAD to POTH

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

James Buck

Jerry,
I was connecting CdC and ASCOM Pad directly.
Now if I try to connect through POTH Scope-Dome Hub I get the following message:

Error connecting to telescope.
80040407 _ ASCOM.ES_PMC8.Telescope
GetRAMotorPosition

I appreciate you in helping with my troubles.

Jim Buck

James Buck

Jerry,

Got it going.  I did not realize one has to check Motion Controls in POTH Setup in order to have the RA and Controller work together.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jim,

You don't need to hsve the motion controls checked as far as I know. Sometimes on initial connection the POTH doesnt receive the complete message and you need to just hit disconnect and the connect again.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

James Buck

Jerry,
Thanks for your help in getting me set up with a controller. I am able to consistently connect and use the control pad with the mount. I really appreciate that!
Next step is to connect my camera and Orion autoguider to the PMC 8 and computer and see if it all works together. Hopefully it will with my new laptop.

Again thanks for your time and help. I am enjoying this mount but now am really excited about getting out and using it.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

Jim Buck

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jim,

I am glad it is working for you. I am working on the release version of the driver that includes the Gamepad fix to the 20180219 driver. I should be releasing it soon, but in the meantime, the one you have should be good.