Explorestars on FireHD, crashes when selecting no solar system objects. #Android

Euan Milne

Edited

Folks,

Looking for some help. I have Explorestars install on my FireHD .  The app opens and I can slew the mount (iexos-100) to any solar system object. However anything other than a solar system object causes the app to close and the mout wont slew. 

Explorestars version is 1.9.20069.500
DB Ver: 2.3 [85643]
FW Ver: 1.0
FireOS 5.6.8.0 (659656820)
Fire DH 10 (7th Gen)

Any ideas?

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1
Cameras:  Canon 1200D, Tamron 150-600mm, 50mm prime. 
Msc: 12V Powerbank
Software: ExploreStars, SharpCap, All Skey Plate Solver

brian skinner

Hi Euan, I think this is another case of a problem with the latest Explore Stars App, or at least an incompatibility between the app and your operating system.
I and several others had the same problem a few weeks back. I suggest you contact the Explore Scientific Customer Service guys. In my case I was running Android 10 and had to reload the previous version of the app which the ES guys gave instructions for.
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 09:30 AM, brian skinner wrote:
In my case I was running Android 10 and had to reload the previous version of the app which the ES guys gave instructions for.
Here is the link to the previous version .APK file that you can sideload on the Android. You should be able to download this file and choose to install the APK on your Android device

http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/OLD_ExploreStars_20200220.zip

This is located on our PMC-Eight Software and Downloads page

ExploreStars Software & Database Downloads – PMC-Eight System Download — Explore Scientific LLC (explorescientificusa.com)

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Euan Milne

Folks,

Problem is now solved. As per the above guidence, I uninstalled the existing ExploreStars app (version 1.9.20069.500), downloaded the older apk from the webiste provided by Jerry (http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/OLD_ExploreStars_20200220.zip).

Once installed I then had to reinstall the database and restart the tablet, so far it works.

One thing though the apk file name is ExploreStars 1.9.6 APK (20Mb) to this suggest it is version 1.9.6, however o nthe about screen it is showing as version 1.9.20051. either way it appears to be working. full version info is 
ES Version: 1.9.20051.494
DB Ver 2.3 [856643]
FW Ver:1

Is there any plans to fix the issue with the most recent version of the app? I thought the hardest thing about this hobby would be finding the object to hpotograph, so far it seems to be gettignthe tech to work. lol

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1
Cameras:  Canon 1200D, Tamron 150-600mm, 50mm prime. 
Msc: 12V Powerbank
Software: ExploreStars, SharpCap, All Skey Plate Solver

Wes Mcdonald

Euan:

The Android changes are proving difficult for the developers to work with.  It is in work.

For now we just have to hang onto the older version if we are running Android 10 or newer.  I believe Android 9 does work with the .500 version in the play store.  The older version is functional and all, the newer version does have some improvements in the ephemeris calculations for the minor planets.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Wes,

There are no issues on my end with Android 9.  Android 11 does not connect to the database.  Google made more changes with Android 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjyYCUW-9tY&list=PLH50bM7JLoL3ysK1KlALwsDtr6HGZbjWT&index=1

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Wes Mcdonald
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 9:49 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Explorestars on FireHD, crashes when selecting no solar system objects. #Android

Euan:

The Android changes are proving difficult for the developers to work with.  It is in work.

For now we just have to hang onto the older version if we are running Android 10 or newer.  I believe Android 9 does work with the .500 version in the play store.  The older version is functional and all, the newer version does have some improvements in the ephemeris calculations for the minor planets.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired