Either firmware update or new window killed my ascm function

Bear40

Struggling with the update the new universal config did not list my com port only providing two options.  Updated windows and firmware on the same day.  Missed a clear night what mess. Will fight with it again in the am.
--
Bear40
Clestron C5

Gord Farmer

New firmware
I think I’ll stay with what I have at the moment .
It’s working fine and confusing enough

Bear40

Your right, think I will try an load the older update and hope that gets me running again.  Even though that had some problems, At least I could get it to guide.
--
Bear40
Clestron C5

I am confused about how you updated the firmware with the USB cable and serial port yet the Universal Firmware Configuration Tool (UFCT) did not find the very same serial port. Can you upload a screen capture of the UFCT showing what you see? There is nothing inherently wrong with the firmware nor the UFCT as we have several customers now who have been successful with it, not to mention we completed a very extensive private and public beta test program prior to release.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Bear40

You need to make sure the pmc8 is on and connected via the usb cable before you start the UFCT.  When the UFCT boots its asks windows what comm port is open.  If you are not connected the comm port is not open and it won’t show up in the drop box.

Bear40, have you tried out the new Universal Firmware Configuration Tool version 1.0.B 2021-04-24 available in the files section?

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Bear40

I wrote the note below this section to the ES customer support after sending them the ASCOM dx file and mount profile that reported the errors that I got.  I was able to resolve the problem on my own.  This was after installed the updated firmware you posted Sunday.  The first firmware download did not work for me at all. Of interest the if I enable the run on boot in the Universal firmware installer  the ASCOM hub or poth starts unparked and tracking and then when I went into Stellarium or Carte De Ceil did not work for me. So I left that disabled and everything is working now.   The only oddity is if a leave a program and return to the Ascom hub or poth I have to go back to the configuration manager to get the TCP function with the mount.  Not the end of the world.  Can't say why the beta testers did not see my issue other than I am sure they don't make it a practice to overload their mounts as part their testing.

So think I have got all the problems solved. Having the mount out of balance was part of the problem and likely the start of the problem. I think it generate some sort of time out. This then left ASCOM device or poth looking like it was connected but non responsive. Unless I went to the PMC8 configuration manager which indicated the mount was connected to TCP but not in the first box in lower left of the screen and refound the TCP. After that the mount would connect and as long used either the poth or device hub in the TCP software everything works. If I disconnect from these I looks like I have go back to the config manager before starting another program but they all seem to work. I don't know if this was the same issue with the earlier update but it seems like it is working now. As a side note the explore star software did not demonstrate this behavior even when it was out of balance. Not clear why that would be the case. May be this will help someone else. Thanks for tolerance, new to mounts was using a Dobsonian prior to this for viewing.
--
Bear40
Clestron C5