EXplorestars and Android version 10

Wes Mcdonald

Folks:

Is anyone using the latest Explorestars App release with Android 10?  If so is it trouble free?  Are there any issues?  Some have been reported but we are trying to establish if the reported issues are related to specific tablets or the combination of Android 10 and the new App.

Also, is there anyone running Android 10 with the prior version of Explorestars?

Thanks,
Wes.

Patrick Maher

I didn't want to go the Android route but with the updated Android version of ExploreStars and because everyone claims it works great on a cheap Android tablet, I went out and purchased a cheap Lenovo Tab M8 with Android 10.  I've spent hours trying to get the tablet to recognize the SQLite file to no avail.  I've formatted the card every which way, installed the database and sqlite file every which way...  still nothing.  I've tried every way that has been described in a few posts here in this group and no method resulted in success.

If I format the SD card in my tablet, no matter which way I choose to format it, Windows cannot/won't copy files to the card.  If I format the SD card in Windows, I can copy the necessary folder (unzipped) to the card but then I get the sqlite failure when I open ExploreStars.  And, yes, I've mounted the card and allowed the necessary permissions in the Android settings.

Everything else on the tablet works as expected even Skysafari, Stellarium, Skeye, and I tried Synscan Pro.  I know the tablet is fine.

I had planned to purchase an EXOS2-GT PMC-8 as an upgrade to my EXOS2-GT but, t this point, I'm just going to cut my losses and instead upgrade to a new Synscan mount and put this stuff behind me.

Patrick
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Wes Mcdonald

Patrick

This is a new bump in the road which is temporary I expect.  But I will also say the iPad version is great too.  So far no such issues.

Appreciate the feedback in this.  Something is amiss.

Wes

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:27 PM Patrick Maher via groups.io <pwmaher=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Here is something that could help Brian and anyone else having an issue let me know if this fixes the issue.

Here is the process that I have used to make sure that everything is mounted correctly: (I am not sure exactly which step actually fixes the problem.)

  1. Force stop ExploreStars
  2. Clear the cache and storage
  3. Uninstall ExploreStars
  4. Unmount and physically remove the SD card
  5. Reinstall the SD card
  6. Check that the files are accessible (Open one of the ExploreStars images in a File Explorer App)
  7. Install ExploreStars
  8. Enable the Location and Storage permissions
  9. Start ExploreStars (You may need to do this twice, sometimes it does not acknowledge the permissions the first time.)
  10. Check the Data location in ExploreStars. It can be found on the “Settings Page”. It should be something like “Data: /storage/F8B6-6D59/ExploreStars/” This should correspond to the SD card found by your file explorer app
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Brian, if you could also provide me a email with this information id greatly appreciate it.

I would like a screenshot of the settings page, the app permissions page, and a screenshot of the SD card opened in a program that displays its location. A program like X-plore.

--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

brian skinner

-Hi Tyler, thankyou. Ill send you a copy of my mail to Dan sent this morning. It contains the photos he requested. I'll send to your customer services address.
Thankyou, Brian-
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Hey Brian, can you send to me please that way I make sure I get this handled really quick.