Topics

Downloading Explore Stars for Android #ExploreStars

charles mckowen

I just bought the exos 2gt w/pmc-8. I’m trying to download onto my asus chromebook. I can not get it to work and I’ve followed the steps to a T. My wife has the laptop and is out of town. So I can’t unzip using windows right now. Is that why it’s not working?  I don’t understand why you just can’t download the app and be done with it?! I’m at the point of asking Es, if I can send my chromebook to them for download.

W.F.

Hi Cmckow,
"I’m at the point of asking Es, if I can send my chromebook to them for download. "
I suggest to unzip the file by a friend or neighbor that will be faster.
The database is unziped to large and some users maybe have not a fast internet thats why the compress the file.
And also the database and the app will be updated sometimes, if the app becomes an update so its easyer and faster to update it.
Because you dont need then allways to download also the database.
I had at first same things in my mind.
Other way is maybe to ask for an CD with the unzipped file.

Greetings Wolfgang.

Wes Mcdonald

Cmckow

Not sure the app runs on Chromebook, in fact I am sort of sure it does not.  But the way to try it is to download it onto a PC and unzip it.  If the app store refuses to load it it means the device is not compatible, for whatever reason.  I tried to load it onto my old Galaxy 3s and sure enough it was not compatible.  This was true even though the Android version was ok...had to do with the screen real estate I believe.

I started a list of tablets that work, but abandoned the effort when things settled down and the same tablets kept coming up.  I never recorded a Chromebook install.

Anyone have a successful Chromebook install of Explorestars?

wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

charles mckowen

It does, it’s an android system and can download from App Store. I guess I just need to unzip from a pc.

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:29 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Cmckow

Not sure the app runs on Chromebook, in fact I am sort of sure it does not.  But the way to try it is to download it onto a PC and unzip it.  If the app store refuses to load it it means the device is not compatible, for whatever reason.  I tried to load it onto my old Galaxy 3s and sure enough it was not compatible.  This was true even though the Android version was ok...had to do with the screen real estate I believe.

I started a list of tablets that work, but abandoned the effort when things settled down and the same tablets kept coming up.  I never recorded a Chromebook install.

Anyone have a successful Chromebook install of Explorestars?

wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Chris Tardif

Chromebooks are not Android tablets  they run a different operating system called as you might suspect..."Chrome".  Only recently (one year maybe two I can't remember) has the Google Play Store been available on Chrome.  Apps written for Android do not necessarily work on Chrome.   Office runs well, Lunar Lander...not so much.

I would look to Jerry to chime in on whether or not ExploreStars is designed in such a way to let it run under Chrome.

Looks like Wes beat me to it...heck I"m posting anyway.

Chris

Wes Mcdonald

Thanks Chris.

Also I reread the thread I sent.  It seems it will not run...at least Robert gave up.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

charles mckowen

I gotcha well I’m gonna to try to unzip from the office tomorrow. Our computers are blocked from a lot of websites. I think Es will work though. Thank for all for the feed back. It’s a chromebook 2 in 1 flip if that matters. I doubt It though because it is running off chrome. Hopefully I won’t have to buy a tablet.

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:37 PM, Chris Tardif <christardif@...> wrote:

Chromebooks are not Android tablets  they run a different operating system called as you might suspect..."Chrome".  Only recently (one year maybe two I can't remember) has the Google Play Store been available on Chrome.  Apps written for Android do not necessarily work on Chrome.   Office runs well, Lunar Lander...not so much.

I would look to Jerry to chime in on whether or not ExploreStars is designed in such a way to let it run under Chrome.

Looks like Wes beat me to it...heck I"m posting anyway.

Chris

charles mckowen

what should I buy? A Samsung galaxy tab 7 inch or greater? I just want something to hand control for now. I have an atlas that I use for guiding.

On Oct 28, 2019, at 6:43 PM, Cmckow91 via Groups.Io <Cmckow91@...> wrote:

I just bought the exos 2gt w/pmc-8. I’m trying to download onto my asus chromebook. I can not get it to work and I’ve followed the steps to a T. My wife has the laptop and is out of town. So I can’t unzip using windows right now. Is that why it’s not working?  I don’t understand why you just can’t download the app and be done with it?! I’m at the point of asking Es, if I can send my chromebook to them for download.

Wes Mcdonald

Charles

I like my Galaxy tab 7 because I can close it and stick it in my back pocket.  It allows you to set it so it won't sleep unless you press the button, so closing a cover on it does nothing.

The thing runs fine.  Others have used fire hds.  Someone used a galaxy tab 4, and a galaxy tab E.

You could also go with an iPad but I understand it sleeps and I am not sure how to keep it from doing so.  I use it for testing but I have never tried to use it for extended times when I was observing.  Once it sleeps it seems to resist picking up smoothly although there are mixed reviews of that.

There is a thread for posting the tablet used.  It is entitled “Tablets that work”. If you search the main subgroup with “tablets” you will find it on top of list.  Some of the posts are off topic but many relate to tablet info.

Others should chime in.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

charles mckowen

I just bought one off eBay and now I’m trying to run Linux on my chromebook. Wes, One last question though. What about guiding? Are you using a laptop or pc with windows for that? Thanks again

On Oct 28, 2019, at 8:57 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles:

When you go to guiding its pretty much the end of the Explorestars use.  Guiding will use a PC to run PHD2 or some other program.  Now it is possible to guide via the ST4 port and also use Explorestars.  I don't know if anyone is doing that but it would work.  As a general proposition, if you are guiding, you are taking photos.  This means it is best to go to ASCOM control of the mount.  ASCOM runs on the PC.

Once you jump to ASCOM there are various options available to point the telescope, including the magical plate solve which will remove all worry about finding objects.  Also, you can then run Sharpcap to remove all worries about obtaining a polar alignment.  And finally you can ultimately add astrophotography software to manage you image acquisition which integrates all of this into a nice whole.  In the end you will have a complete, automated rig which will do amazing things...and most of the software is free.

It's pretty amazing.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

The iPad works fine with Explore Stars.

All tablets will go to sleep. You just have to figure out how to keep it from doing so.

The iPad is easy, there’s a Sleep setting that includes NEVER.

A friend has an Android of some flavor that only allows for either 20 or 30 minutes without sleep, then shuts down. So, he’s got to remember to touch it to reset the sleep clock.

Kent Marts

Customer Service

Explore Scientific

[...]

Gear: Anything in the store!

Jay

There are Android apps to prevent going to sleep -- I've successfully used one (I forgot the name and my tablet isn't with me) and my Samsung Galaxy Tab A stayed awake all night while Explorestars kept tracking.