Exos 2 mount with PMC8

Baalu

Hello,

I have purchased the Exos II with PMC8 recently and have configured the same using Explore stars app and everything is fine. But when i am connecting to POTH via FTDI cable the Dec axis is not working. I am just hearing a humming sound.

kindly help.

BobH

Baalu, when you state you configured everything with the Explore Stars app - do you mean the one of the Window's utilities (PMC8 Configuration Manager, used to update the firmware; and/or PMC8 UFCT, used to adjust several parameters retained in the PMC8 non-volatile memory), or the application (PC or tablet) that allows you to star-align your mount and then slew to various targets from its catalog, and to control the mount's motion manually with a virtual-handset controller?

If the later, can you successfully slew the mount in all 4 directions using that ES application? If so, were you making the connection from ES to the PMC8 via the wireless hotspot connection, or over the FTDI cable?
--
Cheers, Bob
(A recently retired CTO, returning to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus...)

Mounts: EXOS-II/PMC-8 (new); SkyWatcher Star Tracker; Meade LXD55; Celestron EQ Fork
Optics: RedCat-51; 1980's Celestron C-11; Meade AR5; Various DSLR lenses
Cameras: ASI071MC & ASI183MC (DSO); ASI178MC (Lunar/Planetary); ASI290MM (guiding); Sony A700 DSLR (desperation)
Misc: Pegasus Pocket Power Adv (power mgmt, USB hub, dew control); ZWO EAF; ZWO 1-Filter Drawer;
PCs: Dell Latitude Laptop, Win10Pro (ASCOM, near-mount control); Pi4b, Linux/Stellarmate (INDI, on-mount control);
         Home-built Workstation, Win10Pro (remote control, processing); Galaxy S6 Tablet
Capture Software: PHD2; SharpCap4 Pro /w ASTAP; NINA; Stellarium; ASCOM 6.5.1; Stellarmate/EKOS/INDI;
Processing SW: PixInsight; Deep Sky Stacker; GIMP; F4W2HDU; Autostakkert; PIPP; RegiStax6
Wish-list: 5-inch class APO; Losmandy/PMC8 G-11; RASA-11?
Favorites: Vast glowing clouds of gas and dust

Baalu

Hey Bob,

First of all thanks for your response.

1. Configured means - In windows 10 using a config manager used to update the firmware.

2. When i slew to targets in stellarium, it slews in RA and Dec accordingly without any problems. ( for fine tuning in centering the object using POTH the Dec Axis is not working).

3. When I am using Explore stars app in windows, i am connecting using wifi connection and can do all functions like slew to object, 2 star alignment, manual slew etc.

My problem is only while using POTH which as per my knowledge is the only ASCOM virtual handset controller.

kindly guide.

BobH

Ah, that's clear. In the current version of the firmware/ASCOM driver, there is a bug in "rate slew" logic, that will only happen when you use the POTH virtual control pad. The developer's are close to releasing updated versions that fix several related infelicities - they've tested out fine for me, I regularly use POTH to move the mount around, with this new code (in test.) Both Rate and Amount slews operate correctly. This problem does not materialize with other ASCOM software that connects to the mount through POTH - so tools such as PHD2, Stellarium, SharpCap, NINA et al should work fine now while awaiting the fix.
--
[...]

Thanks for the clarity, awaiting for the driver update…..

Meanwhile what are the other virtual hand controllers that i can use.

Baalu

On Thu, 26 May 2022 at 7:27 AM, BobH via groups.io <bobhehmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sam Chunglee

Does this affect the newer ASCOM Device Hub or just POTH?

BobH

Within ASCOM itself, DevHub provides this functionality. DevHub is installed by default, and provides the same "hub" functionality as POTH - it is, in fact, POTH's replacement. It has a few issues of its own, slightly different foibles than POTH, but certainly functional. You set it up the same way as POTH - Run DevHub, select the PMC8 driver as DevHub's telescope/mount - then connect all other ASCOM applications to DevHub.

If you've already configured the PMC8-ASCOM driver (POTH setup, descending down to the driver), that info is associated with the driver, not the hub, so it will carry over.

I'm a SharpCap user to control my camera, cooling, focus, filters, scripting, polar-alignment et al - it also connects to either hub, and presents a directional controller in its own interface. SC is free to download and use - a few of the more advanced functions require the paid-for "Pro" version, but the free version works fine for most casual use. I believe NINA can also provide this - it is also free, but is a fairly comprehensive tool, really intended for end-to-end astro-photography image capture.

Where you go in the short to mid-term will depend a bit on what you normally do with your rig. There are a wide range of tools, with a lot of overlap, and your choices will probably be influenced by what you like to do most. Visual use can share a lot of tools, but is different from EAA, which is in turn somewhat different from astro-photography. Plenty of experienced folks here to help as you start to explore, and identify your interests.
--
[...]

Sam, I'll have to check my records and perhaps try a few things - it's been awhile since I tried the newer stuff with DHub. In initial testing, there were some minor differences between how the two hubs behaved with the current release. I'll try it again with the latest test software. Please give me a day or so.
--
[...]

Thanks Bob,

Will for sure try the same and let you know.

Thanks again.

Baalu