Explorestars on FireHD, crashes when selecting no solar system objects. #Android

Euan Milne

Edited

Folks,

Looking for some help. I have Explorestars install on my FireHD .  The app opens and I can slew the mount (iexos-100) to any solar system object. However anything other than a solar system object causes the app to close and the mout wont slew.

Explorestars version is 1.9.20069.500
DB Ver: 2.3 [85643]
FW Ver: 1.0
FireOS 5.6.8.0 (659656820)
Fire DH 10 (7th Gen)

Any ideas?

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1

brian skinner

Hi Euan, I think this is another case of a problem with the latest Explore Stars App, or at least an incompatibility between the app and your operating system.
I and several others had the same problem a few weeks back. I suggest you contact the Explore Scientific Customer Service guys. In my case I was running Android 10 and had to reload the previous version of the app which the ES guys gave instructions for.
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 09:30 AM, brian skinner wrote:
In my case I was running Android 10 and had to reload the previous version of the app which the ES guys gave instructions for.
Here is the link to the previous version .APK file that you can sideload on the Android. You should be able to download this file and choose to install the APK on your Android device

http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/OLD_ExploreStars_20200220.zip

This is located on our PMC-Eight Software and Downloads page

ExploreStars Software & Database Downloads – PMC-Eight System Download — Explore Scientific LLC (explorescientificusa.com)

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Euan Milne

Folks,

Problem is now solved. As per the above guidence, I uninstalled the existing ExploreStars app (version 1.9.20069.500), downloaded the older apk from the webiste provided by Jerry (http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/OLD_ExploreStars_20200220.zip).

Once installed I then had to reinstall the database and restart the tablet, so far it works.

One thing though the apk file name is ExploreStars 1.9.6 APK (20Mb) to this suggest it is version 1.9.6, however o nthe about screen it is showing as version 1.9.20051. either way it appears to be working. full version info is
ES Version: 1.9.20051.494
DB Ver 2.3 [856643]
FW Ver:1

Is there any plans to fix the issue with the most recent version of the app? I thought the hardest thing about this hobby would be finding the object to hpotograph, so far it seems to be gettignthe tech to work. lol

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1
Cameras:  Canon 1200D, Tamron 150-600mm, 50mm prime.
Msc: 12V Powerbank
Software: ExploreStars, SharpCap, All Skey Plate Solver

Wes Mcdonald

Euan:

The Android changes are proving difficult for the developers to work with.  It is in work.

For now we just have to hang onto the older version if we are running Android 10 or newer.  I believe Android 9 does work with the .500 version in the play store.  The older version is functional and all, the newer version does have some improvements in the ephemeris calculations for the minor planets.

Wes.

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Wes,

There are no issues on my end with Android 9.  Android 11 does not connect to the database.  Google made more changes with Android 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjyYCUW-9tY&list=PLH50bM7JLoL3ysK1KlALwsDtr6HGZbjWT&index=1

JR