Topics

Firmware Updates and reconfiguring Router to connect to my Main Router

marcwest64@...

Hi Guys,

Today I am the proud owner of a PMC8 with Exos2goto.

I would like to find out has anyone been able to configure the PMC8 to connect to a router versus a client in adhoc mode.

Is there a way to connect to the PMC and configure the network connections?

Also I see in the documentation that there is a way to connect via serial to the PMC8 is this the only way to configure it and if so what type of serial USB cable will I need?

Lastly, been trying to connect Stellarium to the Ascomm wifi driver and cant get stellarium to recognise, have configured the ascomm wifi driver and seem to provide connection information direct.

Lastly anyway know how to run Explorestars on a Windows 7 machine my old laptop isn't version 8.1 or 10.

Any thoughts.

Many thanks.

Regards Marc

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Marc,  welcome to the group, I appreciate your purchase. I will try and answer your questions.

There is a way to connect to configure the Microchip RN-131 module used in the PMC-Eight. See the application notes available on the Explore Scientific website: www.explorescientific/pmc-eight/ This should guide you in reconfiguring the module. You must use at your own risk though. I have not developed a procedure to do this for users yet.

Right now to configure the PMC-Eight to use the serial port you must use the procedure in the application note, this may be automated in the future through the application and ASCOM driver configuration dialog box. You need to purchase a USB to DB9 serial adapter which uses the FTDI FT232R USB converter chip. This has been proven to be the most reliable chipset for the USB adapter.

Stellarium uses the Stellarium Scope application to connect to the ASCOM driver which is not been found to be reliable. I suggest you use the ASCOM POTH Hub to connect to the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver first and then try and connect Stellarium to the POTH Hub. An alternative program to Stellarium which has been used successfully and is free also is Cartes du Ciel.

Finally, the ExploreStars application will only install via the Windows Store using Windows 8 or 10. Windows 7 will not install and run the ExploreStars application. You can install the ASCOM driver on windows 7.

I hope this clears things up Marc.  Thanks again for your purchase.

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <marcwest64@...> wrote :

Hi Guys,

Today I am the proud owner of a PMC8 with Exos2goto.

I would like to find out has anyone been able to configure the PMC8 to connect to a router versus a client in adhoc mode.

Is there a way to connect to the PMC and configure the network connections?

Also I see in the documentation that there is a way to connect via serial to the PMC8 is this the only way to configure it and if so what type of serial USB cable will I need?

Lastly, been trying to connect Stellarium to the Ascomm wifi driver and cant get stellarium to recognise, have configured the ascomm wifi driver and seem to provide connection information direct.

Lastly anyway know how to run Explorestars on a Windows 7 machine my old laptop isn't version 8.1 or 10.

Any thoughts.

Many thanks.

Regards Marc

Ben K

Marc,

I'm fairly new to astronomy and such, with the exos2 with PMC8 as my first non-ancient mount.

I have the following process working reliably now:
1) PMC 8 to computer via USB-serial cable (go with an ftdi chipset, as Jerry mentioned)
2) POTH hub to PMC8 Ascom driver
3) anything I want, to POTH hub (in my case, I primarily use Stellarium Scope to POTH hub, and guide via Stellarium)
4) Astrotortilla or other adjustment software to POTH as needed

Just as Jerry said, you have to follow the instructions in the application note, to turn on serial connection, but I thought this was the wiser route, as I want my computer to be able to connect to the web while I'm hiding like guiding, etc.

If you get the WiFi to connect to an existing network, let us know!

If you've any questions, I'm happy to try to help, novice as I am. I did get things up and running just fine for the eclipse, and it tracked flawlessly through the eclipse.

B

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Ben,

It's great to hear about your success in using the EXOS 2 PMC-Eight system! I really appreciate the feedback when customers are successfully using the system and are able to follow the instructions provided. I am very happy that you had a good experience observing the eclipse with the system.

Jerry

marcwest64@...

Hi Ben

Can you share the process of connecting Stellarium via stellarium scope to the Poth Hub.

I got it so that Stellerium scope defines three telescopes in Stellerium, in the telescope plugin.

Scope sync and a third assuming this is correct.

Just not sure how to get the ASCOM ES  Wifi serial connection to talk to Poth.

what the specific config is in Poth and stellarium I need to using.

Thanks Marc

marcwest64@...

Hi Jerry,

Thanks Appreciate.

Ok for now just trying to figure out how to configure either of the following:

1. Stellerium => Stellerium Scope => Poth or Ascom Wifi Driver => PMC8
2. Cartes => Poth => PMC8

as you will see from the photos I uploaded I was able to get connections, and if I slew using the mount control in Poth the mount slews.

However when I attempt this through my config in stellerium I just seem to get the mount to track/click I assume tracking something.

When I attempt to slew it comes back with an error.

As for getting Cartes I cant seem to work out how to connect to Poth or the Ascom Wifi driver so it slews to a location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Marc

Ben K

Marc,

So, first question, when you load POTH, it should give you a way to select a telescope. Is one of the options the PMC 8? The driver is the same, whether WiFi or serial (you need to specify in the PMC 8 driver settings, the serial com port, I believe, if using serial).

If so, that means you've got POTH hooked up to the PMC 8, and poth should now provide you an interface to let you move the scope. If this isn't working, don't bother involving stellarium or stellarium scope yet, let's get this resolved first.

If POTH is correctly linked to the pmc8, and you can move it and such, then open stellarium scope. It should have settings to let you choose and connect to a scope, and you want to connect to POTH. Once you've connected in stellarium scope, only then should you, via Stellarium Scope, launch stellarium.

If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.

I'm away from a computer right now, but if you upload screenshots, I'll look tomorrow.

B