Topics

G11 PMC-Eight drops WiFi

Brent Phillips

I hope I can get help here. I am having issues with my new PMC-Eight.  I received it last week and have taken it out many nights trying to figure it out.  I seem to have the same problems no matter what I do.

1.  after the tree star alignment the mount losses accuracy fast.  doing a tour of Orion for example after Rigel the next star will be off, the next one after that is off even more until it is so far off that the object it is slewing to is not even in the finder.  all this in under 5 minutes.

2.  the PMC-Eight will drop its Wi-Fi signal.  sometimes it drops after a few minutes other times it drops after 10 minutes.  I have never had more then 15 minutes of use before the Wi-Fi drops.

3.  The mount will stop slewing to early or the mount will not stop slewing. when this happens I hit reset connection and it stops but then I have to unplug the mount and then plug it back in before it will move again.

I have tried pushing the reset on the back to change the Wi-Fi  but that did not help.  Any help would be nice thank you.

David Pickett

Brent,

I fear there is not enough information here to pin point your problems -- but it sounds like there may be two separate issues. Some answers to the questions below -- which are not meant to be insulting! -- would help.

I hope I can get help here. I am having issues with my new PMC-Eight. I received it last week and have taken it out many nights trying to figure it out. I seem to have the same problems no matter what I do.
This consistency is a positive sign.

Where did you purchase the system?

Are you running on AC or battery?

Check the diameter of the hole in the power plug that attaches to the PMC box: it should be 2.1 mm. The only way I know to do this is to try poking different size drills into the hole.

1. after the tree star alignment the mount losses accuracy fast. doing a tour of Orion for example after Rigel the next star will be off, the next one after that is off even more until it is so far off that the object it is slewing to is not even in the finder. all this in under 5 minutes.
What polar alignment did you do before this?

2. the PMC-Eight will drop its Wi-Fi signal. sometimes it drops after a few minutes other times it drops after 10 minutes. I have never had more then 15 minutes of use before the Wi-Fi drops.
When this happens, what do the LEDs do?

Can you make it happen by jiggling the PMC cables?

Remove the black antenna from the box. Is the gold connector on the box solidly fixed, or does it rotate?

3. The mount will stop slewing to early or the mount will not stop slewing. when this happens I hit reset connection and it stops but then I have to unplug the mount and then plug it back in before it will move again.
Which plug is involved in this?

I suggest that you solve this problem in the comfort of your home. Put the mount into home position, having decided where Polaris is on the wall. Then operate the mount and try to see if there is anything consistent that happens before the WIFI lose contact.

Do not despair!

David

r_hoskin@...

Brent,

To David's question about Polar Alignment...

I think it might be good to break problem #1 up a bit.  You're seeing the alignment go off during a tour, but as I read your description, I'm wondering about a straight tracking issue underlying that.

A test of basic tracking ability might help bracket the problem, but I don't use Explorestars with mine, so David or someone else would be better positioned to devise a test that will best flush out an issue.  One idea:  Does the third star in your alignment routine stay centered in the eyepiece for long?

- Bob

Brent Phillips

thank you for the response, I am using AC power and I purchased the mount from ES directly.

I am doing a rough polar alignment so that Polaris is visible through the hole that the polar scope goes into.

When Wi-Fi is dropped nothing in particular happens.  it just stops, the only LED lights on the back that are on when this happens is the top middle red light, the bottom right red light amd the bottom right green light.

when the mount stops mid slew the motors go quiet and it just stops the lights on the back are still on but it just will not move.

the tracking seems to be to fast.  even when I sync the mount to an object, the object quickly leaves the field of view.