Topics

COM ERROR 303 while Firmware Update #EXOS2 #FIRMWARE

LuckyDuck

Hi everybody,

I want to update the Firmware on my mount. It is connected to serial and I am using it that way for some time now.
If I get it right the current Firmware version is 9T_11

13       Received: ESGvES6B09T11!
12       Sending via Serial: ESGv!

So I downloaded the latest firmware, selected 9t_17a_EXOS2.eeprom in the firmware tab, but I get the following error in the command line:

38       ERR:303-No serial ports found.

37       Path to EEPROM: "C:\Users\AstroLuke\Documents\PMC8Firmware\9t_17a_EXOS2.eeprom"
36       Path to Propellent.exe:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Explore Scientific Utilities\PMC-8 Configuration Manager 1.0.3\Propellent.exe "
35       Attempting to upload ROM: 9t_17a_EXOS2.eeprom
34       Mount appears to be connected on Serial
33       EsMountManager: Verified - Serial Connection
32       EsMountManager: Try to Verify - Serial Connection

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Lukas

: ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES AR152 refractor, Tamron zoom-lens 70-300 mm
Cameras:  Sony a6000
Msc: none
Software: Siril, Affinity Photo, Sony Remote Control

Wes Mcdonald

Lukas

So I gave this a go.

No issues

Your messages up until you get the no serial port message are correct.

If you have no cable you get a different error message.  Thus the computer found your usb to serial converter.

I see you were connected to serial using 9t11.  All was well.

Try power cycling the pmc8.   This seems to be indicating the serial port is broke. Maybe your db9 connection is no good.  Unplug it and replug it.  Something simple maybe.

Lukas

What version of the configuration manager are you using?  I don’t recognize two of the messages.  Try loading version 103 from Es web page and use that.

LuckyDuck

Hi Wes,

thanks for your replies. So far I am still not lucky:

4       ERR:303-No serial ports found.

3       Path to EEPROM: "C:\Users\AstroLuke\Documents\PMC8Firmware\9t_17a_EXOS2.eeprom"
2       Path to Propellent.exe:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Explore Scientific Utilities\PMC-8 Configuration Manager 1.0.3\Propellent.exe "
1       Attempting to upload ROM
0       Mount appears to be connected on Serial

I'm already using v1.03 of the configuration manager. I tried rebooting PC aswell as PMC eigth and reconnected the serial cables as suggested. In general the connection via serial works great, no problems when connecting and driving the mount.

In the configuration manager on tab "connection" is a button "Find" next to COM Ports. If I press it, it says no com-ports found. But on the other hand it directly shows the correct com-port in this drop down window. I only have that one com port. it is COM3. If I plug the usb-serial cable in a different usb port it switches to COM4 or COM5. The configuration manager shows the correct com-port every time, but at the same time it complains, that it can't find any com-port. I am confused...

Thanks,
Lukas

: ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES AR152 refractor, Tamron zoom-lens 70-300 mm
Cameras:  Sony a6000
Msc: none
Software: Siril, Affinity Photo, Sony Remote Control

Wes Mcdonald

Lukas

After inserting the ftdi usb to serial pull up the de ice manager and make sure it shows the ftdi.  Heck I don’t know what is happening so long as you can control the mount via serial none of this makes any sense.

LuckyDuck

Hi Wes,

the device shows up in the device manager. There I set the correct baud rate. There are many more options/values to set, but I didn't touch them.

Lukas

: ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES AR152 refractor, Tamron zoom-lens 70-300 mm
Cameras:  Sony a6000
Msc: none
Software: Siril, Affinity Photo, Sony Remote Control

Wes Mcdonald

Lukas.  Delete the configuration manager and reload it. Delete every file in the directory .  Maybe the propellant program it loads is borked.  The hardware is not broken I think we know that.