Expected tracking times *Unguided #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL

JB1983

Tried again, rechecked everyhting and no go.  I'll try and track down a bull modem connector and see if it switching the pins works.

This cable had great reviews on Amazon and I have seen some where people complained the pins were reverse but thisbwasnt one of them. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I seen another post on the forum where he had gone through a few cables from different brands before he got one that worked.  Wonder if that may because of pin placement as well

Thomas Olson

The reasons people are using FTDI is because FTDI provides a program tool to invert the DTR line from normal. Its a quark with the parallax DTR configuration used in the PMC8. If you haven't inverted the DTR configuration on you adapter it won't work except to program the firmware.

On the other hand if you want to use any brand USB2 to Serial adapter chip, you only need to be able to disconnect the DTR line from passing throught. You can just make a straight through 9pin female to 9 pin male cable adapter.
Just don't connect the DTR line on the PMC8 side. Instead tie the DTR (pin4) to GND (pin5) on the PMC8 side.

On 6/20/19 9:06 PM, JB1983 wrote:
Tried again, rechecked everyhting and no go.  I'll try and track down a bull modem connector and see if it switching the pins works.

This cable had great reviews on Amazon and I have seen some where people complained the pins were reverse but thisbwasnt one of them. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I seen another post on the forum where he had gone through a few cables from different brands before he got one that worked.  Wonder if that may because of pin placement as well

Wes Mcdonald

JB

Post the cable part number.  Perhaps I can tell from the specs what is what.  Inverted DTR would wack things as would reversed pin out.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

JB1983

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 01:17 AM, Thomas Olson wrote:
Hi Thomas

I want to clarify your statement about the DTR. The standard default settings for the FTDI cables and adapters that are recommended work out of the box with the PMC-Eight when communicating using the ASCOM driver and also when loading the firmware as long as the adapter pinout includes the DTR. Apparently some cables/adapters that have been purchased do not.

I don't want anyone to be confused about this based on what you have experienced using the INDI driver.
Because of peculiarities in the LINUX operating system as discovered by Michael Fulbright, the INDI driver developer, and NOT the PMC-Eight, the DTR line needs to be inverted to allow it to communicate with the INDI driver.

Also your statement above about using the FTDI chipset is NOT because they provide a utility to invert the DTR signal in general. That is again only specifically for the LINUX INDI platform. I would amend your statement and say it this way:
"The reasons people are using FTDI is because FTDI provides a program tool to invert the DTR line from normal. Its a quark with the parallax DTR configuration used in the PMC8 which gives the LINUX operating system a problem."

Again, I want to reiterate that if anyone with the PMC-Eight purchases a Serial DB9 to USB adapter cable that has been shown to work, it works right out of the box, no need to worry about the DTR signal.
I recommend the Parallax version because it has been certified to work with the processor in the PMC-Eight system.

Let me know if there are any further questions about this.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

As in my previous post,  there is no reason to get "wrapped around the axle" about the DTR pinout other than to make sure the adapter includes it.  The description of this cable says that all the standard RS232 signals are handled. This cable should work fine based on it's description.

"Gold Plated USB 2.0 to RS232 Male DB9 Serial Cable, Connect Serial DB9(9 PIN) Devices such as a modem to a USB port on your computer. Installed as a standard Windows COM ports, Full RS-232 modem control signals, RS-232 data signals; TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RI, GND "

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

JB1983

Thanks very much for the input Jerry.  I guess I'm kind of at a loss as to why the cable isnt working then.   Its using the latest FTDI drivers, computer recognizes it when its plugged in to USB.    Tried different USB ports, resetting the pmc8 and computer.   Is it possible that even though the drivers are loaded correctly and the computer detects it that it may just straight up be a faulty cable or chipset?

I found another cable with the same description by a different company on Amazon, I may order that one.

JB1983

Edited

This is one of the other options available

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Converter-Adapter-Prolific-Chipset/dp/B00QUZY4UG/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?keywords=ftdi+usb+to+rs232&qid=1561134133&s=gateway&sprefix=ftdi&sr=8-12

Edit     Just released this has the prolific chipset. Think I seen someplace that these arent very good

Wes Mcdonald

JB

I believe the pin-out of the cable you have is correct.  So perhaps it is the DTR line.  It should be low.  Jerry, if the DTR line is high, what happens?

Someone else posted his had the DTR line inverted., and he had to correct that, included instructions for setting it in his post.  I believe it was in this thread.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Thomas Olson

Thanks Jerry for you further clarification. I probably could word it differently. The point I was leading to is that the DTR line has to be GROUND level for the PMC8 to work and one way to ensure that regardless of brand of chips used. And that is most likely the issue with various adapters is if support DTR and have it in the correcct polarity.
Sorry for any confusion. Been staring at the stars too late too often. too tired.
Tom

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 05:16 PM, Thomas Olson wrote:
Sorry for any confusion. Been staring at the stars too late too often. too tired.

No worries Tom,  I just didn't want those that are new to the PMC-Eight to think that they had to use some other program to manage the DTR, that is unless they are trying to run the PMC-Eight under LINUX INDI, or MacOS INDI. I have tried to make it as easy as possible to connect up and use the PMC-Eight with a computer, but there is a minimal amount of learning that needs to take place when getting into ASCOM and multiple clients and all that jazz.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data