Topics

External Power #starparty #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 01:10 PM, Skull HQX wrote:
It's good to know it has reverse polarity protection. But I'm not going to test it!
Here is how the protection is implemented

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Skull HQX

Jerry, it's a pleasure to see such an efficient implementation by using a PFET. My faith in humanity has, at least partly, been restored! ;)

Makes you wonder why some manufacturers leave it out, probably to save a couple of cents.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 04:31 PM, Skull HQX wrote:
Jerry, it's a pleasure to see such an efficient implementation by using a PFET. My faith in humanity has, at least partly, been restored! ;)

 Yes Skull,  I like to think that I know what I am doing most of the time, although the original designs did not include the reverse polarity protection, that was added just prior to the first delivered systems in December 2016. It is a little added cost, but on this level of instrument is absolutely needed for those doing DIY power systems.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jerry,

Don't know if you remember, but when I was in pre-purchase mode (long ago) and peppering you with questions on CN, I finally realized what you were doing with the Propeller chip...

I then accused you of "adequate overkill".  Still stands.  Well done.  :-)

- Bob
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide