Explore Stars WIFI not working

wayne archard

I bought a new Ipad and downloaded the IO PMC-Eight database.  I connect to the Ipad and it shows connected PMC-Eight-76 in my settings/wifi connections.  When I open Explore Stars and try to move the mount with the UDRL controls or the compass rose control nothing happens.  It's as if there is no connection.  The indicator lights on the control box seem to be correct.  I have a solid red light, a solid green, a slowly flashing green and a fast flashing green.  I have shut down the system and rebooted, pushed the reset button, shut down the ipad and rebooted to no avail.  All cable connections are tight.  When I use my windows laptop connected serially everything works fine.  Thanks for your help.
Wayne

Wes Mcdonald

Wayne

So tell me the settings in the UFCT splash screen.

wayne archard

wayne archard <warchard67@...>

Sep 5, 2021, 3:23 PM (1 day ago)
to wesmc6
Wes.  Here is the spash screen you requested.  I went into the PMC-8 Configuration MGR. and clicked connect via TCP.  Once that connected the Ipad started working. I have Configuration Mgr. and UFCT on my windows laptop computer.  Can I download them to the IOS Ipad system and if so do I need to go to the Config. Mgr each time I want to use the Ipad to control Explore Stars or will it remember it?  Thank you.
Wayne

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 10:48 AM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Wayne

So tell me the settings in the UFCT splash screen.

Wayne

The splash screen is what happens when you press the reboot and show splash screen button

The screen indicates you have an exos2. Is that  true?

If you have and exos 2 you can communicate via wifi in either tcp or udp mode on the pmc8 as the WiFi module does not care which you set

If you have an iexos 100 you must set the comms mode to udp.  This can be done with the configuration manager or the dongle

There is no UFCT or config manager for the iPad you must use the pc for those and to update your firmware.

Please put your equipment in your signature to help us out.

Send the splash screen obtained from the reboot and show splash screen.  It has all the system information

wayne archard

Wes, here is the splash screen.  The ipad controls the Explore Stars as long as I'm  just using it alone with WIFI.  When I connect the PMC-8 serially to my windows 10 laptop I can't get the ipad to work at the same time with the mount.  I don't know if there is a sequence to connect them or what.  If there is, can you give me the step by step procedure?  I'm just going to list my equipment at the end of this email.  I don't know how to do this signature thing you reference.  I'm in my mid 70s and not that computer literate.  Thank you for your help.
Wayne
Exos 2 GT, PMC-8, Vixen GPD 2 Starbook S, Meade LX200 GPS ALT/AZ
Vixen VMC 200, ES 80mm APO Triplet, Meade 8" ACF
Dell Inspiron laptop, Ipad 10" tablet
Polemaster, PHD 2, Cartes Du Ciel, Backyard EOS, Canon 60D modified
60mm guide scope, ASI120 mini guide camera
Retired car sales person
Summer Wells ME, Winter Titusville FL

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 6:07 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Wayne

The splash screen is what happens when you press the reboot and show splash screen button

The screen indicates you have an exos2. Is that  true?

If you have and exos 2 you can communicate via wifi in either tcp or udp mode on the pmc8 as the WiFi module does not care which you set

If you have an iexos 100 you must set the comms mode to udp.  This can be done with the configuration manager or the dongle

There is no UFCT or config manager for the iPad you must use the pc for those and to update your firmware.

Please put your equipment in your signature to help us out.

Send the splash screen obtained from the reboot and show splash screen.  It has all the system information

wayne archard

Wes the reason I want to use the ipad to control the mount is that last year I was using the laptop which is 5 lbs. and very difficult to hold and operate while looking into the eyepiece to see what the adjustments were doing.  If I set it on the table I had to keep jumping up to look into the eyepiece then run back to the laptop to stop the adjustment from going too far.  Very frustrating.
Wayne

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM wayne archard <warchard67@...> wrote:
[...]

1.  Be sure your PC does not connect to the wifi of the pmc8.  Forget the network and don't let it connect.
2.  Once PC will not connect via wifi, boot the PMC8.
3.  At this point you may connect your PC serially with stellarium under ascom or stellarium natively I believe.  But honestly I have not tested dual mode operation with stellarium direct to PMC8, only via ASCOM hub or Poth.
4.  You may connect the Ipad to the wireless and it should control the mount.

5.  The firmware knows ASOM has priority.  EXplorestars can issue commands when ascom is in a state, such as tracking, that allows EXplorestars to do something.

It should work well.

Wes.

wayne archard

Wes I did as you instructed and connected the laptop serially to the PMC-8, then hooked up CDC with POTH Telescope.  I slewed to M31.  I opened Explore Stars on my ipad with Wifi and tried to move the mount with the UDRL buttons.  No response.  Do I need to put ASCOM, POTH and CDC on my ipad?
Wayne

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 10:52 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Wayne:

1.  Be sure your PC does not connect to the wifi of the pmc8.  Forget the network and don't let it connect.
2.  Once PC will not connect via wifi, boot the PMC8.
3.  At this point you may connect your PC serially with stellarium under ascom or stellarium natively I believe.  But honestly I have not tested dual mode operation with stellarium direct to PMC8, only via ASCOM hub or Poth.
4.  You may connect the Ipad to the wireless and it should control the mount.

5.  The firmware knows ASOM has priority.  EXplorestars can issue commands when ascom is in a state, such as tracking, that allows EXplorestars to do something.

It should work well.

Wes.

Wayne:

No, you cannot load ascom etc on your ipad.  They are for PC only.

I trust you connected the ipad to the wifi for the pmc8?  Also, you made sure the PC did not connect to the pmc8 wifi correct?

So try this:

1.  Disconnect all serial stuff from pmc8.  Ensure PC is not connected to pmc8 wifi.
2.  Stop all instances of explorestars on the ipad.  there can be only one.  Do you know how to get rid of applications on the ipad?  You click the round button to show all applications and you sweep them up.  You have to do this to get rid of an old Exlorestars.  If you dont it aint gonna work.  Old sessions will not connect correctly.
3.  disconnect the ipad from the pmc8 wifi.
4.Reboot the pmc8.
5. Connect the ipad to the pmc8 wifi
6.  Boot the Explorestars.  Can you move the mount?

Assuming you can move the mount, now redo steps 1-3 as appropriate.

Then do:
1.  Connect serial cable from PC to PMC8.  Ensure PC wifi cannot connect to pmc8 wifi
2.  Boot POTH.  Connect poth to mount.
3.  Connect the ipad to the pmc8 wifi
4.  Boot Explorestars -- this is important.  It must not have been running already, see step 2 in the first sequence.
5.  Does the mount respond to Explorestars?  It should.

Assuming you get this far,
1.  boot CdC.  connect CdC to Poth
2.  Does explorestars still command the mount? LDU buttons.
3.  Do a goto with the CDC, making sure the ipad indicates the explorestars is in T mode.

Generally the Explorestars needs to be in T mode before it is given control.  This mode change is automatic in the ipad when you press LRDU or menu etc.  Make sure this is happening.

Let me know how you do.
Wes.

wayne archard

Wes.  SUCCESS!!!!!  I think it was the not deleting the open Explore Stars app on the ipad that was the problem.  I even got the old Android tablet to work with it.  Thanks for all your help and I hope not to bother you again.
Wayne

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 5:50 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
[...]

Glad it worked out for you!

That thing where the app needs to be closed is one of those stupid little tricks.  Important though!

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

How is everything going Wayne, i just wanted to make sure you got everything up and running?

--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

wayne archard

Tyler I'm if you're referring to my issues back in Sept. yes they are fixed.  Unfortunately I'm having some new issues.  Two nights ago I had my Exos 2 GT out with my Vixen VMC 200L scope.  I had finished a perfect  Polemaster polar alignment and was performing a 2 star Explore Stars alignment.  When I centered the stars and hit enter and sync the stars drifted out of the eyepiece within a few seconds.  I tried the moon in the east and Jupiter and Saturn in the west with the same result.  I had leveled the tripod before installing the mount so that shouldn't have been an issue.  The eyepiece I used gave a power of 81X so there should not have been that much movement.  When I was trying to center the stars in the alignment they would not stop moving even after I let go of the UDRL buttons.
   The other issue I'm having is when I'm serially connected using POTH telescope with Cartes du Ciel and I use the Poth NSEW buttons to move the scope, when I let go of the buttons the scope keeps moving and will not stop even when I hit the center button which usually stops the movement.
Wayne

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 10:11 AM Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tyler@...> wrote:
How is everything going Wayne, i just wanted to make sure you got everything up and running?

--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Hey Wayne, how are you powering the mount?

its not a jog, do you have the degree changed. i think you have something clicked by chance as far as degree wise.

are you jogging or moving the mount in just the ra off the polaris.

I hope this makes sense.
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

wayne archard

I have a fully charged battery pack.  On POTH I used the next to the lowest speed .020 and 1 or 3 degrees and it made no difference.  I did have the track box unchecked and It may be the culprit.  That still doesn’t answer why i had the same issue with the PMC 8 using Wi-Fi.  By the way what does jog do on POTH? I’ll try again the next clear night I get.  As to your last question of moving the mount in RA off the Polaris I don’t understand.  I’m moving the mount in RA and DEC to center the object but once started the mount won’t stop.  I’m assuming if I use the degree setting in POTH the mount will stop after it has moved that amount.  Is this correct?  Thanks
Wayne

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:29 PM Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tyler@...> wrote:
Hey Wayne, how are you powering the mount?

its not a jog, do you have the degree changed. i think you have something clicked by chance as far as degree wise.

are you jogging or moving the mount in just the ra off the polaris.

I hope this makes sense.
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

yes what is the degree setting you have in POTH.

nevermind about the polaris comment.
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

wayne archard

I generally don’t use degrees but minutes or less.  On the Poth chart you can chose up to several degrees or just seconds I think.  Generally I use .020 or .5.  The print is so small it’s hard to read.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:56 PM Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tyler@...> wrote:
yes what is the degree setting you have in POTH.

nevermind about the polaris comment.
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

How is Cart De Ceil with the mount, does that program run it ok or is it just poth in general.

Im just trying to understand, lets try to mess with the speed on the poth controller.

--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

wayne archard

Cartes du Ciel runs fine with POTH.  In the past I would ask CDC to find an object and it would slew close to it.  Then I’d use the NSEW buttons on POTH to center it in the eyepiece.  The scope would slew after I touched the button and stop when I touched the button in the center of the NSEW display.  Now it no longer stops.  It’s the same problem I’m having with Explore Stars using the UDRL buttons.  When I let up the buttons the scope keeps moving instead of stopping.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 5:29 PM Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tyler@...> wrote:
How is Cart De Ceil with the mount, does that program run it ok or is it just poth in general.

Im just trying to understand, lets try to mess with the speed on the poth controller.

--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

wayne archard

I don’t see any speed control on the POTH chart.