Topics

ExploreStars Fire HD 8 Crashes

Harry

Hi Jerry, 
ExploreStars on my Fire HD8 tablet will not open. When selected, the screen goes gray for a few seconds and then reverts back to where you were. It is version 1.9.2. Fire is running OS 6.3.1.2. (updated Oct. 2.) Last week it worked normally. I have not updated the SD catalog yet, as my Windows laptop is not available, but last week and previously  it would still open normally. My Ipad version runs fine.
Thanks, Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES  ED80CF, ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8, Explore FirstLight EXOS Nano
Oberwerk 5000 Tripod, Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 09:32 AM, Harry wrote:
Fire is running OS 6.3.1.2. (updated Oct. 2.)
Hi Harry,

The failure must be related to the OS update you received if it worked before that. I will forward this on to our developers.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 09:32 AM, Harry wrote:
ExploreStars on my Fire HD8 tablet will not open. When selected, the screen goes gray for a few seconds and then reverts back to where you were.
Hi Harry,

Our lead Android developer responded (shown below) and did not find any issue with ExploreStars freshly loaded on his test Fire HD tablet. We are at a loss to explain it unless we can reproduce the problem you are having. I would suggest uninstalling the application and database completely and re-installing it from scratch.  Here is Dan's response:

"I have an Amazon Fire HD8 running OS 6.3.1.2 (with all system components just updated).

I downloaded a copy of ExploreStars 1.9.2 from the Amazon App store, installed the database and images on the external storage CD card and made sure that all permissions were granted.

(This tablet had all previous versions of the App and database removed.)

It works just fine on my unit. I don’t see how this is any different from his setup, so I am unable to duplicate his problem."

Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Harry

Hi Jerry, and Dan

I did as you suggested, and uninstalled the ExploreStars app, then re-installed it. It now works fine. I did not touch the database, as I don’t have my Windows computer with me, and therefore could not re-download it, however that doesn’t seem to matter.

Thank you so much for your time and experience!

Harry

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES  ED80CF, ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8, Explore FirstLight EXOS Nano
Oberwerk 5000 Tripod, Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40