Topics

Guiding

W. Christopher Moses

Hi Everyone,

I seem to be having some issues guiding.  I wanted to see who else has tried guiding and what their experiences were.

If you all could please chime in and indicate either:

Haven't tried yet

Tried - Works great

Tried - Had problems

In the last case, please describe the issue.

I'm trying to figure out if my issue is me, my equipment (like cables or camera) or something in the pmc-8

BTW - my issue is that the st4 guiding is not moving the mount properly in all 4 axis.  I think it is West that is the problem. It moves the mount the same direction as North(those directions might be wrong, but you get the concept).

If anybody is guiding, or going to start guiding, using PhD, please do a Star Cross Test. It is under Tools.  It just moves the mount in the four directions to make sure the mount is moving properly.  If you can, please post a picture of your test.  It should look like a cross.  Mine looks like a zig-zag. I'll post a pict as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone.

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Hi Chris,

               Had crippling guiding & parking issue. For some reason, whenever I park in POTH the RA goes to home position but the DEC ends up overlooking the RA axis. Its like DEC doesnt know the home position. Proof of this when I finally managed to get guiding on phd, my RA and DEC were parallel/ overlapping instead of being orthogonal. St4 guiding was touch and go as north & west steps failed to calierate time & time. On the bright side i got such a good polar alignment that my dec had an accuracy of 0.05 arc sec. I got perfect round stars unguided 5 mins using a 5 inch apo & qsi 683 wsg. DEC seems lost when it comes to parking. Any ideas as to why its doing this? If I remembet correctly parking was fine in Explore stars app.Also for some reason, the tracking rate would be so high that it leaves the field of view in a matter of seconds( unable to explain properly). What I mean is it completes one full RA rotation in minutes instead of hours.

Sunil

On Jul 23, 2017 3:22 PM, "chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight]" <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

[...]

Ben K

Have not tried guiding yet.

W W

I have not tried guiding with PHD yet.  I am just now getting the ASCOM driver working with wifi using Cartes du Ciel.  I will try that this weekend and let you guys know how it is working for me.

Clear skies!!

Tim

W. Christopher Moses

Thanks Sunil, Ben, and Tim

I have two cameras, a ZWO ASI 120 and a QHY 5IIL-M, three or four ST-4 cables, and three programs: PhD, TheSkyX and Metaguide.

I'm going to pin down this issue tonight!

I may or may not solve it, but I should know where the problem is by the end of the evening!

(Of course, there is always the caveat that I might just be doing something brainless and that I am the problem, lol)

Please keep providing any guiding experiences you have.

W. Christopher Moses

Tim,
I vaguely remember something about using CdC.  I think, maybe, you had to unpark the mount in POTH before connecting to CdC?  I can't remember exactly.  I would search the CludyNights thread. I think it was in there.

W W

Chris and Ben,

I was able to park my mount just fine using CdC.  Now again, I was doing this using the wifi settings.  I wonder if there is a command issue between the wifi and serial port modes???

Tim

W W

Chris,

You are right, I had to un-park the mount using the ASCOM window and then I was able to do slewing.  After that I was able to park the mount through CdC.

Tim

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Guys I managed to guide yesterday but still my phd2 graph was bad. As per phd2 it means severe backlash. North calibration was bad as usual.ill be heading to our club dark site on thursday and give more update.

Sunil

On Jul 25, 2017 8:50 PM, "twwstang@... [ESPMC-Eight]" <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Chris,

You are right, I had to un-park the mount using the ASCOM window and then I was able to do slewing.  After that I was able to park the mount through CdC.

Tim

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Tim,

       When you park what is the DEC bubble indicator position? Right in the middle or a bit off(maybe slightly? Mine goes a bit off, hence asking.

Sunil

W. Christopher Moses

Sunil,
    Did you try a Star Cross Test?  If not, please do.  If it passes, you should be able to guide. If it fails, you can't and you can figure out which direction is the problem.

Michael Fulbright

Don't know if you guys have seen these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INooeOQWOo8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9H8IAqyJE

but looks like Jerry was at Almost Heaven Star Party over the weekend and thus probably not able to answer emails.

It says their tent was destroyed later - yikes!

Michael Fulbright

On 7/26/2017 10:19 AM, chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Sunil,

    Did you try a Star Cross Test?  If not, please do.  If it passes, you should be able to guide. If it fails, you can't and you can figure out which direction is the problem.

W. Christopher Moses

I just posted some pictures of my calibration and star cross tests over at Sunil's CN post:

W W

Sunil,

When I was testing the other day, the mount bubble levels were level in the middle.  Again, when I was tesing I was using the ASCOM driver over wifi.  This might be the difference with my testing.  I will test here shortly today how my LodeStar X2 auto guider works with ASCOM and and ST4.  I will report my findings.

Thanks,

Tim

Michael Fulbright

If you aren't following this thread you might want to check Jerry's post today:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/585331-new-explore-scientific-losmandy-g11-issues/?p=8017809

Michael Fulbright

On 7/28/2017 5:42 PM, twwstang@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Sunil,

When I was testing the other day, the mount bubble levels were level in the middle.  Again, when I was tesing I was using the ASCOM driver over wifi.  This might be the difference with my testing.  I will test here shortly today how my LodeStar X2 auto guider works with ASCOM and and ST4.  I will report my findings.

Thanks,

Tim

W W

Thanks Michael for the information!  I have left messages for Jerry and Chris.  Hopefully someone will have time to work with me this weekend.  I have followed Jerry's instructions so I can be ready when someone is available.

Tim