ExploreStars 2 or 3 Star Alignment. #iEXOS-100 #ExploreStars #alignment

Derrell Oliver

Hey Guys,
Is there a way to select your own stars when doing alignments ?
Where I live trees block the view to the west and north west and the stars that come up on the app for me to choose from are too low to see,  for instance last night the stars from Cygnus and Lacerta were the ones in the west north west that were coming up for me to choose from. Is there a way for me to pick more visible stars that are higher up in the sky to align to ?
Thanks
--
Derrell Oliver

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

Wes Mcdonald

Derrell

In Android it is.  Start the alignment.  Then go to the catalog.  There you can pick your star.

Note you can also just hit next over and over until the auto-selected star is usable.  It is best to turn off auto align.  Otherwise the mount will try to go to each star as you press next.

Android works the best.  IOS version works well also, but it will not let you select a star....you can however use the next button to advance along  through the list.  It also has the ability to turn off auto align.

I'm not sure about the windows version.  Perhaps someone can chime in.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Derrell Oliver

Hi Wes,
I forgot to specify which device I'm using, I'm using an iPad Air.
Thanks.
--
Derrell Oliver

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

Jeff Snell

Hi Derrill,
Unfortunately not.  I asked the same question about two weeks ago.  The database in the PMC 8 only has about 100 stars to chose from, some pretty obscure and low magnitude from my location in Ogden UT.  I just thumbed thru the index of alignment stars and found a few to choose that were adequate.  I was advised to go to a serial connection and get a different program.

Maybe someone in the string has better info.

Good luck.

Jeff

On Jan 20, 2020, at 6:06 AM, Derrell Oliver <mtbkr123@...> wrote:

[...]

Forgot to add I have the IPad mini explorestars app.  That’s why Kent suggested I go serial and use another program...

Jeff

On Jan 20, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Jeff Snell via Groups.Io <Jeffery.snell1@...> wrote:

[...]

So last night I tried out the mount again with great results !!
Like Wes said, if you keep hitting next over and over the stars the app selects keeps getting higher in the sky so after about 20-25 hits I was able to align to Markab in the west and Pollux in the east...and make sure auto align is off also... maybe the next update to the iOS app will include the option to select a star that is visible to you right away instead of scrolling 25-30 times !!
--
Derrell Oliver

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

Wes Mcdonald

Derrell:

Glad it worked out for you!

One thing that does happen is you get fewer stars to select for star #2 and Star #3 of you go that far.  But I'm glad you had enough to get it done.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Derrell Oliver

Wes,
The #2 stars started low in Draco and walked up thru Ursa Major then jumped to Gemini :) I had no trouble aligning at all.
 The mount tracked great and I actually took a photo of M42 and posted it on the iEXOS-100 astrophotography group, it's only my third attempt at a deepsky photo.. I have a lot to learn.
Thanks again.
--
Derrell

Meade Infinity ST80 with Lunt Solar dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 90 with GSO dual speed crayford focuser.
Meade Polaris 130 with ScopeStuff 1.25 crayford focuser, flocked tube and center spotted mirror.
GSO 8x50 RACI finder scope.
ZWO ASI120mc-s, Canon XSi 450d.
EQ2 Mount with Orion EQ-2M RA Drive.
AZ3 Alt-Azimuth Mount.

Patrick

Hoe werkt de uitlijning op Android?
I ggo to catalog and pick a Stat and when I found it I push sync   I do this with 3 stars  when it's done  in go to a target but when I look it's not on the target I even try it also with the button sync only after the 3 star  but still the same
Mounth iexplore iEXOS 1000
Scope is celestron 130 x650
 Grt Patrick Joore

Wes Mcdonald

Patrick

What tablet are you using, windows, iPad, android?

Please fill out your signature block

The apps operate a bit differently and it is important to know which in order to help you.  From your description you are not doing this correctly.  Can tell better after you give us the tablet type.

Patrick

I have a Samsung galaxy A8 with android 9 it's from 2019 and the only software on it is the app explorestars and his database
Everything working but alignment not
I choose 3 stars ore 2 stars and after I found star 1 I push sync and enter  than choose second star and do the same and also with the 3 star alligmant I do the same so I expected than is correct but if I go to a target after the whole alligmant than he stop far away from the target I choose
Mayby I do the alignment wrong but I can not find a Description howe to alligmant on a tablet so I try different ways
Mvg Patrick joore

Op do 10 jun. 2021 14:23 schreef Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...>:

Patrick

What tablet are you using, windows, iPad, android?

Please fill out your signature block

The apps operate a bit differently and it is important to know which in order to help you.  From your description you are not doing this correctly.  Can tell better after you give us the tablet type.

Patrick

Ok. Here is what you do.

1.  Setup the mount and get it as level as possible.  Point it so the weight bar in on the north side and pointing down.  It is best to have found the home position by following the procedure in document you Can find in the mounts sub group in the files section.  Place the mount in the home position.

2.  Turn on the mount.  Connect the Android to the pmc8 WiFi network.  Boot Explorestars and see if you can move the mount manually.  Set the rate to 9 and use the left-right-up-down arrows to check motion.

3.  Go to the settings menu and in the upper left see if the auto align is off. If not toggle it to turn it off.

4.  Start the 2 star alignment.  The first star will be shown on the main display.  If you want to use it press the goto button to go to it. If you don’t want to use it press the next button to see the next selection.

5.  After the mount slews to the target you will need to carefully center the selected star in the eyepiece by using the arrows.  Set the rate to something manageable like 4 and center the correct star in the eyepiece.  You will probably need a red dot finder to ensure you are centering on the correct star.  If you center on the wrong star the alignment will not work.

6. After centering on the star you press ENTER button under the diagram.  Do not use the sync button.

7.  After you press enter, a second star selection will be offered.  If you like it you press goto.  If not press next.

8. Once the second star is gone to you center it again in the eyepiece and press ENTER.

9.  That completes the 2 star alignment.   The three star is exactly the same only three are used.  2 works well enough.

10.  Do a goto to a star you can easily identify.  Center that star in the eyepiece.  Now hit SYNC. You should be close now after gotos to other objects in the vicinity of that star you did a sync on.

11.  If you go to an object a long way from the star in step 10 you might have to recenter  a nearby star and hit sync again.

That’s it.  I believe the app in the play store works with Android 9.

Let us know how you do.

Patrick

Hello Wes
Thx for you respons
I try it when it's clear here in the Netherlands and I let you know
Once again thx
Grt Patrick Joore

Op do 10 jun. 2021 20:55 schreef Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...>:

[...]

Alcionio

Ciao.
Hi

Sorry if
I get in the way, but I can't find the document of the procedure for setting the starting position in the media subgroup in the files section. Can you help me please? Thank you
Meade LX200 8" - KSON 102C - Bresser C90 - EXOS 100 - QHY 5LII - Sony Alpha 5000

Il giorno gio 10 giu 2021 alle ore 20:55 Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> ha scritto:
[...]

Supporti  : IEXOS 100, MEADE LX200.
Scopes  : MEADE LX200 8" f / 10, BRESSER AR90S f / 5,5 (guida), KSON 102C f / 6.
Telecamere  : QHY 5L IIC, Nikon D70s, Sony Alpha 5000
Software: PCM-Eight, Sharpcap, PHD2, Stellarium , Grafico del cielo.

Jed Fish

It’s here:

Note that there is an empty folder titled Finding Home under the User Contributions folder in the Main group file section…
--
Jed Fish
ES ED102

Alcionio

Ty
👍

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM, Jed Fish wrote:
Note that there is an empty folder titled Finding Home under the User Contributions folder in the Main group file section…
Hi Jed, thanks for finding this error.  I just deleted the folder and put the file under user contributions. So now the file is available both in the Main forum and in the Mounts Subgroup.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data