Com Port

Wes Mcdonald

Don

What we saw in the zoom is that apparently windows and the mac on parallels both connect to the pmc8. This was leaving the windows version connected to the wrong port. The rn131 only will connect and exchange data on .11.   Windows was getting .12.    I believe we established that the Mac was sniping the .11.  Must be something with parallels.   

Telling Explorestars to use firmware is how the Explorestars can set the correct motor counts .

As for Explorestars stopping. This might happen with the asi air depending on how it is driving the firmware.   The firmware cooperates with ascom and Explorestars well, but I don’t know how the asi air might differ from ascom.   

One thing you can try when Explorestars refuses to do anything is toggling the T and P button/indicator.  Under certain combinations of being driven by the serial port (in this case the asi air) and WiFi from Explorestars, the firmware will lock out Explorestars.  The underlying theory of operation is that the ascom driver on serial has control dominance over Explorestars.  If you switch the Explorestars from T to P to T it from P to T this will, if the serial port is not being driven hard by commands, unlock Explorestars.  I don’t know if the lock out conditions that toggle clears is what you are seeing but it might be.  Let us all know what you find.

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Don Bradford

Wes:  Forgot one fix:  To get the iPhone to connect to ASIAIR Pro, I had to disable "cellular data".  I will probably be using my iPad Mini for separate operations of either WiFi or ASI Air.
Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 1:18 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Wes:  Finally got the PMC Eight configured, and working with both ASIAIR Pro (via serial port) and PMC Eight via WiFi (ExploreStars in iPAD Mini).
To  install the new firmware (with the Configuration Manager) with Windows 10 (on Mac with Parallels 17), we had to use a new RS232 cable (the one for ASIAIR had to have the DTR signal inverted), and install the Com driver.  After firmware update, in the ExploreStars App I switched from "ignore FW" to "Use FW", and that seemed to allow things to work, although so many things were changing at that point, I can't be sure. I can now operate the mount with ASIAIR alternating with WiFi on iPad Mini.  However, periodically the WiFi process quits (even though the connection to the correct IP address looks correct).  The ASIAIR seems to be solid in its operation.  I was never able to get the PMC Eight to work in WiFi with the Windows 10/Parallels 17 combination.  Tried every option we could think of including the manual IP address "work around" suggested for Windows 10.  I will continue to work on this, but it is a low priority, since now I have two alternatives to make the mount work without using Windows on my Mac.   
Don 

On Sep 8, 2021, at 6:36 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

Read my long note.  You do. It have to connect cm via the connection tab to load software.  

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL

--
Don Bradford
Explore Scientific AR102mm, f/6.5
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro
Explore Scientific 12" Truss Tube dob

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

Don Bradford

Wes:  Toggling the T and P makes sense, as I did notice that both the ASIAIR and ExploreStars are trying to track.  I will try that with more attention to your suggestion.  HOWEVER, I now have a more serious problem!  I was doing all the experimenting with no telescope on the mount, and it seemed smooth as I would give it a "Go To" and then stop it (whether I was using ASIAIR or ExploreStars).  Then at one point I decided to let it go all the way to the "target" and I noticed that the Dec motor kept running but it stopped rotating, as if it got hung up.  I didn't notice anything that could have stopped the rotation, but I then decided to put the telescope on and balance it.  I also took the little "window cover" on the gears for the Dec mechanism off, and tried again.  It seems permanently slipping.  The motor runs and the belt turns, but the mount doesn't move.  Ouch!!  Tell me there is a good reason for this and it can be easily fixed!
-Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 1:37 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

What we saw in the zoom is that apparently windows and the mac on parallels both connect to the pmc8. This was leaving the windows version connected to the wrong port. The rn131 only will connect and exchange data on .11.   Windows was getting .12.    I believe we established that the Mac was sniping the .11.  Must be something with parallels.   

Telling Explorestars to use firmware is how the Explorestars can set the correct motor counts .

As for Explorestars stopping. This might happen with the asi air depending on how it is driving the firmware.   The firmware cooperates with ascom and Explorestars well, but I don’t know how the asi air might differ from ascom.   

One thing you can try when Explorestars refuses to do anything is toggling the T and P button/indicator.  Under certain combinations of being driven by the serial port (in this case the asi air) and WiFi from Explorestars, the firmware will lock out Explorestars.  The underlying theory of operation is that the ascom driver on serial has control dominance over Explorestars.  If you switch the Explorestars from T to P to T it from P to T this will, if the serial port is not being driven hard by commands, unlock Explorestars.  I don’t know if the lock out conditions that toggle clears is what you are seeing but it might be.  Let us all know what you find.

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

Don Bradford

Wes:  Sorry for the piecemeal emails.  But, on the Windows/Parallels issue, I did not notice the IP "sniping" once I got it home.  With the manual IP setting, it seemed to consistently appear to be connected to the correct IP, but ExploreStars was not doing anything.  I gave up.  
-Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 1:37 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

Wes Mcdonald

Don

If the motor is turning and the belt is turning then the large pulley on the worm gear is loose.  It is held onto the shaft by two set screws.   You will have to remove the plastic housing to get to them.   Don’t lose the screws.

Bottom part of the housing is held onto the top half by four screws set into holes in the top plastic housing half, these are small Phillips head screws.     The top plastic housing half is held onto the mount by the four silver screws which take a hex wrench to unscrew.  This allows removal of the clam shell.  Note the db9 cannot be removed from the bottom half owing to the manner they installed it.  So secure the clam shell with a strain relief to prevent damage to the motor wires.   

I believe the removal process will be detailed in bob hoskins paper re hypertuning.   It can be found in the files section of mounts or main subgroups on the forum.

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

Don Bradford

Thanks.  That sounds like the problem. I’ll look fir the paper. 

On Sep 11, 2021, at 2:30 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

If the motor is turning and the belt is turning then the large pulley on the worm gear is loose.  It is held onto the shaft by two set screws.   You will have to remove the plastic housing to get to them.   Don’t lose the screws.

Bottom part of the housing is held onto the top half by four screws set into holes in the top plastic housing half, these are small Phillips head screws.     The top plastic housing half is held onto the mount by the four silver screws which take a hex wrench to unscrew.  This allows removal of the clam shell.  Note the db9 cannot be removed from the bottom half owing to the manner they installed it.  So secure the clam shell with a strain relief to prevent damage to the motor wires.   

I believe the removal process will be detailed in bob hoskins paper re hypertuning.   It can be found in the files section of mounts or main subgroups on the forum.

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

Don Bradford

Wes:  I notice that the belt is not 100% on the large cogged pulley.  I'm thinking some adjustment might be needed in addition to tightening the set screws.  I'm also thinking I would save some time by just making another trip to Springdale for some ES help.  Comments?
Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 2:52 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Don

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

Don Bradford

Wes: I removed the plastic housing and the large clogged “pulley” was indeed loose. And I slipped it out a bit to match up with the belt, and tightened the two very small Allen screws. Also very small Phillips screws holding the housing. All works well now, I think. 
-Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 3:35 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Wes:  I notice that the belt is not 100% on the large cogged pulley.  I'm thinking some adjustment might be needed in addition to tightening the set screws.  I'm also thinking I would save some time by just making another trip to Springdale for some ES help.  Comments?
Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 2:52 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Don

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

Wes Mcdonald

Don

It’s good to align the pulley.  The small pulley has a keeper in both ends and this pretty much keeps the belt in place.   What you have to watch for is if you move the large pulley out too much it will scrape the plastic screw boss that holds the shell.  This causes guiding errors.  By sliding the small pulley onto the motor shaft more you can optimize things relative to the spacing in that tight enclosure.it also has two set screws with the same hex wrench size  I think .  I filed the boss a bit to make a tad more room.

Also you should review bob’s paper for comments about getting the motor shaft parallel to the worm shaft.  If they are cocked the belt will walk and rub excessively in the small pulley keeper, which also causes guiding errors.

The belt always walks on my mount anyhow, I can never get it not to.

Sounds like you are getting things going.  I would try to cut the cord with driving to ES if you can. Self sufficiency is a good thing.  Learn the ins and outs, they will serve you well in situations where you cannot go get help.

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

Wes Mcdonald

Don. 

Just to follow up.  When I said “cut the cord” I meant to try and learn the ins and outs without going physically to explore scientific.  

Just wanted to clarify this in case readers thought I meant to cut an actual serial cord or something.  

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

Don Bradford

I understand.  I have found that hands-on tweaking is essential to any astronomy adventure. But it’s easy to be unnecessarily intimidated by the complexity of a device like the EXOS2-PMCEIGHT.  
-Don

On Sep 12, 2021, at 8:59 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don. 

Just to follow up.  When I said “cut the cord” I meant to try and learn the ins and outs without going physically to explore scientific.  

Just wanted to clarify this in case readers thought I meant to cut an actual serial cord or something.  

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

When Explore Scientific decided to embrace the “Open Source” concept, it spawned this “Open Minds” forum. It’s a Good Thing!

We need to be willing to do a bit of experimenting to realize the full potential of our gear; and for a lot of us, that’s a significant part of the fun. We have plenty of mentors here to keep us on track. I’m pleased to have found this company and this group.

Chuck Lewis

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Bradford
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2021 10:09 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Com Port

I understand.  I have found that hands-on tweaking is essential to any astronomy adventure. But it’s easy to be unnecessarily intimidated by the complexity of a device like the EXOS2-PMCEIGHT.  

-Don

On Sep 12, 2021, at 8:59 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don. 

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

--
Don Bradford
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro

--
Scope: Explore Scientific AR-102, Astro-Tech AD72ED, Nikon kit lenses
Mounts: Exos2GT-PMC8, Homebrew barndoor tracker
Camera: Nikon D7000, QHY5III-462C
S/W:  APT, DeepSkyStacker, Stellarium, CdC, PHD2, Sharpcap Pro, Gimp, RawTherapee, StarTools