EXOSII PMC-8 PHD2 Pulse Guide Error and others issues

George <Aquaboy16081@...>

I have dug through the forum and seen plenty of posts, but can't seem to find any solutions that match my problem, though it has been posted about. Also, they all seem to be slightly dated and there has been a lot of updates between ES firmware, PHD2, and ASCOM. That said I have had a love-hate relationship with the EXOSII, but wanted to find a new life for it. So I figured out how to get All Sky Plate Solver, POTH, and Stellarium to talk finally. I tested that out last night and was successful at locating every single target with this method. It is not super convenient, but also not bad.

So here's my problem.  The new ES firmware allows for simultaneous communication over both the serial and the wifi, so I don't know if it is necessary or valid to switch the communication method in the PMCEight Manager. As stated, I could effectively communicate over POTH with Stellarium and ASPS. I thought I might try to check in with PHD2 as there was some drift (I didn't get perfectly polar aligned) and wanted to test it with the mount. However I encountered a Pulse Guide Error message with PHD2 not being ale to control the mount. No real reason that I am aware of for this. It just didn't want to seem to move the mount.

  1. I tried the Manual Test and it wouldn't register any movement while watching a guide star.
  2. Had other instances of "Not enough movement" I think those were mostly in the East-West calibration, but can't remember for sure. I was getting frustrated a little, and since my primary purpose last night was proof of function for the plate solving, I wasn't paying the attention I should have.
  3. I did have some frequent image drops through my camera connection (that's a separate issue).
  4. I did at one point turn of the enable server option, saw a post about turning that back on so I have, will test that later.
  5. Have seen multiple posts about checking the PHD2 port??? Honestly did searches to find out how to check that and couldn't even figure out where to look at what Port PHD2 is using.
  6. I've attached PHD2 logs, perhaps someone else can make sense of what I'm experiencing.

I'm frustrated, I want to love the mount. It's been sitting collecting dust while I use another brand mount because it is more user friendly. But let's be honest, the EXOS2 is built like a tank with belt drive and a larger payload capacity than most in its price range. Now that I know how to use it to navigate around to the objects I want, the guiding is my only real issue for a really solid imaging rig.

EXOS II GT PMC-Eight
Skywatcher Quattro 8"
ATIK One 6.0 with OAG and ATIK GP guide camera (camera routed through built in USB hub on ATIK One)
Stellarium (Latest vers.)
ASCOM (latest vers.)
PHD2 (latest vers.)

Hope someone can think of a solution that I can't find or think of.

Best Regards,
George McBroom

George

 I have the EXOS 2GT but with different equipment but with similar problem in PHD2.  Several thing I've found is that with my 50mm guide scope and ZWO120mm camera. If i can get a guide star selected and scope is guiding error disappears not sure why. Is your built in mount Hub powered I found this seem to be a must. I have a separate USB 3 powered hub with 7 ports. Then from the scope to my computer I have a 50 ft powered cable for I can set inside when cold outside. I didn't see this problem before the last updates of PHD2, CDC, Apt and SharpCap. I was on ASCOM 6.4 using Poth have Update to ASCOM 6.5 SP1 but still using Poth I hope this solves my problems. PHD2 works inside know just need to get it under clear skies to verify it works again when it can select a star. I do like the mount. I had to do all the tuning for the mount that has been posted. I'm been doing a 2 star align high in the sky using plate solve 2 after polar alignment and then a final slew to Jupiter then if need plate solving for Jupiter for final alignment. I haven't need to guide on Jupiter or Saturn as the mount If taken to excellent in SharpCap has been keeping the planets centred just using tracking. Anyway I'm sold on Powered hubs.

Micheal

IExos-100 and EXOS2GT both running PMC-Eight version 20A01.1
Svbony 503 80MM f7 w/ Orion 0.8 field flattener
Celestron 150mm C6n f7 w/motor focuser w/ FCUSB Motor Controller
Cameras Canon T7, ZWO 224, ZWO 120mm
Svbony 50 mm guide scope on 80mm Scope
Svbony 60 mm guide Scope on 150 mm Scope
On order DewBuster controller
ASCOM 6.5 with Poth. Cartes Du Ciel for mount control, SharpCap for Polar alignment and planetary photos
Astro Photography Tool, platesolve2, PHD2 for guiding, and Stellarium for object framing only.

On 10/10/2021 1:10 PM, George via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Stan

I don't have much experience since I just started guiding, but I have played around with PHD2 on the EXOS2 using my main scope and camera. I'll add the following in case the powered hub problem is not a solution.

I know many do guide successfully with the EXOS2 and certainly, there should be no issue with communications between the EXOS2 ASCOM driver and PHD2. Furthermore, the fact that you are using POTH and Stellarium to move the mount means the COM port has been set correctly. Looking at the log (which I don't claim to understand completely), it does show that connection the the PMC8 Ascom driver is successful (open the debug file a search for 'pmc'), so that is not the source of your problem.

Since this is probably setup related, you might get some help at the phd forum. https://groups.google.com/g/open-phd-guiding

There are people there that DO understand the log files very well.

Hope this helps.

--
Mounts: ES EXOS2 PMC-8
Scopes: Skywatcher Evostar 120ED