Topics

How to goto a star in ExploreStars

Wes Mcdonald

Newbie here.  All connected, using ExploreStars.  Danged if I can see how to have it goto a star by name.  Probably too obvious for me to notice...did load the extra stars database.

Help!

Wes.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Wes,

When you search for a star, if there is not a common proper noun for the star you can search for the Bayer designation such as Alpha Lyra, or Upsilon Hydra. I think you can find the brightest stars that way. Also, if you know the Tycho designation, then you can search that way also. If you use the graphical interface you can select on the Alignment Stars to see the brightest stars that are used when doing alignments also.

Jerry

Wes Mcdonald

Jerry:

The only search I can access is from the drop down bar, top left.  This search opens a blue search window in Windows I believe.  It tries, and can find some stuff, but the results returned tend to be all sorts of things.  For example a simple search for "stars" returns all the M# objects and lots of stars -- but not in any discernable alphabetical order.  Uff.  What am I missing?

1.  Don't like the break in red light
2.  No alphabetical order = not much use

Wes.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Wes,

Yes, this is the default text search tool that is part of the Metro interface for all apps. You typically have to be pretty specific in your search terms to make it useful. Have you tried to search for any particular star designator?

Jerry

Wes Mcdonald

Jerry, that is the key, very specific search terms.   A small factoid I found was the Take a Tour.  It finds lots of objects, all you need is the constellation -- this is a nice feature for sure.  It seems like the app might one day be able to have its own search, in red light, linked to the object database installed, specific to the database.  This would be an excellent feature.  I imagine a hash table included as part of the database which the search app would use to index the thing -- the app could be sort of dumb, with the smarts built into the hash table.  Of course of the database was an actual database a simple query would return pertinent responses.

As with all new things, this is just taking some getting used to, and working up the learning curve for how ExploreStars works...it certainly is different than the way Meade does it with their Autostar.  I liken it to Windows and OsX -- each do the same things but there are interesting differences.  I always found the Mac easier, once I quit trying to do things the Windows way.  That is going to be the key with ExploreStars..do it their way and things are relatively easy.

Regards,
Wes.