Guiding issue

Edwin Bywater

I have a EXOS 2gt PMC-8 mount.  I am trying to use it with PHD2 for autoguiding.  I have the camera connected to the mount via the ST4 port.  Everything seems to hook up fine, but when it goes into the calibration, I get a message saying that it is failing to move in the east direction, i.e. after the west calibration it can't get back to being centered on the star.  I checked for binding cables and didn't find a problem.  However, what I did observe was that when the calibration program went into the east direction mode, it was actually continuing to move the mount in the west direction!  Has anyone seen this before?  Could I have some setting incorrect?  The mount moves in both RA and DEC without problem so it doesn't seem to be the mount itself.  Thanks for any insight.

Ed Bywater

BobH

I'd start by dropping the use of ST4 - it introduces an unnecessary cable/connection, an extra point of failure, and is somewhat less flexible than the modern technique. It's basically a relic from the very first auto-guiding systems.

• You'll want your guide camera linked to your computer, for use by PHD2. This you doubtless have already, and doesn't change.
  • Remove the ST4 cable from guide camera to PMC8, and set it aside. When you use that, PHD2 has to send a limited form of guide commands to the camera, to be forwarded to the mount.
  • Your PC is already connected to the PMC8 (best to use the serial/USB cable rather than wireless, it is more reliable in an AP workflow.) PHD2 can send modern guide commands to the PMC directly over this cable - and this route allows PHD2 somewhat greater control than the deprecated ST4 protocol.
You'll want to run POTH, an ASCOM component that acts as a hub. The PMC8 ASCOM driver only allow one application at a time to connect and communicate with your mount. You make that one thing POTH - run it, connect to the PMC8 driver, make sure you are configured, and unpark your mount via the POTH virtual handset.

Before guiding, you want to be reasonably well polar-aligned. If using a tool such as SharpCap, ASIAir..., "Good" or better is fine for initial use.

Next, use POTH as the telescope/mount choice for all ASCOM applications, such as PHD2, Stellarium, SharpCap, APT, NINA, whatever you use. POTH will coordinate the communications, allowing all the Apps to have simultaneous access to the mount. For PHD2, this replaces "On Camera" as the "Mount" - make this POTH instead. Now PHD2 will use what is called "Pulse Guiding" to guide your mount. Make sure PHD2 has selected Multi-Star Guiding, set your exposure somewhat faster than the older single-star advice you've probably read (I use 1/2 second, 1 second as a fallback). Imbalance your mount distinctly heavy on the east side of the pier for when the scope is oriented where you'll be imaging. For example, if targeting a object west of the meridian, the scope will be on the east side of the tripod, pointing into the west. So raise the counterweight higher than "evenly balanced", so the scope side is heavy - this will be optimal. If the scope is on the west, pointing east for your imaging, set the weight low, so the east side is again the heavy side. Being West heavy is not as effective as East heavy, but still reasonable. In-balance is the worst choice of all. Last, off-balance the DEC axis, making it somewhat heavy on the camera side. Set the PHD2 RA algorithm to either Hysteresis or Predictive PEC (I use both, but get marginally better results with Predictive.) Set DEC algorithm to "Resist Switch". In the "Guiding" tab, "Calibration", make sure "Use Dec Compensation" is checked, along with Auto restore calibration, and Focal length is matches your guide scope. In "Shared Parameters", Always Scale, Fast Recenter, Enable mount output, and Stop guiding when slewing shold be checked.

For your first calibration attempt, slew the scope to a star in the general area of the meridian, and close-ish to 0 degrees DEC. +/- 10 arc-degrees is fine. Calibration will determine which way pulses move the scope, and by how much. Best way to do this is to start the guide camera feed to PHD2 (the two circular green-arrows icon at the bottom of the PHD2 screen.) Then click the yellow-star icon to let PHD2 select its guide star. One will be centered on cross-hairs in the image display, but a generous handful of other stars should also be identified in circles - guiding will be based on all these stars, minimizing the local effects of seeing, so you don't chase as many mirages when guiding. You want to have at least 6 stars circled, more is better - you can adjust guide-camera gain a bit if there aren't enough stars. The Shift-click the Green-Button. The un-shifted, this button starts guiding. Shift forces it to run a calibration first, then begin guiding. If guiding is subsequently running well for you, you seldom need to redo calibration. I haven't re-calibrated in 2 months, at least 20 shoots over many parts of the sky. Shooting into the southern sky (-10d to +10d), I get 0.6-0.7" RMS when east-heavy, 1-1.4" RMS when west-heavy. If balanced, wild oscillations!

Hope this helps get you going. If some of this makes no sense, let me know, I can give you better explanations and/or screen shots to help get configuration in order.

--
Cheers, Bob
(A recently retired CTO, returning to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus...)

Mounts: EXOS-II/PMC-8 (new); SkyWatcher Star Tracker; Meade LXD55; Celestron EQ Fork
Optics: RedCat-51; 1980's Celestron C-11; Meade AR5; Various DSLR lenses
Cameras: ASI071MC & ASI183MC (DSO); ASI178MC (Lunar/Planetary); ASI290MM (guiding); Sony A700 DSLR (desperation)
Misc: Pegasus Pocket Power Adv (power mgmt, USB hub, dew control); ZWO EAF; ZWO 1-Filter Drawer;
PCs: Dell Latitude Laptop, Win10Pro (ASCOM, near-mount control); Pi4b, Linux/Stellarmate (INDI, on-mount control);
         Home-built Workstation, Win10Pro (remote control, processing); Galaxy S6 Tablet
Capture Software: PHD2; SharpCap4 Pro /w ASTAP; NINA; Stellarium; ASCOM 6.5.1; Stellarmate/EKOS/INDI;
Processing SW: PixInsight; Deep Sky Stacker; GIMP; F4W2HDU; Autostakkert; PIPP; RegiStax6
Wish-list: 5-inch class APO; Losmandy/PMC8 G-11; RASA-11?
Favorites: Vast glowing clouds of gas and dust

Walter Vinci

In addition to all at the above, I found also important to slew north until all the backlash is cleared (eg until you see stars moving) just before calibration!

Walter

On May 17, 2022, at 7:23 AM, BobH via groups.io <bobhehmann@...> wrote:

I'd start by dropping the use of ST4 - it introduces an unnecessary cable/connection, an extra point of failure, and is somewhat less flexible than the modern technique. It's basically a relic from the very first auto-guiding systems.

• You'll want your guide camera linked to your computer, for use by PHD2. This you doubtless have already, and doesn't change.
  • Remove the ST4 cable from guide camera to PMC8, and set it aside. When you use that, PHD2 has to send a limited form of guide commands to the camera, to be forwarded to the mount.
  • Your PC is already connected to the PMC8 (best to use the serial/USB cable rather than wireless, it is more reliable in an AP workflow.) PHD2 can send modern guide commands to the PMC directly over this cable - and this route allows PHD2 somewhat greater control than the deprecated ST4 protocol.
You'll want to run POTH, an ASCOM component that acts as a hub. The PMC8 ASCOM driver only allow one application at a time to connect and communicate with your mount. You make that one thing POTH - run it, connect to the PMC8 driver, make sure you are configured, and unpark your mount via the POTH virtual handset.

Before guiding, you want to be reasonably well polar-aligned. If using a tool such as SharpCap, ASIAir..., "Good" or better is fine for initial use.

Next, use POTH as the telescope/mount choice for all ASCOM applications, such as PHD2, Stellarium, SharpCap, APT, NINA, whatever you use. POTH will coordinate the communications, allowing all the Apps to have simultaneous access to the mount. For PHD2, this replaces "On Camera" as the "Mount" - make this POTH instead. Now PHD2 will use what is called "Pulse Guiding" to guide your mount. Make sure PHD2 has selected Multi-Star Guiding, set your exposure somewhat faster than the older single-star advice you've probably read (I use 1/2 second, 1 second as a fallback). Imbalance your mount distinctly heavy on the east side of the pier for when the scope is oriented where you'll be imaging. For example, if targeting a object west of the meridian, the scope will be on the east side of the tripod, pointing into the west. So raise the counterweight higher than "evenly balanced", so the scope side is heavy - this will be optimal. If the scope is on the west, pointing east for your imaging, set the weight low, so the east side is again the heavy side. Being West heavy is not as effective as East heavy, but still reasonable. In-balance is the worst choice of all. Last, off-balance the DEC axis, making it somewhat heavy on the camera side. Set the PHD2 RA algorithm to either Hysteresis or Predictive PEC (I use both, but get marginally better results with Predictive.) Set DEC algorithm to "Resist Switch". In the "Guiding" tab, "Calibration", make sure "Use Dec Compensation" is checked, along with Auto restore calibration, and Focal length is matches your guide scope. In "Shared Parameters", Always Scale, Fast Recenter, Enable mount output, and Stop guiding when slewing shold be checked.

For your first calibration attempt, slew the scope to a star in the general area of the meridian, and close-ish to 0 degrees DEC. +/- 10 arc-degrees is fine. Calibration will determine which way pulses move the scope, and by how much. Best way to do this is to start the guide camera feed to PHD2 (the two circular green-arrows icon at the bottom of the PHD2 screen.) Then click the yellow-star icon to let PHD2 select its guide star. One will be centered on cross-hairs in the image display, but a generous handful of other stars should also be identified in circles - guiding will be based on all these stars, minimizing the local effects of seeing, so you don't chase as many mirages when guiding. You want to have at least 6 stars circled, more is better - you can adjust guide-camera gain a bit if there aren't enough stars. The Shift-click the Green-Button. The un-shifted, this button starts guiding. Shift forces it to run a calibration first, then begin guiding. If guiding is subsequently running well for you, you seldom need to redo calibration. I haven't re-calibrated in 2 months, at least 20 shoots over many parts of the sky. Shooting into the southern sky (-10d to +10d), I get 0.6-0.7" RMS when east-heavy, 1-1.4" RMS when west-heavy. If balanced, wild oscillations!

Hope this helps get you going. If some of this makes no sense, let me know, I can give you better explanations and/or screen shots to help get configuration in order.

--
Cheers, Bob

Mounts: EXOS-II/PMC-8 (new); SkyWatcher Star Tracker; Meade LXD55; Celestron EQ Fork
Cameras: ASI071MC & ASI183MC (DSO); ASI178MC (Lunar/Planetary); ASI290MM (guiding); Sony A700 DSLR (desperation)
Misc: Pegasus Pocket Power Adv (power mgmt, USB hub, dew control); ZWO EAF; ZWO 1-Filter Drawer;
PCs: Dell Latitude Laptop, Win10Pro (ASCOM, near-mount control); Pi4b, Linux/Stellarmate (INDI, on-mount control);
Capture Software: PHD2; SharpCap4 Pro /w ASTAP; NINA; Stellarium; ASCOM 6.5.1; Stellarmate/EKOS/INDI;
Processing SW: PixInsight; Deep Sky Stacker; GIMP; F4W2HDU; Autostakkert; PIPP; RegiStax6

--
———

Walter Vinci

ES EXOS2-GT PMC-Eight
ES ED80
Starfield 0.8 Field Flattener/Reducer.
ZWO ASI290mm-mini & Orion 50mm Guide Scope
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
SharpCap, APT, PHD2, SiriL, Stellarium

BobH

Ah yes, Walter's advice is spot-on. Not following Walter's procedure can result in PHD2 incorrectly calculating the rate/amount the mount moves in DEC in response to a given pulse, which will lead to PHD2 using systematically incorrect guiding commands in response to DEC drifts. It will still guide, but very sub-optimal in DEC performance. Good catch, Walter!
--
Cheers, Bob

Edwin Bywater

I note that you say to use POTH, but the current tool available in the Ascom applications is Device Hub.  Doesn't Device hub work with this mount?  Do I need to go back to the original POTH?

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 1:01 PM BobH via groups.io <bobhehmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ah yes, Walter's advice is spot-on. Not following Walter's procedure can result in PHD2 incorrectly calculating the rate/amount the mount moves in DEC in response to a given pulse, which will lead to PHD2 using systematically incorrect guiding commands in response to DEC drifts. It will still guide, but very sub-optimal in DEC performance. Good catch, Walter!
--
Cheers, Bob

BobH

POTH is still included in all ASCOM Platforms, but is not loaded by default, as the more modern Device Hub is intended by the ASCOM development community to be its (and several other components) replacement. D-Hub does basically work, I've tried it with my EXOS2. However, several folks, including the guys who wrote the driver et al, have suggested that POTH has been the more robust hub for use with a PMC8 mount. That may change in the future. When I was helping with some testing, I found that the two hubs had slightly different sets of anomalies when driving a PMC8 mount. If you do choose to use D-Hub, be careful around the "Home" versus "Park" functionality - if you aren't familiar with the details and distinctions, you can accidentally create some (temporary) strange conditions. I was exclusively a D-hub user before I bought by EXOS2, but didn't find any difficulties in installing and using POTH.
--
Cheers, Bob

Steve Siedentop

Hi Edwin -

Device Hub works fine,  but the UI isn’t popular with some folks.  Those that don’t care for it stick with POTH, which works fine as well, for now.  POTH will eventually go away but no idea when that will happen.

-Steve

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 11:07 PM Edwin Bywater <ecbyh2o@...> wrote:
I note that you say to use POTH, but the current tool available in the Ascom applications is Device Hub.  Doesn't Device hub work with this mount?  Do I need to go back to the original POTH?

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 1:01 PM BobH via groups.io <bobhehmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
--
Cheers, Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40, Celestron C-11
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Misc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, Sequence Generator Pro, SkySafari

Edwin Bywater

I now have my mount on the serial cable and successfully have the device hub running.  I can move my mount around using the virtual hand controller in the device hub and I can get the telescope to slew to specific RA /DEC addresses that I input directly.  PHD2 is recognized on the hub but I haven't had a clear night to try it out yet.  The one thing I haven't been able to do is get a program working to control the mount from a goto standpoint.  I tried to use Stellarium and although it says it connects to the telescope, it doesn't seem to want to move the mount, at least not consistently.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a more reliable program to use for this purpose?

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 12:23 AM BobH via groups.io <bobhehmann=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

--
Cheers, Bob

BobH

Ed, check that you've transitioned the mount to "tracking" before initiating the slew from Stellarium - Stellarium won't move the mount if it is not already tracking. I used Stellarium (and PHD2) if every imaging session, I've not had any problems with control. You can try this indoors. If that doesn't work, let me know, we can step through more detailed debugging.
--
Cheers, Bob