EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT pier #EXOS2

kevin power

Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

Andrew Houseman

The Orion pier will work well with a slight modification with a hack saw to widen the slot and shorten the pin.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 1:11 PM kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:
Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

kevin power

Thanks will look them up

The Orion pier will work well with a slight modification with a hack saw to widen the slot and shorten the pin.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 1:11 PM kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:
Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

shredderf16

Andrew,
   I don't see the pier on the Orion site. I only found a Meade pier that was very spendy. Are you talking about the tripod extension? I'm in the process of building a concrete pier with a 1/2 inch aluminum base plate.
Thanks,
Jerry Barth

Sent from my Sprint Tablet.

The Orion pier will work well with a slight modification with a hack saw to widen the slot and shorten the pin.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 1:11 PM kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:
Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

kevin power

An extension would work for me or a pier I could put legs on, it's mainly to stop any collisions.

Had no luck with Google trying to find anything so when home tomorrow I will measure everything up and see about making one or converting other brands?

Thanks

Kev

The Orion pier will work well with a slight modification with a hack saw to widen the slot and shorten the pin.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 1:11 PM kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:
Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

Wes Mcdonald

Jerry

Yes the Orion 16” extension is what Andrew was mentioning.   It fits into the exos2 tripod mount and also holds the mount head.  I have one.  As mentioned you have to open up the azimuth adjustment slot on the extension to fit over the azimuth adjustment pin on the tripod.

If you want to make it into a pier you could buy you will have to make an adapter to attach the Orion part bottom to the pier.

Kevin

The thing is listed in telescope.com. Orion part number 07393.  Orion sky view pro telescope mount extension.

kevin power

Thanks Wes

I'm in the UK and not having much luck tracking one down!

Kev

The thing is listed in telescope.com. Orion part number 07393.  Orion sky view pro telescope mount extension.

shredderf16

Thanks Wes. I'll  get one and report back on how to mount it to a leveling plate. I was going to take the legs off the tripod and attach the tripod top to the leveling plate but I think this will work better.
Jerry Barth

Sent from my Sprint Tablet.

The Orion pier will work well with a slight modification with a hack saw to widen the slot and shorten the pin.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 1:11 PM kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:
Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

kevin power

I will get measurements tomorrow and see what I can get myself or there are a few metal fabricators near me so I could design something and get them to make it.

The Orion pier will work well with a slight modification with a hack saw to widen the slot and shorten the pin.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 1:11 PM kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:
Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

This sounds very useful. I have pretty much abandoned meridian flips thanks to collisions. Last night I was tracking the Lagoon Nebula and the transit altitude was around 32 degrees. But while switching sides the telescope pitches up more steeply and sure enough the camera hit the tripod.

Given plate solving for alignment, I may have a workaround which is to track just past the time of transit, park at Polar Home, and from there goto the object now on the other side. The telescope does not point up so much this way.

Which leads me to wonder if there could one day be a software solution. Where is the algorithm for meridian flips contained? In the PMC-Eight firmware, the Ascom driver, Ascom or APT?
--
Paul
Lewisville, Texas

Wes Mcdonald

Paul

The meridian flip is managed by the ascom client. I think.  At least it could be.

If Nina or apt does a goto after meridian flip the driver just send the mount a point command that the firmware executes in ra and dec.

The driver does not cause a meridian flip if the mount is tracking.  It will just keep tracking, until a goto is asked for.  If the goto is in the other side of the meridian it will flip.

A client could set a direction and rate if it wanted to to cause the mount to flip, running either axis in any order and any rate.

I have found a slew to home usually clears the tripod from just about anywhere

Thanks Wes. Agreed, never had a problem slewing from or to home.

--
Paul Marshall
Lewisville, Texas
Mounts: ES PMC-Eight Exos2
ScopesES ED 102
Cameras:  ZWO ASI294MC Pro
Misc: ZWO ASI20MM + 60 mm f/4 scope for guiding
Software: SharpCap, PHD2, AstroPhotography Tool
Software: SharpCap, PHD2

Kristov48 <chrismence@...>

Edited

Hi, I’m from the UK too.
Ask Rother Valley Optics (RVO) about their heavy duty pier (£350 approx).
They may well be able to help.
Clear skies.

kevin power

Thanks

I have an engineering company giving me a price to make one but if it doesn't work out I will give them a call.

Kev

Ask Rother Valley Optics (RVO) about their heavy duty pier.
They may well be able to help.
Clear skies.

Gord Farmer

Hi there
I made a pier for mine .  Using only the head of the mount .
Removed the tripod legs .
I can send some photos and directions .
It’s extremely stable .

On Jun 19, 2021, at 1:11 PM, kevin power <kevinpower@...> wrote:

Hi all

One last question for now.

I'm in the UK but is there a pier for the EXOS-2 PMC-EIGHT? In the last year I have had a couple of collisions with telescopes hitting the tripod legs.

Do Explore Scientific make one or is there another brand that fits? Maybe it's a case of having to get one made?

Thanks

kevin power

Hi that would be great if you could.

Thanks