Topics

Explore Stars Has Disappeared Again

Cosmo Kingsnake

Gone. It was running just fine. Put the tablet away and the next time I started it up the icon for Explore Stars is gone. This is the third time this has happened. Wouldn't this have been fun to discover at a remote observing site?

As I have previously begged - this needs to be installable from a NON MICROSOFT STORE source. Sorry for the "shouting" but I am sick of trying to deal with this. Lovely system, lovely telescope. Totally unacceptable to have to deal with MS problems.

Explore stars works great, until MS kills it again.

David Pickett

I do not use a tablet, but have downloaded onto my Windows 10 laptop and have not had any problems with the App disappearing. Why is it a different situation with a tablet, and are other people also hit with this problem?

As far as I recall, I didnt have to sign into Microsoft Store (as I have never downloaded any other Windows 10 app from it): I just followed the link at https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/explorestars-software

By the way, the link on the same page to "a complete users manual" doesnt work.

David

At 20:43 06-12-17, klneely@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Gone. It was running just fine. Put the tablet away and the next time I started it up the icon for Explore Stars is gone. This is the third time this has happened. Wouldn't this have been fun to discover at a remote observing site?

As I have previously begged - this needs to be installable from a NON MICROSOFT STORE source. Sorry for the "shouting" but I am sick of trying to deal with this. Lovely system, lovely telescope. Totally unacceptable to have to deal with MS problems.

Explore stars works great, until MS kills it again.

Cosmo Kingsnake

I also have it on my desktop and on a laptop. No issues at all there. Just on the device I actually use does it disappear! I'm glad I didn't discover this in the field. After 40 years in the I.T. business I don't need the troubleshooting practice anymore. :-)

KN

r_hoskin@...

I wonder if you just got Fall Creators?  I just Googled "windows 10 disappearing apps" and got over 400k hits back. Looks like you're not alone.  There are a few suggested fixes, not sure what's available to you on your tablet.  From what I saw, I wonder how much difference a store install vs sideload install would have made.

I did try Explorestars on Win10 pro (laptop) for a couple of weeks.  Took Fall Creators myself.  I didn't have your issue, but I had others with Win10, and I've banished it, at least until MS comes to their senses.  I'll stay with Win7 Pro for now - at least it's feature-stable.

I may take another look at Explorestars again, for visual, after the Android kit comes out.  That on a pocketable phablet might be nice.

Cosmo Kingsnake

I also wonder. I'll wait a day or two and see what I can find out. I shouldn't admit this but I'm so angry about it I can't even think straight. No wonder people love their Mac's..

r_hoskin@...

40 year IT vet here, as well.  Understand completely.  In spades, but you may have guessed that :-)

If you're having trouble finding a fix that you're happy with, you could try rolling the update back to your previous build, to buy time.

Wes Mcdonald

Totally biased against Microsoft Windows myself.  I gave it up when I discovered I spent all my spare time working on the three Windows PC/Laptops in my family.  Bagged it all and flipped to Mac.  But, I will say so far Windows 7 and 10 have been pretty good.  Haven't had the issue yet on my tablet and Explorestars.  But now that I said that, I guess I will soon.

Good luck to us all, and one of these days soon Jerry will have his Android version up.  Hope it is ok.

Wes.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM, r_hoskin@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

40 year IT vet here, as well.  Understand completely.  In spades, but you may have guessed that :-)

If you're having trouble finding a fix that you're happy with, you could try rolling the update back to your previous build, to buy time.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi All,

I replied to Ken in a private message that I forwarded to our Windows ExploreStars developer (and also Android developer) Dan Dickerson, and hope to hear something soon from him. As far as the progress on the Android version, the good news is that we are in the final weeks of testing as the application is pretty much feature complete and we are fine tuning a few things and testing under the stars. The feedback from our Director of Quality, Alex Sanchez is that the Android app works fine. An added bonus is that the WiFi seems to be more stable than that on Windows 10. I have seen this myself on my Samsung Tab A running Nougat.

We hope to be able to release the Android app after the first of the year.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.