Topics

Connect to laptop and Explore Stars

Nemesis2a

Hi everyone!
 I just purchased the Explorer Scientific EXOS2. I am just waiting on a dovetail to mount my scope. I am new to astronomy and astrophotography and have numerous questions to ask. First I would like to know if you can hookup the PMC8 to my laptop wirelessly without wifi? I'm also having a hard time finding a DB9 cable locally. The other question I have is concerning Explorer Stars program. I have followed all the download instructions, but when I open the program, I t says "data files missing". What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

I've tackled this on a Facebook post, but I'm going to answer here, too.

You are using a Windows machine.

Options are:

1) the database files are not in the Pictures folder on the computer

2) you changed the name of the folder.

3) you did not extract them properly.

4) you downloaded the Android database.

5) other very other improbably things

Go to the downloads page on the ES website. Download and install the configuration manager. It’s just below the video on that page.

Use the configuration manager to install the database.

--
Kent Marts
Customer Service

Gear: Anything in the store!

brian skinner

Hi there, not sure how you run wirelessly without wifi. Presumably your thinking bluetooth? Don't think this is an option.
Regarding the data files, on the opening page of the Explore Stars app you will see the search path the app needs you to set up before it can access the database. Make sure you have set this up correctly. Another problem can be that there may be a file type called sqlite missing from your download, particularly if you are trying to load directly onto an Android device, I don't know why this is a problem but the advice is to first load into a windows device and, having confirmed the sqlite file is present, transfer all datafiles onto your android device. Presumably when you say laptop you are windows based so it maybe you haven't set the search path correctly,

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

And, you can hook up wired to the laptop.

You will need an FTDI chipset serial cable, like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07589V742

Once you have that, use the configuration manager to switch from the wireless connection to the wired connection. The configuration manager contains a tab with directions on how to do it.
--
Kent Marts
Customer Service

Gear: Anything in the store!