#ExploreStars #Android #ExploreStars #Android

sean.stimson@...

For some reason the updated version of ExploreStars, works fine, until I try and select an object from the catalog.  Any object I select my device tells me there was a problem and the app crashes.
I have uninstalled the ES app and DB completely from the tablet (Its a standard Android tab 12 months old now) it was working swimmingly until it autoupdated the app :(

Anybody have any ideas? Or do I need to reset the whole tablet and reinstall and hope for the best?

Thanks,
Sean,

brian skinner

Hi Sean, welcome aboard and I can assure you that I too am having exactly the issue as you. I have 3 tablets, 1 of which (my 1 year old Tab A ) doesnt open the latest database from the latest app at all. Mysteriously  my two older Tabs open the data base but with the exception of the Solar objects (which are functioning) any other object I select causes the app to crash...... Tyler (of the ES customer help centre and another very helpful chap) have been very kindly scratching their heads on this for at a week now).
I'm sure there will be an answer to this conundrum but at the moment not so.
Kind regards, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

Pete@torrington

Having the same issue on Samsung TAB A (2016) model SM T585
which runs Android 8.1.0 (Oreo).
Last and latest system update 20-11-30.

I was happily using the app 6 or 7 weeks ago (early Feb.).
Got the scope out 21-3-15 and a "...has stopped" message popped up when I selected M42.
Further investigation showed only Solar System objects can be selected successfully.
Painstaking deinstallation and reinstallation of app ad DB makes no difference.

I await news that this issue has been addressed and solved.
Peter

brian skinner

HI Pete, this is a real problem. My current android 10 tablet (running android 10) TabA, doesn't open the database at all. My 2 older Tablets, same as you in that both open the database but only the solar objects are operational...... The other objects, on selection, cause the app to crash.
All this started  like you probably when I updated the app and database. Up to then was having no problems at all.
Hopefully we'll get a resolution soon,
Kind regards, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

Damian

Unfortunately I have to add a me-too.

I just took delivery of my shiny new iEXOS-100 and tested it during the day to get the hang of it. Only the Sun was available that worked fine, doing a rough polar alignment then slewing to it.
Went out at 11pm last night and after aligning, selecting anything from the catalog (I didn't try solar as neither the Sun nor Moon were present), caused the app to crash. "Unfortunately ExploreStars has stopped". Again and again. Reboot tab. Same. I lost a good night's conditions and gave up at 1am.

So far ES doesn't work with the new tablet I bought for it (Lenovo M8 - android 10 - will not find database), the old tablet (Lenovo A5500F - android 4.4.2 - crashes when selecting catalog items). I have access to an ipad - does that work any better ? Is the PC version (windows 10 only) any less flaky than the android one ? I have a windows 7 laptop to use APT with for focussing, but ES won't work with Windows 7 so that's out.

So it's back to the Star Adventurer Pro if I want to image anything right now.
--
Mounts: iEXOS100 (sigh). Star Adventurer Pro
Scopes: William Optics Zenithstar 61 with 61A Field Flattener

Wes Mcdonald

Damian

The Explorestars version posted on the play store is broken in Android 10. Known problem being worked.  iPad version works fine, so use that if you have an iPad.  There is a link and side load instructions for a version of Explorestars that runs in Android 10 on the explorescientific web page.  Go to the mounts menu/pmc8 software downloads and select the Android previous version link. Whoops I just noticed the link does not work.

The windows version of Explorestars also works ok, but the iPad and Android (in Android 9 or older) is superior.

Explorestars is probably not what you want for astrophotography anyhow, you should be using ascom.

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 08:38 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Go to the mounts menu/pmc8 software downloads and select the Android previous version link. Whoops I just noticed the link does not work.

Hi Wes,

The link works to download the zipped up APK file of the previous version. I just downloaded it. Here is the link you need to click on the website.
Here is the direct link to the zip file

https://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/OLD_ExploreStars_20200220.zip

EDIT:  I have updated the link on the website to be https versus http as that was causing an issue on certain browsers. Thanks Wes!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Damian

Thank you both Wes & Jerry. I now have that earlier app loaded on android 10 and it seems to stay up.

We don't get many non-cloudy nights in the UK so yesterday I built an older windows 10 laptop and used the ES for windows app in order to catch the current good spell of weather. It seemed to work but I had more windows issues than app ones. Windows screensaver kicking in seemed to stop connectivity to the mount, as did any other app being the focus one (like APT). Laptop screen wouldn't dim at all so I was a mosquito magnet for the entire field. Called it a night after 2.5 hours.

So I will try the android version again - maybe tuesday night if the weather holds.

I'll look into the ascom option. My stuff is all portable (no space at home to set up and align due to local buildings) so I drag it to a local field to use it, which means no desk/chair/mains power etc. Learning & innovation needed I think.
--
Mounts: iEXOS100 (shortly). Star Adventurer Pro