Topics

IEXOS-100 / camera at the counter wight bar?

Mirko Gude

Hi all,

could someone recommend an adapter to put a DSLR camera at the counter wight bar?
Or is this not a good idea? I‘am a newbie and I would like to use my IEXOS-100 mount with a telescope and the DSLR at the same time. Has someone experience with a 3kg telescope and 3kg camera?

thanks and best regards,
Mirko

Marco

Hi Mirko,

when I´m counting correct, the maximum payload for the IEXOS-100 mount (which I use myself) ist 4,8kg for astrophotography (6,8kg at all - 2kg counterweights).
So with 6kg + 2kg counterweight you´re a bit overloaded... in theory.
Maybe you give it a try and report if it works?
I assume there are other people here which have already done this and can give you some hints.

Best,
Marco

Mirko Gude

Hi Marco,

maybe I’am wrong, but as far as I know is the max payload 7kg. And I hope with the camera at the counterweight bar, I don’t need an additional counterweight.

So, no suggestions for a camera adapter?

Thanks and best regards,
Mirko

Am 12.01.2020 um 23:27 schrieb Marco <astromac@...>:

Hi Mirko,

when I´m counting correct, the maximum payload for the IEXOS-100 mount (which I use myself) ist 4,8kg for astrophotography (6,8kg at all - 2kg counterweights).
So with 6kg + 2kg counterweight you´re a bit overloaded... in theory.
Maybe you give it a try and report if it works?
I assume there are other people here which have already done this and can give you some hints.

Best,
Marco

julian.shroff1@...

It's possible. Balancing will be tough tho. I'd much prefer Piggybacking the second setup on top of the first one.

Something like this would work https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p229_TS-Optics-Piggyback-Camera-Holder-for-D-20-mm-Counterweight-Shafts.html
Note: I don't remember the diameter of the counterweight shaft so you'd have to check whether it fits the iExos 100 or not.

I've loaded my iExos up to 8kg and had 1.2" RMS but I wouldn't really recommend going further, the motors won't appreciate it haha

Mirko,

I just deleted my last post.

Realized that your camera on the bar would have to be be aligned with the scope (tricky doing that, though...). Because of that, the DEC balance issue might be less problematic than I thought, but I can't quite get my head around how RA balance would be affected by that offset camera weight and its changing leverage as the mount moves...

Anyway... still think your simplest solution would be a piggyback, or just alternating imaging and visual nights or getting a tripod upgrade that up-rates your mount capacity.

FWIW (one more time...)

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Mirko Gude

Hi Bob and Julian,

thanks for your comments. Last weekend I could play around a little bit. The adapter seems not to fit, so I don’ buy it.

Piggyback works, but only with a small DSLR equiment (50mm objectiv) and two additional counter wights. A 200mm works also in, but the exposure is limited (45seconds was my best result). I will post a picture in the "Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 thread.

Maybe in the future I have to buy a more solid mount And I have some more options to test: DSLR thru the telescope (Skywatcher AP 80/600 EvoStar)

Thanks and best regards,
Mirko