Topics

How Do You Rate Explore Scientific? #ExploreScientific

One of the frustrating things about the telescope business is that the industry has to turn on a dime and support a great influx of customers when a significant astronomical event occurs. If you can imagine ramping up a sales rate from several thousand customers to millions of customers in a few short months, then you can understand the problem. Explore Scientific ran into this issue in 2017 when early in the year we decided to support the upcoming Great American Eclipse in August 2017 by selling eclipse glasses.

We ramped up production of our eclipse glasses that were shipped to our headquarters and we enlisted a large team of local volunteers to help package the hundreds of thousands of orders up until the last day before the eclipse. We bought and sold 4 million eclipse glasses if you can imagine. As you can expect, we fell behind as our ordering system buckled under the sheer number of orders. The problem became very acute in the last 2 weeks of the sales as we couldn't keep up with our sales numbers and we basically oversold the number of glasses we had and could ship on time.

You can imagine customers that ordered online the last couple of weeks when we thought we had glasses left to sell and we found the last week that we had actually oversold and we had no more glasses. The customers became pretty upset and there were hundreds that let us know via our customer support lines, Facebook, and our website. There were a lot of customers that contacted the Better Business Bureau in Arkansas and 19 filed reports against us. This was a low point in our business as our intention was to satisfy all our customers but it wasn't to be. What was even worse is that we had hundreds of customers cancel their order even though their order had been shipped the week before, and they received it in the days after the eclipse.

After the Better Business Bureau contacted us we explained the situation and what we were doing to try to make it right. We made a full-court press to contact all our customers who were negatively affected and spared no expense to try and correct it. After a few months, the BBB saw how we responded and posted a message from president Scott Roberts and decided that although we failed those last few customers we also made a huge effort to make it right and awarded Explore Scientific the Torch Award for Ethics.
https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/2018/09/10/16806/

This was a very pleasant surprise and helped us to shake off the experience a little easier knowing that we did our best to make things right.

Unfortunately, our reviews on the BBB website
https://www.bbb.org/us/ar/springdale/profile/scientific-instruments/explore-scientific-llc-0935-90339490#bbbseal

are very negative and we currently have 1.5 stars out of 5 as a business.  I come to you, our PMC-Eight customers to ask you a favor to go to the BBB website and submit your own opinion of our company and how we do business. The current rating is based on the experience customers had in August 2017. We would like to see more current opinions on the BBB website. You can also see Scott's message on the BBB page linked above.

If you decide to place your opinion of our company on the BBB website, we would be very grateful and thank you for your time.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Brent Phillips

just tried to leave a review for you, system is having issues and will not save the review, will try again in the morning.  You guys are great I hate seeing such a low rating.

[Edited Message Follows]

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

SEMPER FI
Brent Phillips
(C) 623-221-9373

Chris Tardif

....and done.

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

Harry

Happy to participate!
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Taro

No problem Jerry

We know you what doing for us.
We know ES what doing for us.

That is why we like you and ES.

Rating is just number, only number.
Not your mind, Not ES mind.

I cheers you and ES ,and follow you.

Clear sky!!

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,WO RedCat51, SVBONY SV48

Wes Mcdonald

Done and Done.

Man, those guys that waited to the list minute were....not smart and overly vindictive.  I bought my stuff months in advance, because it was OBVIOUS to me and to the vendors themselves that it would be too late at the last minute.  Well, as they say, PPPPP ----- Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance!

The most painful wounds are self inflicted.

wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jennifer Shelly

I will definitely take the time to do this.  I have received nothing short of top notch service from ES.

[Edited Message Follows]

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, Meade APO 70 MM Astrograph, QHY Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

Jennifer Shelly

Just left a 5 star review.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 11:13 AM, Jennifer Shelly <drunkendogg@...> wrote:

I will definitely take the time to do this.  I have received nothing short of top notch service from ES.

Jennifer

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, Meade APO 70 MM Astrograph, QHY Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

Jim McKee

Done.  Easy to write 5 star review for an excellent company
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

Amanda McAlpin

Done!!
--

IG: @grumpygumption
Mount

Tim Robertson

Done!

[Edited Message Follows]

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Tim Robertson
ALPO Observers Notebook Podcast host
ALPO Training Program coordinator
Minor Planet- 50718Timrobertson

Jim J

5 stars from me.
Thanks for the BBB link Jerry.

Tommy

5 stars from me.

Thanks,

-Tommy

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 10:30 AM Jim J <oldwacko52@...> wrote:
5 stars from me.
Thanks for the BBB link Jerry.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and continued support. The way I look at it is that we are all in this together, and as the Astronomy Technology Today article said, we don't do this to get rich, that will never happen. The amateur astronomy community generally works together and supports each other along with competing as best we can to develop new and innovative products. We make mistakes like everyone else, but when we do, we want to correct it and make it right.

Clear Skies!!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Rick Walker

5 here

m4ttnova .

Done, it's very easy to give a company with this amount of customer support a 5 star review.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019, 21:38 Rick Walker, <rixworx@...> wrote:
5 here

Cybermonk

Done.  ô¿ô

Jeff Snell

Done Jerry.  It was my pleasure.  You guys have been great to work with.  I guess it takes a few days but I'm sure you'll start seeing the positive feedback from everyone on the BBB website soon.

Jeff Snell

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Chris Tardif

The BBB kicked mine back...something about my identity...Maybe its a Canadian thing.
--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.
CameraASI120MM Mini (mono), Altair GPCAM 130
Control PC: Intel NUC
Loc: 44 -79

Dan Kahraman

I am a Canadian Thing too!