EXOS2 Mount capability #cal-notice #EXOS2 #ExploreStars #ASCOM #CloudyNights

duker@...

Would anyone have any experience to share regarding the use of the
ES ED127mm Triplet and this ES EXOS2 mount.
The scope with accessories list at 22lbs, and want to ensure if this would be able to handle astro imaging with this payload.

Thanks in advance,.
--
Rob
Seaforth, Ontario

Steve Siedentop

You would be fine for visual use with that combination.  Not so much for imaging.  While the weight is within tolerance, the length will be a problem.  You can certainly image with that combination, but you’ll need some skills, time, and patience.   Unless you have some experience under your belt and have specific need for a 5” refractor, consider using the EXOS-2 with a shorter focal length refractor.  The ED102 is a great scope and the focal length will be much more forgiving.  The ED80 even more so.

Have you selected a camera and guide scope yet?

-Steve

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 3:00 PM <duker@...> wrote:
Would anyone have any experience to share regarding the use of the
ES ED127mm Triplet and this ES EXOS2 mount.
The scope with accessories list at 22lbs, and want to ensure if this would be able to handle astro imaging with this payload.

Thanks in advance,.
--
Rob
Seaforth, Ontario
EXOSII-PMC8 Mount
Starwave 80ED
Starfield 50mm/ZWO ASI Guide Scope
Altair 224c/ZWO 183MC

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

duker@...

Yes, I currently use the 80mm now, with no issues, and have considered the 102mm. While I was in the market, I thought "why not" to the 127mm. I have duly noted your comments and appreciate that.
--
Rob
Seaforth, Ontario
EXOSII-PMC8 Mount
Starwave 80ED
Starfield 50mm/ZWO ASI Guide Scope
Altair 224c/ZWO 183MC

Wes Mcdonald

Rob

I use the Es carbon 127.  I have to weigh my rig but I have a moon light focuser beast, a filter wheel, asi071, extension tubes, 60mmx240 guide scope, an asi mm290 guide camera, electronics box for 12v distribution and dew control, two dew straps, a red dot finder, dew shield,and a usb hub all on the mount.   It works fine.  Guides to 1” or better typically, biggest issue being dec backlash.   Weight is not an issue I don’t believe.

I use both counterweights but they are about halfway of the weight bar.
I will weigh the rig and report back but I would be surprised if it’s not in the 20-22# range.   The exos 2 is pretty robust.