Topics

iEXOS 100 Azimuth Adjuster for ST1 Tripod #poll #ExploreScientific #iexos-100

As you may or may not know. currently the iEXOS 100 Azimuth Adjuster Adapter

https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/pmc-eight/products/iexos100-azimuth-adjuster-adapter

is available and works with the ST2 and ST3 tripods. The ST3 tripod is the one delivered on the EXOS 2 PMC-Eight mount and the ST2 is delivered with the Twilight II mount. There has been a request to be able to put the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter on the ST1 tripod that comes standard with the iEXOS 100 mount. Currently the price for the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter is $99.99 and to make use of it with the iEXOS 100 mount you have to purchase at least the ST2 tripod, currently $149.99.

Our goal is to support all our customers, not just the ones that would like the payload capacity increase that the upgraded tripods would provide, but also for those who just want to have a precision azimuth adjustment with the lightweight ST1 tripod. So I need to understand the market for a product or kit that would allow you to put the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter onto your current ST1 tripod and if you be okay with a small incremental price increase to cover our expenses in delivering this choice to our existing iEXOS 100 customers. So first, do you know for a fact that you would purchase the Azimuth Adjustment Adapter to make it easier to adjust the mount during polar alignment if it would fit your existing ST1 tripod? And if you definitely would buy it, then how much would you be willing to pay knowing that currently you have to spend at least $149.99 for an ST2 tripod?

We are also considering adding this to the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter package at an increased price point. So instead of $99.99 it would be more also (to be determined) This would be a change to the product going forward and every iEXOS 100 ST1 tripod would come ready to install the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter.

Thanks for participating in the poll.

Results

Tony Ward

$99 - that becomes £350 by the time it’s hit UK shores. Add much more to it and people will just buy the next mount up the scale, especially given the lack of polar scope

On 26 Sep 2019, at 21:45, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

[...]

1. Yes, I am definitely interested in buying the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter for my ST1 tripod and I would buy it today.
2. No, I do not need the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter at all, I am fine with the existing design
3. Maybe, I do not currently have a need for the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter, but when I get more serious about my polar alignment I would probably buy one.
4. I would pay up to $10 for the kit to upgrade my ST1 tripod
5. I would pay from $10 to $15 for the kit to upgrade my ST1 tripod
6. I would pay from $15 to $25 for the kit to upgrade my ST1 tripod
7. I would pay over $25 for the kit ot upgrade my ST1 tripod

Vote Now

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Tony,

$USD99->GBP350?  Yowza - how's that happen?  That's a heckuva hike.
I am sensitive to cross-border-cross-currency pain, as I'm in Canada and we have our own issues...but wow...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 05:30 PM, Tony Ward wrote:
$99 - that becomes £350 by the time it’s hit UK shores. Add much more to it and people will just buy the next mount up the scale, especially given the lack of polar scope
Hi Tony, perhaps, that seems a bit extreme,  but I have already talked about our thinking on the pricing, and at least within our family of mounts, the EXOS 2 mount is still substantially more expensive. If you haven't seen my explanation,
please see message

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/4663
and

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/4664

Thanks!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Patrick Maher

Edited

In the poll, I answered that I would pay over $25 for the upgrade because that was the 'most correct' answer for my thoughts on this so I felt I should add my thoughts here.

That being said, having purchase an ST-2 tripod is not the direction I want to go.  If I'd need to buy a completely different tripod, presumably, to cannibalize some parts I'm not interested.  I already have too many extra parts that I don't need wasting space in our house.  Having cannibalized tripod parts leftover is not my idea of purchasing an adapter to add a feature to a new mount.

Being that we would need to purchase an ST-2 tripod, I assume the thought process here is to remove the tripod top plate from the ST-2 tripod after it arrives to us...  then add the ST-1 legs with some spacers.  Then I would have ST-2 legs that I don't need or want lying around...  and the old ST-1 top plate lying around.  That doesn't interest me.  A lone adapter that accomplishes the purpose interests me and I would pay in the $99-149 range for that.  To simply combine the parts of two mounts by cannibalization, I could do that on my own as a last resort but it is not something I want to do with a brand new mount.   That sounds more like what one does to improve an old dog of a mount.

This also means that further adapting the current azimuth adapter (which I think is a great piece of hardware, by the way) is not the way I would go in this.  I would want a completely different adapter that I just attach to the bottom of my iEXOS-100 mount head before attaching it to my ST-1 tripod.  Requiring the need to drill a hole or two in my current ST-1 wouldn't be a problem for me or most anyone either.

If I absolutely had to end up with some unused parts here, I would prefer to have simply purchased a new ST-1b tripod, ready to go, from Explore Scientific.  Then I would have a complete ST-1 and complete ST-1b tripod.  I don't want to cannibalize two tripods leaving me with extra parts I don't want.  I don't want to become a parts warehouse.

Patrick

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:17 AM, Patrick Maher wrote:
If I'd need to buy a completely different tripod, presumably, to cannibalize some parts I'm not interested.
Hi Patrick,
I am not sure what you mean by having to cannibalize some parts from the different tripod. Currently, to use the azimuth adapter, you would need to buy an ST2 tripod (now known as the Twilight Medium Duty Tripod) to go along with it. You would not be swapping parts with your ST1 tripod at all, that would remain intact. So your choices once you purchase the ST2 and the azimuth adapter are to use the ST1 without precise azimuth or use the ST2 with precise azimuth. We are working on a solution for those who want to use the azimuth adjuster with their current ST1 tripod that is why I asked the question in the poll as to how much more you would be willing to spend if you could buy the azimuth adjuster, currently $99.99, with the extra parts to make it work with all of the tripods, ST1, ST2 (Twilight Medium Duty Tripod) , or ST3 (Twilight Heavy Duty Tripod).

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Patrick Maher

Okay, Jerry, clearly I misunderstood.  Thanks for clarifying.  With the multiple references to needing to purchase an ST-2, at a minimum, I misunderstood what you wrote.

Patrick

--

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 01:31 PM, Patrick Maher wrote:
Okay, Jerry, clearly I misunderstood.
Hi Patrick,  no worries, we are working on a solution so that you would not need to buy a separate tripod.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Taro

Hello Jerry

 Thank you for very quick solution plan.
II was convinced that purchasing ES products was right.

All the best
--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,SVBONY SV48

chrisjbourque@...

There are a couple of considerations for me when I was answering this poll. Most Importantly, my answers must be weighted against the fact that I am still VERY new to AP and Polar Alignments, so I am still trying to figure out "what works". With that said:

1) I am very interested in a fine azimuth adjustment for my ST1, but at an upgrade cost of >1/4 the price of the entire tripod/mount system, it makes me think twice as to whether or not I truly need it. (being a newbie, low cost was a prime consideration for me before purchasing the iEXOS-100)

2) The azimuth adjustment is fairly smooth "out of box" for the ST1, despite it just being a manual loosening of the central bolt and gently turning the mount. I feel as though "fine" adjustments can be made using this method but...

3) I am still learning the ropes for Polar Alignment and have yet to get it super precise (I don't auto-guide, or plate solve, or any of that stuff yet, as I am trying to balance cost + learning, and I don;t know what I want/need yet)

4) Probably a good polar scope for the iEXOS-100 would be the best option for me right now, today.
For me, I like doing things manually first, and then add additional gear + complexity later, once I have a handle on the basics (hence, no auto-guiding or advanced tracking via computers yet). Until I have a good polar scope, I just don't have a sense of how much added benefit the fine azimuth adjustment would provide (or until I master the drift method).

chrisjbourque@...

Just updated my voting choices. Not sure this is still being looked at, but wanted to update my thinking.

After trying to polar align precisely, I can see the very great benefit of having a fine adjustment for azimuth. So I have changed my vote to "Yes, I am definitely interested in buying an Azimuth adjustment for my ST1".

I was just curious if there has been any movement on an upgrade kit that would allow for this?

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

The adapter plate, and tripods that it will fit on, are available online.

Adapter: https://explorescientific.com/products/iexos100-azimuth-adjuster-adapter?_pos=4&_sid=88e50e51c&_ss=r

Mounts, the Twlight Medium Duty and Heavy Duty: https://explorescientific.com/collections/twilight-ii

Kent

chrisjbourque@...

Hi Kent

Thanks for following-up!

But yes, I am aware the adapter works with the ST2 and ST3 tripods by default.

I was actually referring to Jerry's original polling question for this thread (above). Specifically, he was trying to gauge the level of interest for people who wish to use the azimuth adjuster on the original ST1 tripod that comes bundled with the iEXOS-100 (rather than having to upgrade to, at minimum, a $150 ST2 tripod in addition to buying the adjuster).

I was just wondering if this was still on the radar to develop? Was there enough interest to justify?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 03:15 PM, <chrisjbourque@...> wrote:
I was just wondering if this was still on the radar to develop? Was there enough interest to justify?
Hi Chris,

I just talked to Kent about this to see what the status of that work was. We actually did follow through a few weeks ago and designed and produced the necessary parts to install the azimuth adjuster adapter to the original iEXOS 100 ST1 tripod. The plan was to make an inline change to what is manufactured and start to include the parts for this with the adapter. It should be available soon. I am waiting to hear specifically when it will be in stock.

To tell you the truth, even with all the clamor to provide a better azimuth adjuster, we have actually only sold a few. We hope that they will sell better once we are providing the parts to us it with the ST1 tripod.
Sometimes even with customer clamor for a change, it doesn't always pan out in  terms of sales, so we have to take a risk trying to please very few customers.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Chris Tardif

Although  haven't actually had my IEXOS in the field since I got my adapter I am so far very happy with it.  I just need to sky to clear up...
--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

My understanding is that the adapter to make the azimuth adjustment plate work on the existing tripod should be available in mid-December.

Kent

But yes, I am aware the adapter works with the ST2 and ST3 tripods by default.

I was actually referring to Jerry's original polling question for this thread (above). Specifically, he was trying to gauge the level of interest for people who wish to use the azimuth adjuster on the original ST1 tripod that comes bundled with the iEXOS-100 (rather than having to upgrade to, at minimum, a $150 ST2 tripod in addition to buying the adjuster).

I was just wondering if this was still on the radar to develop? Was there enough interest to justify?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

--
Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Gear: Anything in the store!

chrisjbourque@...

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the update! I will watch closely for this when it becomes available!

Also, understood on the "customer clamor" piece. I see very similar things in my industry, where feedback from customers is often... let's say an "idealized view". But often not followed through in behavior when it comes to brass tax (i.e. money and mouth are in very different locations, lol). Not sure if that is happening here, to be fair. It might just need more time to catch on, and we are getting close to the expensive Christmas season.

Anyhow, I also hope the adjuster gains in popularity once compatible with the ST1. I believe that being able to add this accessory to the stock tripod will be more palatable for most iEXOS-100 owners. So I would think you should start moving more units. But Kudos to you and your team for following through in response to customer feedback, and taking the risk! Much appreciated from customers like me.

I would actually purchase today if available (so there's one more, at least :P). I'm very eager to have this. (I only needed to sit out in the cold once trying to precisely polar align to understand the benefit this little add-on should provide)

Many thanks!
-Chris

chrisjbourque@...

Edited

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 05:03 PM, Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service wrote:

My understanding is that the adapter to make the azimuth adjustment plate work on the existing tripod should be available in mid-December.

Kent

Awesome! Thanks for the update, Kent!