Topics

Hard reset using button on PMC8 #EXOS2

Robert Parks

Back in early September I updated the firmware on the PMC eight, and the database and explore Stars app on my Samsung tab a. Passed the kitchen slew and park test with flying colors. Set up last night in the driveway for the first time since. When I turned my Samsung tab on in the house to let it load the location data and time frim  my local Wi-Fi, Google play Store pushed another update to the Explorer Stars app. I thought nothing of it. Went outside polar aligned got everything set up and....dead stick. Wouldn't communicate wouldn't move. Ran all the connection and power fault tree. No joy. Came back in re-updated the firmware using the configuration manager - still dead stick. Checked my Wi-Fi environment using a little program I have, Channel 6 loaded, up so I use the dongle to attempt to change the Wi-Fi channels. No effect - the PMC 8 would not seem to reboot. It seem to be stuck in some sort of loop, even though I had powered it up and down a couple of times, so leaving it powered up I just pushed the little reset button on the back. Voila! Connection and slewing and parking.

Just so I don't have to go back through and look all this up, can someone tell me the Borg Designation (latest version #'s) of the explorer stars app for Android from the Google play Store, and the PMC8 firmware for the Exos II?  Also what is the effect of pushing that reset button?
--
Robert Scott Parks - Northwest Arkansas, USA

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Polar Finder: EXOS II integrated with illuminated reticle
Telescope: Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 FCD1 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor
Finder: Telrad
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7"
Steering Software: ExploreStars App

Wes Mcdonald

Robert.  I believe the newest Explorestars version  for Android is 1.9.19255.476. DB version 2.3 [85643].

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Robert

The firmware version shown in Explorestars should be 2.12.  I think.  I might be wrong.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Robert Parks

Thanks man. That's what I'm rocking now.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 06:03 PM, Robert Parks wrote:
Just so I don't have to go back through and look all this up, can someone tell me the Borg Designation (latest version #'s) of the explorer stars app for Android from the Google play Store, and the PMC8 firmware for the Exos II?  Also what is the effect of pushing that reset button?
Hi Robert,
The current Android version is 1.9.19255.476 DB Ver. 2.3 [85643]. The latest firmware for the EXOS 2 PMC-Eight is version 9T13_EXOS2. All the reset button does is to reboot the controller while leaving the wireless connection alone. If you want to reboot the WiFi module you have to power down the PMC-Eight and power it back up. This also reboots the controller.

Generally, everyone should get into the habit of powering down and back up the PMC-Eight to reestablish communications. Trying to restart just the app sometimes doesn't work. If you want to just restart the ExploreStars application and it doesn't seem to work, then you can try using the reset communications button in the settings page on Android. It probably is easier just to start over and restart the system from scratch.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Robert Parks

Hey Jerry:  Thank you as always for responding.  Its like being able to get an answer from Gates about a Windows OS error.

Clear skies - Robert

jrh at explorescientific.com