Topics

G-11 worm issues

ji.theriot@...

To make a long story short even with a perfect (literally a 0.0" on my guide log) PA I couldn't get my RMS under .9" on my new G11.  Peak to peak PE was >30".  Most nights RMS was about 1.1", still better than my old EXOS-2 but no where near what I was seeing from other G11 owners.

After reading Jeremy's detailed discussion about his mount and the large PE he was experiencing, I decided to look at mine.  What I found was a coupler that was binding and unloading as it rotated.  This was, as I discovered, due to the motor shaft and worm being offset from each other. 

After lengthy discussion with Jerry and Alex from ES, they will be milling me a new motor mount that is slotted to adjust it, which should fix things, but if you are having similar issues, I advise you look at the motor/worm alignment..

W. Christopher Moses

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Was it on your DEC or RA?
Did Jerry or Alex say what degree of misalignment is acceptable?  I'm not even sure how to measure that.

ji.theriot@...

I don’t think anyone really knows a measurement for the acceptable degree of offset. This was on my RA axis. The worm on my dec axis is also very slightly misaligned but there is no binding. When I first removed my worm cover it was very obvious that the worm was binding on the RA side. If you were to try to turn the worm by hand it would spring back to its original spot. If you kept spinning it slowly that built up torque would unload and rapidly spin the worm. It’s hard to explain but it’s very obvious if you’re having this issue and try to turn the worm by hand.

W. Christopher Moses

I've turned mine by hand. I understand what you mean.

ji.theriot@...

This is what it looked like when I first pulled the cover.  Like I said, it was obviously binding.

Ji

ji.theriot@...

Is yours doing the same thing?  If so, give Alex a call.  He is familiar with the issue at this point.

W. Christopher Moses

Wow, that is off.

W. Christopher Moses

I was getting some odd behavior, but I'm pretty sure it was due to a flakey PoleMaster.  However, I will double check just to be sure.