Help please! Have I bricked my mount?? #iEXOS-100

Matt

Good afternoon folks,  I'm hoping you can help me. I recently received my iEXOS100 and set it up. It worked fine wirelessly with explorestars on the ipad and via explorestars under windows running on Parallels on my Macbook Pro.

Then I decided to be stupid and try and get it to work on the wired connection so that I could then upgrade the firmware to latest. I used the terminal on my Mac to issue the  ESY! command receiving the ESY0! return. I then issued the ESX! command with no return received as expected as it should now be switched to serial mode via the usb cable.

I then tried to access the mount via the cable with Windows10 on my Mac and on a stand alone Windows10 machine. None of the software will pick up the mount on a com port so I don’t seem now to be able to issue commands back to the mount. The PMC-Eight-#### wireless network still exists but obviously i can’t access via this although I can connect to it.

I accept that this the consequence of reckless fiddling but what can I do to get back to the original state. I have tried two different usb cables.

The sequence of commands I used was…

——————————————

Open a Terminal and enter

nc -u 192.168.47.1 54372

Then enter

ESY!

Now you are in TCP Mode and you can switch to Serial, use this command:

nc 192.168.47.1 54372

And enter

ESX!

Now you are in serial mode and have to connect with a USB cable to the IEXOS 100.

——————————————

All assistance gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Matt

--
Mounts: I EXOS 100 PMC8, iOptron Sky Guider Pro
Telescopes: Horizon 72ED Doublet, Horizon 50mm Guidescope, SAMYANG 135mm ƒ2, Samyang 14mm ƒ2.8, Sigma 150-600mm

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 08:25 AM, Matt wrote:
None of the software will pick up the mount on a com port so I don’t seem now to be able to issue commands back to the mount.
Hi Matt,

What adapter cable are you using? Does it have the FTDI Chipset in it? Do you have a Virtual Com Port (VCP) driver installed? When you plug the cable into your computer, does the com port show in the Device Manager?

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Matt

Hi Jerry, thanks for getting back to me. The usb cable gets listed under windows as "FT232R USB UART". I've managed to install  a legacy com3 port via device manager but windows10 then says it can not allocate resources to it!! So there is no evidence that the usb cable is then mapped to com3.

--
Mounts: I EXOS 100 PMC8, iOptron Sky Guider Pro
Telescopes: Horizon 72ED Doublet, Horizon 50mm Guidescope, SAMYANG 135mm ƒ2, Samyang 14mm ƒ2.8, Sigma 150-600mm
Cameras: ZWO ASI533 Pro, ZWO ASI120MM-s, Nikon Z6
Accessories: ZWO ASIAIR Pro
Software:
Processing Software:
AstroPixelProcessor, Pixinsight

Mirko Gude

Hi Matt,

have you tried to switch back (to Wifi/UDP) with the Mac?

Or was this also not possible?

Best regards,
Mirko

Am 18.06.2021 um 14:25 schrieb Matt via groups.io <matthewneal@...>:

[...]

Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS 100, ES EXOS2-GT
Scopes: Skywatcher 80/600, TS Photoline 72/432mm-Apo
Cameras:  Nikon Z6, D7000, ZWO ASI385 Color, QHY 5L-II-mono
Lens: Sigma 150-600mm, Sigma Art 135mm/1,8, Nikon Z 50mm/1,8, Tamron 70-200mm
Msc: LRTimelapse Pro Timer 2.5, Raspberry Pi4, Polemaster, GPS Dongle, QHY miniGuideScope
Software: PixInsight, Kstars, Starry Night, Redshift

Matt

Hi Mirko, I thought I had tried without success but I've just had another go with CoolTerm on the Mac and it managed to revert it back to wireless/UDP so all is good. What I still don't know is how it managed to do that with a cable that didn't seem to work at all on the windows10 machine!! Also how best to go about updating the firmware on the mount so its easier to use both wireless and wired.

Thank you  for advice and help.

Matt
--
Mounts: I EXOS 100 PMC8, iOptron Sky Guider Pro
Telescopes: Horizon 72ED Doublet, Horizon 50mm Guidescope, SAMYANG 135mm ƒ2, Samyang 14mm ƒ2.8, Sigma 150-600mm
Cameras: ZWO ASI533 Pro, ZWO ASI120MM-s, Nikon Z6
Accessories: ZWO ASIAIR Pro
Software:
Processing Software:
AstroPixelProcessor, Pixinsight

Harry

Hi Matt,
Your process seems almost identical to mine. I changed my iExos 100 from using ExploreStars to serial using a standard USB compatible cable (no chip) and terminal commands from my MacBook Pro. I did not use Windows for this change, just Mac terminal commands. I don’t remember the exact commands or sequence, but they seem about the same as you mentioned. It was successful.  I currently use my iExos 100 with my ASIair Pro (which I see in your bio) you have. The only change was in the ASIair app setup, under scope, the mount was identified, but I had to change the baud rate to 115200. When I did this everything worked perfectly, and still does. However, I have not yet upgraded my 100 to the latest software update. I use my iPad pro with the ASIair pro app.
I have since Bootcamped my mac, but have not as yet used it.
Attached is screenshot of ASIair setup.
Harry
--
Harry

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight

Guide: ZWO 30mm Mini, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini
Software: ASIair Pro, iPad Pro, MacOS, Affinity Photo, SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500 (UV/IR Mod)
Misc: ES USB Power Bank

Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

Matt

Thanks Harry, thats useful info.

Regards,
Matt
--
Mounts: I EXOS 100 PMC8, iOptron Sky Guider Pro
Telescopes: Horizon 72ED Doublet, Horizon 50mm Guidescope, SAMYANG 135mm ƒ2, Samyang 14mm ƒ2.8, Sigma 150-600mm
Cameras: ZWO ASI533 Pro, ZWO ASI120MM-s, Nikon Z6
Accessories: ZWO ASIAIR Pro
Software:
Processing Software:
AstroPixelProcessor, Pixinsight

Bryan McClanahan

If this is the device in the device manager, I think you need to install the virtual con port driver from the FTDI website.  Then the device will show up in the ‘ports’ section with a COM number.  You can then configure the speed in the properties and connect with the windows software pointed at the COM port.

Does everyone in this message thread understand that the latest version of the firmware make both Serial and WiFi available to connect to without having to switch? Everyone should move their systems to the Universal Firmware version 20A01.02. No need to switch communications channels plus a load of new features. The installation kit is available in the files section

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

C. Hanson

Yes I upgraded a couple weeks ago.