Topics

Ghetto azimuth adjuster #iEXOS-100

Jacqui Greenland

Hi All,

Thought people may be interested in this.  My wife purchased an iexos-100 as an upgrade to her little star adventurer mini (and largely out of complete laziness since she just wanted the goto to not have to go out into the cold to reposition for her next photo!) but we had no time to be able to order the official azimuth adjuster and since we have a polemaster to get PA I wanted it to be finer controlled than swiveling the whole mount around on the base by hand.

So I noticed there was an M8 grub screw in the tripod on the base and I figured if I lined up the part that stick out to support the Alt adjustment with that and attach a frame around it I could then use a couple of machine screws to pivot against that.  hour or so later this is what I came up with

basically it's two pieces of corner brace trimmed to length and welded together and then welded to a piece of slotted angle iron with an M8 machine screw replacing the grub screw.  a couple of nuts welded to the frame with M6 machine screws to act as adjusters and 3d printed knobs.

Now I have a welder and 3D printer to work with but it would have been possible to do this using nuts or rivets to hold it together and captive nuts for the adjusters and just use the machine screws directly or you can buy m6 thumbscrews from places like amazon.

The slot at the bottom, btw, allows macro adjustment just in case there isn't enough micro adjustment available.

It worked surprisingly well and allowed us to get pretty tight PA so I thought it might be useful to anyone else in a similar position.  looks a bit rickity and my welding could have been neater but overall it worked for a materials cost of less that 10 GBP.

Jacqui

Bob Trepiccione

Cool idea!
Any pics of it before you installed it on the mount?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

[...]

well it's pretty easy to dismount so I took it off and took one

for size reference it's about 42mm high and 67mm long and I used two 16mm wide x 2mm thick corner braces to construct it.  the thumbscrews are M6 x 40mm and the mounting slot is a small piece of 2mm thick slotted angle steel.

Jacqui

Bob Trepiccione

Brilliant, thanks for taking the time to take the pic!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

well it's pretty easy to dismount so I took it off and took one

for size reference it's about 42mm high and 67mm long and I used two 16mm wide x 2mm thick corner braces to construct it.  the thumbscrews are M6 x 40mm and the mounting slot is a small piece of 2mm thick slotted angle steel.

Jacqui

Lutz Paelke

Welcome to the Hood ;-)
I did somthing similar, exept I 3D-printed it: Azimuth adjuster for iEXOS 100 on Thingiverse

Cheers,

Lutz

Jacqui Greenland

cool - what material did you use ?  My little printer won't really do ABS reliably and I was concerned that PLA wouldn't have the material strength to handle the force required which is why I used a steel square (although I have a tendency to over-engineer for things like strength).

Jacqui

Lutz Paelke

I printed it with PETG on an Anet A8.

Lutz

Parag Modi

Lutz,

I'm thinking of getting iEXOS100.  I am newbie to AP.  Can you please provide a bit more details on how to attach your design?

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

What type of telescope do you plan on getting.

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC, LLC

1010 South 48th Street

Springdale, AR 72762 USA

Brands: Explore Scientific | Bresser | Explore One
Official Licensee: National Geographic | Discovery

Publications:  Sky's Up Magazine

Affiliations: UNESCO Space Education Program | AstronomyOutreach network

--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Anthony Lambert

Petg really is a wonderful compimise whence you loern to tune for the gooiness.  Ive printed a few things for my EXOS2 . Glad to see yall geiing creative to get the most out of your  100's

Aaron Thompson

I have worked with a 3d printer a lot over the last few years.  Another great material for rigidity and strength are the Nylon filaments.  Once you are able to tune your printer in to their characteristics they are rigid and very strong.  It is also somewhat slippery in that it is very good for gears and does not bind like abs.

Lutz Paelke

Parag Modi:
Like Jacqui already said, there is an M8 screw in the base of the tripod. Remove this screw and my design attaches to it with an M8x25 mm cylinder head screw. My design has a recess for the head of such a screw. There are some pictures on the thiniverse page I linked to above.
To push the mount left or right, I use two M6x30 mm Nylon knurled-head screws.