locked File /PMC-Eight 20A01 Firmware Installation Kit 2021-05-11.zip updated #ExploreScientific #file-notice #UniversalFirmware

MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The following files have been updated in the Files area of the MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io group.

By: Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...>

Description:
PMC-Eight Universal Firmware 20A01 RELEASE 2021-05-11 Software Files 2021-04-14 Updated UFCT and Instruction Document 2021-04-24 Clarified Instructions and Added Startup Message Box 2021-05-11 Fixed minor bug in firmware - RA motor stop

Wes Mcdonald

Hi Folks:

Jerry has posted an update to the PMC8 firmware.  This update is necessitated by a latent bug some users experienced after updating to the 20A01 release a few weeks back.  This bug affects all versions of the PMC8 -- iEXOS100, EXOS2, and G11.  We recommend all users who have loaded 20A01 install the most recent update.  The update fixes reported problems with using LRDU arrows in NINA, CdC, and POTH.  Other ramifications existed also that would have affected the performance of the PMC8 during slew.  Interestingly, while pervasive, the bug was not widely reported.  Thanks go out to the users who not only reported this problem, but kept at it until we figured it out.  

For those of you who have already updated your firmware to the 20A01 level, you may load the new updated version via the CM v1.03 firmware tab.  After you select the tab and press download, all the various versions for the PMC8 firmware will be visible.  The newest update is 20A01.01.  By selecting this file the CM v1.03 will load the code onto your PMC8.  The date code on this firmware, as reported in the boot splash screen, is 2021.05.11.  The ASCOM driver has not changed.

For those who have not yet loaded any version of the 20A01, the complete code set can be found in the installation kit referenced by the previous notification.  Please remember that when you download the kit you must install both the new firmware and the included new ASCOM driver.  Instructions for upgrading can be found in the PDF file included as part of the kit.  As a reminder, please make sure you clear out the ASCOM preferences as indicated in the instructions.  The kit is in the fies section of the Main group section. 

Regards,
Wes. 

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Hildo

I have updated to this version. Now my mount is not slewing anywhere near where it is supposed to. Can you provide me the default configuration for exos2 in case I have messed that up? 

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2021-05-11 6:15 p.m. (GMT-07:00)
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] File /PMC-Eight 20A01 Firmware Installation Kit 2021-05-11.zip updated #file-notice

Hi Folks:

Jerry has posted an update to the PMC8 firmware.  This update is necessitated by a latent bug some users experienced after updating to the 20A01 release a few weeks back.  This bug affects all versions of the PMC8 -- iEXOS100, EXOS2, and G11.  We recommend all users who have loaded 20A01 install the most recent update.  The update fixes reported problems with using LRDU arrows in NINA, CdC, and POTH.  Other ramifications existed also that would have affected the performance of the PMC8 during slew.  Interestingly, while pervasive, the bug was not widely reported.  Thanks go out to the users who not only reported this problem, but kept at it until we figured it out.  

For those of you who have already updated your firmware to the 20A01 level, you may load the new updated version via the CM v1.03 firmware tab.  After you select the tab and press download, all the various versions for the PMC8 firmware will be visible.  The newest update is 20A01.01.  By selecting this file the CM v1.03 will load the code onto your PMC8.  The date code on this firmware, as reported in the boot splash screen, is 2021.05.11.  The ASCOM driver has not changed.

For those who have not yet loaded any version of the 20A01, the complete code set can be found in the installation kit referenced by the previous notification.  Please remember that when you download the kit you must install both the new firmware and the included new ASCOM driver.  Instructions for upgrading can be found in the PDF file included as part of the kit.  As a reminder, please make sure you clear out the ASCOM preferences as indicated in the instructions.  The kit is in the fies section of the Main group section. 

Regards,
Wes. 

--
Wes, Southport NC
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL

Hildo

Site data in the Ascom driver reset. Fixed the site data and everything is golden. Sorry for jumping the gun. Seems to be running better now. 

Date: 2021-05-11 11:25 p.m. (GMT-07:00)
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] File /PMC-Eight 20A01 Firmware Installation Kit 2021-05-11.zip updated #file-notice

I have updated to this version. Now my mount is not slewing anywhere near where it is supposed to. Can you provide me the default configuration for exos2 in case I have messed that up? 

Date: 2021-05-11 6:15 p.m. (GMT-07:00)
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io

Hi Folks:

Regards,
Wes. 

--
Wes, Southport NC

Luiz Sanches

Wes, you send to me a correction of a bug that I reported in other post. I did not uploaded yet. This Firmware correct the bug too? 
Last night I used a ST4 cable for tests (how mentioned in other post, for probably solution) and the situation don't fixed the bug, and worsted the guiding (using PHD2). I have the logs using st4 cable, if you think it's necessary.

Jennifer Shelly

Luiz:

Do not use the ST-4 cable with your guide camera.  The signal from the ST-4 cable from the guide camera will cancel out any other slew commands the motors are receiving.  Please refer to Jerry’s post in the other thread explaining this better than I can.  https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/9867

I personally tested the file Wes sent to you and I yesterday and it fixed all of the issues we we having, so I am confident that the new file uploaded today by Jerry will do the same.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro
Processing Software: PixInsight, Lightroom, Premiere Elements

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz:

1.  Jennifer is correct.  Do not use PhD and the ST4.  I didnt even think PhD would do pulse guiding and ST4 guiding.  IF you use PhD to do ST4 via the camera, you have to calibrate it at every star position you are trying to guide.  If you use pulse guiding, PhD knows the RA/DEC and corrects the guide commands accordingly, so only one calibration is needed.

2.  The file Jennifer tested and the one Jerry uploaded are the same.  Yes, the bug is apparently removed by this new load.

3.  It is not surprising the old code did not work when using the ST4 port.  The bug affects ALL functions of the RA motor.

4.  Please load the new firmware.  It is fixed.  You will be happy.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

Luiz Sanches

Thank Jennifer and Wes. 
Please refer to Jerry’s post in the other thread explaining this better than I can.
Now I understand... He was questioned me if I was using the st4 cable at same time... No, I didn't, only yesterday for test. But it's ok. 
I"ll upload the new driver and see if it works. 

Jennifer Shelly

Way to go Jerry and Wes!
I installed the latest installation kit and my PMC-8 works like a champ like the test file from yesterday.
I suggest adding the CM 1.0.3 tool in the installation package to avoid users from using the wrong one.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD

Wes Mcdonald

Jennifer

Thank goodness!

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 5:48 PM Jennifer Shelly via groups.io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Way to go Jerry and Wes!
I installed the latest installation kit and my PMC-8 works like a champ like the test file from yesterday.
I suggest adding the CM 1.0.3 tool in the installation package to avoid users from using the wrong one.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts

--
Wes, Southport NC

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Edited

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 05:48 PM, Jennifer Shelly wrote:
I suggest adding the CM 1.0.3 tool in the installation package to avoid users from using the wrong one
Thanks Jennifer for your feedback while troubleshooting this problem, and I will update the installation kit as you suggest adding the Configuration Manager 1.03.  Chris is aware of the problem with the 1.04 Beta version of the CM and will provide a fix at some point I am sure.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!