Having Explorestars issues

Terry

Hi, I haven't been able to use my EXOS 2 for a while due to back injury and far too many cloudy nights but I had in the mean time updated the firmware to 20A01.1

Tonight I had a short opportunity to get out with the mount and planned to image some clusters so no guiding, only short(ish) exposures

Set it all up in the garden, polar aligned then tried to point to a bright star near M13, connected the tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S (SM-T800)) to the PMCEight WiFi, It seemed to connect fine so I launched Explorestars tried to test the UDLR controls after setting the speed to 8 but nothing happened?, I then tried to use the catalog to select Vega but as soon as I tapped on Vega in the catalog the application stopped, closed down the app and tried again on a different object, same result, I rebooted the tablet and tried again with the same result

I uninstalled and re installed the app, same result, I deleted and the database files and re downloaded, same result

The only odd thing is that when I look at the app permissions there is no option to enable "storage access) just location
This tablet worked fine before with the mount and the tablet has not had any operating system updates since then, all that's happened is the latest ES and database has been installed, the downloaded database was placed in the root of the SD card and I have tried with the Explorestars folder in it's parent folder (ES_Android_DB_Images/ExploreStars) and also tried with the ExploreStars folder in the root of the SD card, still nothing

So then on to try the laptop, this failed to work at all at first but then after a while it began to seemingly operate OK, so I played around with the slewing using UDLR controls which seemed fine at first then on one instance of slewing it wouldn't stop it's just continued slewing in that direction no matter what I did so I had to remove power to the pmceight, I tried again and couldn't get it to slew at all then gave up as I really don't have the time left to play around with it

Any ideas from anyone?

Thinking that I should have just left the old firmware and apps as they were, no idea if it will work with Ascom and Steallarium, I just didn't have the time to set it all up again with my laptop out in the cold 

Anyone want to buy an EXOS 2 in the UK?, too techy for me
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled

Latest firmware (20A01.1)
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS

Wes Mcdonald

Terry

Can’t say what is up.  Did you configure the firmware after upgrading by running the UFCT?    Download the zip file for the install pack from the ES web site.  Open up the pdf and read how to install and configure the firmware.  You use the new Pmc8 configuration tool, aka UFCT.

It’s possible the new Explorestars might not run on your tablet.  Suggest you roll back to the one posted on the ES web site.  There is a android apk file there.  

If push comes to shove you can, using the firmware update tab in the Configuration Manager, load the old pre-universal firmware version into the pmc8

You can do all this in your nice warm living room and test things out to see that it all works before stepping outside.  

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Terry

Thanks Wes

Just double checked the firmware configuration and all seems OK? (see screen shot of splash screen)
The same happened when trying to control via WiFi on the Laptop, it looked like the WiFi drops out as I managed to reconnect to the WiFi whilst it was still slewing and stop it, it had also recalled it's park position so I guess it wasn't a power interruption on the mount

I'm still getting the crash problem with ES on the tablet

--
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS

Terry

Edited

A question on the android app database:

I know I have to place the downloaded and extracted files into the root of the SD card but does it have to be... SD Card/ES_Android_DB_Images/Explorestars or SD Card/Explorestars ?
I have it in both places now and the old apk works fine, thanks for that tip

Thanks
Terry

--
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS

Wes Mcdonald

Terry:

I want you to connect via serial to your pmc8 and make sure the UFCT can get configuration etc.  Then press the Restor RN131 button.

One other user was having issues with his rn131 dropping out, and this seemed to fix it.    What the restore function does is to endure two important settings in the RN are correct -- use of the external antenna, and the power setting.  Either of those can cause connection issues.

I don't know where the files need to be for explorestars.  I think the newest load brings in the app and the database in one big gulp.  My Android has the database in an emulated disk drive 0 -- i don't have an sd card in it.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

Wes Mcdonald

Terry:

I just verified my sanity on version 1.1  Yes it works forn with explorestars.  So any drops etc you are having is due tto some other ittue.  Make sure also  the wifi channel you are using is not jammed full of users.   for grins you can try changing it to 1 or 6.  Of course off center channels will work, but if there are a lot of users I think that will just mess you up worse.

Wes.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 2:44 PM Terry <vdsr.tb@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

A question on the android app database:

I know I have to place the downloaded and extracted files into the root of the SD card but does it have to be... SD Card/ES_Android_DB_Images/Explorestars or SD Card/Explorestars ?
I have it in both places now and the old apk works fine, thanks for that tip

Thanks
Terry

--
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS

--
Wes, Southport NC

Terry

Thanks Wes, I'll try that later and report back

Terry
--
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS

Terry

Thanks again Wes
It appears to be working now

I'm intrigued by the Wireless Ascom thing and need to look into that as I had that functionality on my AZ-GTi mount and it was great, just no payload on that thing
--
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS

Wes Mcdonald

Terry

So to be clear the restore function got the pmc8 to connect more consistently over WiFi?  

Wireless ascom is ok,but I always encourage folks to do it wired.  Just gets the total reliability you want for imaging.   So many things can go bad, you don’t need to add a WiFi issue to the list.

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC