Topics

ES G11 / ExploreStars issues


Steve Siedentop
 

Thanks, David.

Through a good bit of experimenting, I introduced too many variables to be able to determine the cause of the tracking issues.

As Jerry stated, the RA Direction and DEC Direction switches in the preferences pane change the direction of each axis to accommodate the mount pointing south.  I had these turned on, which may very well have been what was causing the drift.

My next outing will include fresh batteries and a standard configuration in the app.

-Steve

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 1:20 PM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:
 

At 18:29 30-04-18, sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:
>Questions for Jerry (or anyone else that may be able to answer):
>
>What function do the RA Direction and DEC Direction controls perform?

They are instead of steering the mount by hand;
as long as the clutches are engaged, PMC will
continue to know where the mount is pointed.

>Also, would a .33 difference in the tracking
>rate present itself visibly in the eyepiece in a
>very short period of time, or is it something
>that would present itself in a long exposure (5 minutes +)?

(0.33/53.33) x 100 = 0.62%

Since the stars move 15°/hour, or 1.25° per 5
minutes, even if your mount doesnt move for five
minutes, a star will only have moved 1.25° from
the centre of view. If the field of view of your
scope/eyepiece is greater than 2.5°, the star
will not have reached the edge of the field of
view in 5 minutes! Thus, if your mount is
tracking 0.62% slower than it should be, the star
should still be well in view after longer than 5 minutes.

David



David Pickett
 

At 16:47 01-05-18, Steve Siedentop sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

As Jerry stated, the RA Direction and DEC
Direction switches in the preferences pane
change the direction of each axis to accommodate
the mount pointing south. I had these turned
on, which may very well have been what was causing the drift.
Unless you are doing photography, or are using a
large magnification, it should be fairly easy to
keep objects in the field of view even if the motors stop running.

My next outing will include fresh batteries and
a standard configuration in the app.
Fresh batteries sound like an expensive long term
proposition. I am using a YUASA NP7-12 7.0 Ah
rechargable lead acid battery. I am also making
up a 12-19 volt convertor to keep my laptop
running from the same source. Time will tell
whether this has enough capacity for the job. Watch this space... :)

Best,

David


Steve Siedentop
 

Hi David -

By fresh batteries, I mean a fully charged deep cycle.  Mine was about 6 years old, so I replaced it with an AGM deep cycle today.  It’s a 60 amp hour battery, which should be enough capacity for a 5 hour imaging session.

My original power box with a group 24 lead acid battery powered a cooled DSLR, an NEQ6, an Intel Compute Stick, Moonlite focuser, a powered USB hub, and a Surface Pro for about 5 hours.

I’m going to put an ammeter in-line on the power supply to the PMC-8 to see what the real time consumption is while slewing and tracking.

I’ll post my findings as well.

-Steve


On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:48 AM David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

At 16:47 01-05-18, Steve Siedentop sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>As Jerry stated, the RA Direction and DEC
>Direction switches in the preferences pane
>change the direction of each axis to accommodate

>the mount pointing south. I had these turned

>on, which may very well have been what was causing the drift.

Unless you are doing photography, or are using a
large magnification, it should be fairly easy to
keep objects in the field of view even if the motors stop running.



>My next outing will include fresh batteries and
>a standard configuration in the app.

Fresh batteries sound like an expensive long term
proposition. I am using a YUASA NP7-12 7.0 Ah
rechargable lead acid battery. I am also making
up a 12-19 volt convertor to keep my laptop
running from the same source. Time will tell
whether this has enough capacity for the job. Watch this space... :)

Best,

David


Steve Siedentop
 

Oops...forgot to attach an image of the power box...



On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 5:40 PM Steve Siedentop <sdsiedentop@...> wrote:
Hi David -

By fresh batteries, I mean a fully charged deep cycle.  Mine was about 6 years old, so I replaced it with an AGM deep cycle today.  It’s a 60 amp hour battery, which should be enough capacity for a 5 hour imaging session.

My original power box with a group 24 lead acid battery powered a cooled DSLR, an NEQ6, an Intel Compute Stick, Moonlite focuser, a powered USB hub, and a Surface Pro for about 5 hours.

I’m going to put an ammeter in-line on the power supply to the PMC-8 to see what the real time consumption is while slewing and tracking.

I’ll post my findings as well.

-Steve

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:48 AM David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

At 16:47 01-05-18, Steve Siedentop sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>As Jerry stated, the RA Direction and DEC
>Direction switches in the preferences pane
>change the direction of each axis to accommodate

>the mount pointing south. I had these turned

>on, which may very well have been what was causing the drift.

Unless you are doing photography, or are using a
large magnification, it should be fairly easy to
keep objects in the field of view even if the motors stop running.



>My next outing will include fresh batteries and
>a standard configuration in the app.

Fresh batteries sound like an expensive long term
proposition. I am using a YUASA NP7-12 7.0 Ah
rechargable lead acid battery. I am also making
up a 12-19 volt convertor to keep my laptop
running from the same source. Time will tell
whether this has enough capacity for the job. Watch this space... :)

Best,

David