Explore Stars GoTo Broken with new firmware #iEXOS-100

Jake Carroll

After many hours, I was finally able to figure out how to update my iexos 100 mount firmware on my MacBook running bootcamp....

Great. I used the universal configuration manager as well, set my hemisphere and to track if comm is lost.

Now, I tried to run some tests with Explore Stars. It connects and I can slew the mount using the controls, but any/all attempts to use Goto fail.

When I select any object from the catalog and press the "Slew to object" button, the mount begins to slew, then stops, and I lose all function/connection with the app.

I have to restart the explore stars app and reconnect to the mounts wifi to start over.

I have tried this with both the Explore Stars iPad and Android (Fire) apps. Same result.

This worked fine on the old firmware.

Looking for some help so my mount has goto functionality as expected and as it did before this upgrade.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 10:10 PM, Jake Carroll wrote:
I have tried this with both the Explore Stars iPad and Android (Fire) apps. Same result.

This worked fine on the old firmware.

Looking for some help so my mount has goto functionality as expected and as it did before this upgrade.

Hi Jake,

I am sorry you are having this problem. There are a couple of things you can try to figure out what is going on. First if you could to help me understand your configuration, please use the Universal Firmware Configuration Tool (UFCT) to Reboot and Show the Splash Screen and copy the text from the terminal window and post it here on this thread. Typically if the ExploreStars is having problems maintaining connectivity it is directly related to the amount of WiFi traffic in the local area and the first possible remedy is to change the WiFi channel. Usually channels 1, 6, and 11 are the best channels to use, but they may also have the most traffic. The default channel when the firmware is first started is channel 11. I assume your location has not changed where you are using ExploreStars so the local traffic may be the same as before.

Just to clarify, we did not make any changes to the firmware that changed the WiFi module configuration. The configuration is the same as in the previous versions of the firmware. The only change is that we now control communication using the serial port at the same time we control the WiFi communications. This is through 2 separate communications drivers so they are independent. The simplest configuration to test to see if the WiFi works with ExploreStars is to make sure you are not connected to the serial port at all to ensure that there is nothing coming in there that might interrupt the WiFi. So make sure you are not connected with the serial cable while you are trying to use ExploreStars.

That is all I can suggest right now. Report back with your configuration data and you\r test results when you get a chance.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jake

Do you have autoslew disabled in Explorestars?  If so you have to press goto on the main page after pressing slew to object in the catalog page

I just tested it all on iexos and iPad.  All good here.  But in fact I got surprised by the need for goto.... easy to forget.

Jake Carroll

Below is the text from my reboot-show splash screen.

My location is the same, no change to Wifi traffic. On Channel 11.

I tried several more times this morning, same result. It starts to slew the mount, then stops after 1/2 second and my connection drops.

Copyright 2021 Explore Scientific, LLC.
INSTRUCTIONS ------------------------------------------------
(A) CONNECT Host Computer to PMC-Eight Serial Port
(B) Power Up PMC-Eight and SELECT Correct COM Port
(C) PRESS GET Current Configuration to Update Display
(D) SELECT/ENTER New Values including SELECTING the Mount Type
    as needed, and PRESS SET New Confiiguration
07:39:00.535
07:39:00.550 BUSY! Please Wait...
07:39:06.567
07:39:06.576 BUSY! Please Wait...
07:39:11.566
07:39:11.567 BUSY! Please Wait...
07:39:15.622 ESGi1152001101040040000900060011001!
07:39:20.603 ESGi1152001101040040000900060011001!
07:40:06.774 REBOOTING PMC-Eight System...
07:40:06.774 ESB!

07:40:12.014 ==================================================
07:40:12.046 Initializing PMC-Eight ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13
07:40:12.061 ==================================================
07:40:12.077 Copyright 2013-2021 Explore Scientific LLC.
07:40:12.077 Copyright 2013-2021 Gerald R Hubbell
07:40:12.093 1010 South 48th Street, Springdale, AR 72762
07:40:12.093 PMC-Eight Support 1-866-252-3811
07:40:12.093 http://www.explorescientificusa.com
07:40:12.093 Portions of FIRMWARE covered by MIT LICENSE terms
07:40:12.108 --------------------------------------------------
07:40:12.108 Explore Scientific PMC-Eight Controller - Startup
07:40:12.108 BAUD Rate Value: P0 115200
07:40:12.124 WiFi Protocol: P2 UDP/IP
07:40:12.124 WiFi Chan Number: 11
07:40:12.124 Continuous Track with no Comms: P4 TRUE
07:40:12.139 RA Run on Boot: P5 Not Running
07:40:12.139 Hemisphere set to: P6 North
07:40:12.139 Guide Rate Fraction RA: P7.40
07:40:12.139 Guide Rate Fraction DEC: P8.40
07:40:12.139 Mount Type Designator: P9.0
07:40:12.139 Unit type: ES1A01CB20A01, ESP8266, DST4
07:40:12.139 Slew current: 900ma
07:40:12.139 Track current: 600ma
07:40:12.155 Digital ST4 port detected
07:40:12.155 ST4 Port Enabled

Jake Carroll

No, it is not disabled, as far as I can tell. I wouldn't even know how to disable it, let alone disable it on both the tablets I tried it on. Nonetheless after pushing slew to object it completely drops the connection and I have to restart, so I can't just press go-to on the main page after that.

Wes Mcdonald

Jake what are u using to power the mount?

Jake Carroll

I am using a generic 12v wired power supply, which has always worked fine before testing goto before this firmware update.

You can see what is happening here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4edyq5c7j66syj/Video%20Apr%2023%2C%207%2035%2001%20AM.mov?dl=0

Wes Mcdonald

Jake:

The red light is the power light.  The fact that the red light goes out indicates the 12v power dropped out.  The unit then rebooted.

If you watch the unit for 9-10 seconds after the red comes back on again you will see the green light begin flashing.

The red light NEVER goes out unless power is removed.

Wes.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM Jake Carroll via groups.io <jcarroll=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am using a generic 12v wired power supply, which has always worked fine before testing goto before this firmware update.

You can see what is happening here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4edyq5c7j66syj/Video%20Apr%2023%2C%207%2035%2001%20AM.mov?dl=0

Jake

In my view something is up with your particular setup is amiss.  Based on your video it just about has to be your power.

Jake Carroll

Wes,

Thank you; it seems you are on to it. I tried again this time using my mobile power source, which is of course what I would be using anyway when outside. And, sure enough, it worked without any issues.

What I can’t fathom is why my wired power supply/mount setup worked just fine with goto before the firmware upgrade, and why it works fine with manually slewing the mount as well with the new firmware.

On Apr 23, 2021, at 8:56 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Jake

In my view something is up with your particular setup is amiss.  Based on your video it just about has to be your power.

Jake

It is possible this is because the slew current setting being higher is an innovation. You could test this theory by setting your slew Mac current to 600 and see what happens then.

The reason it works with the arrows is that slew current would not be high at low speeds.

Glad you are good to go.

Jake Carroll

That makes sense. Thanks for the timely and incredibly helpful assistance!!