Topics

EXOS2-GT with PMC-Eight - PHD2 RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enoug

Keith Krayanek

Jerry,

Yes, since you helped me over the phone to adjust the firmware in the PMC-Eight to work with this ZWO camera for guiding, it has worked fine each time.  I have gotten up to ten minutes auto guided before.  Could not do longer because of sky glow.

I have Pole Master and did an alignment with it before I started.

The only time that the calibration in PHD2 failed was before you adjusted the firmware to work with this camera, after that, no problems at all until this Saturday.

I used Explore Stars via WiFi, and PHD2 via ST4 wire from Camera to mount.  This has worked fine before.  

I attached the image I got when I tried the star cross test.  

Keith Krayanek

greenkey75@...

From: ESPMC-Eight@... on behalf of hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:09 PM
To: ESPMC-Eight@...
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Re: EXOS2-GT with PMC-Eight - PHD2 RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough

Hi greenkey75, ( assume you have a real name),  

Based on your message, I assume that you have been successful in using this camera before as a guide camera connected to the PMC-Eight on your EXOS 2 mount. I also assume that your previous PHD2 calibrations have been successful and have worked for you in taking images.

Can I assume that you performed a fairly decent physical polar alignment before trying to do an auto-guider calibration?  Also, are you using the ASCOM driver via wireless or via the serial port?

I didn't see the picture you attached, can you attach it again.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., wrote :

It was finally clear out this last Saturday, I set up my EXOS2-GT with PMC-Eight, guide scope: Orion 50mm Mini, Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MC.

I have used this before with good results, but I kept on getting in PHD2 an error on calibration that said, "RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough"

I did a star cross test in PHDS, and I got a movement in every direction, but no cross.  I have attached that picture.

I also attached the PHD2 Guidelog showing the RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough message.  

I did go and remove the ST-4 wire and plug it in again several times.  No luck.

Has anyone seen this error before?

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Keith,

I work with a lot of customers, I don't always recognize who I am talking with, LOL. Thanks for letting me know. I can work with you again on TeamViewer to check the calibration of your ST4 port to verify that it is still good if you like. For some reason, I am still not seeing your star cross image. Maybe I am not looking at the right thing.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Keith Krayanek

Jerry,

Sorry, I should given more details.  The star cross test was done with PHD2 using their star cross feature.  And the Camera is a Canon Rebal T5 thru a 8” Orion f/3.9 Astrograph Newtonian

Auto guiding has worked fine for about 20 sessions so far.  Only problems would be if it was a windy night.  Gusty winds can cause problems.  But on a calm night it would guide perfect for 5 minute subs all night long.  And on past windy nights, never had a PHD2 calibration fail.

From: ESPMC-Eight@... on behalf of Keith Krayanek greenkey75@... [ESPMC-Eight]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:36:19 PM
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Re: EXOS2-GT with PMC-Eight - PHD2 RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enoug

Jerry,

Yes, since you helped me over the phone to adjust the firmware in the PMC-Eight to work with this ZWO camera for guiding, it has worked fine each time.  I have gotten up to ten minutes auto guided before.  Could not do longer because of sky glow.

I have Pole Master and did an alignment with it before I started.

The only time that the calibration in PHD2 failed was before you adjusted the firmware to work with this camera, after that, no problems at all until this Saturday.

I used Explore Stars via WiFi, and PHD2 via ST4 wire from Camera to mount.  This has worked fine before.  

I attached the image I got when I tried the star cross test.  

Keith Krayanek

greenkey75@...

From: ESPMC-Eight@... on behalf of hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:09 PM
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Re: EXOS2-GT with PMC-Eight - PHD2 RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough

Hi greenkey75, ( assume you have a real name),  

Based on your message, I assume that you have been successful in using this camera before as a guide camera connected to the PMC-Eight on your EXOS 2 mount. I also assume that your previous PHD2 calibrations have been successful and have worked for you in taking images.

Can I assume that you performed a fairly decent physical polar alignment before trying to do an auto-guider calibration?  Also, are you using the ASCOM driver via wireless or via the serial port?

I didn't see the picture you attached, can you attach it again.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <greenkey75@...> wrote :

It was finally clear out this last Saturday, I set up my EXOS2-GT with PMC-Eight, guide scope: Orion 50mm Mini, Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MC.

I have used this before with good results, but I kept on getting in PHD2 an error on calibration that said, "RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough"

I did a star cross test in PHDS, and I got a movement in every direction, but no cross.  I have attached that picture.

I also attached the PHD2 Guidelog showing the RA Calibration Failed: star did not move enough message.  

I did go and remove the ST-4 wire and plug it in again several times.  No luck.

Has anyone seen this error before?