#iEXOS-100 - Clicking with tracking enabled and will not track #iEXOS-100

m.steele

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Iexos-100 owner and was loving the mount so far.

However tonight after imaging a little bit all of a sudden the mount lost tracking ability. The RA motor now clicks when tracking and will not track. PHD2 loses the star location right away and no matter what commands it sends the mount it will not track.

I tried disabling everything and using it in explorestars only - same issue - there is no tracking.

I updated the firmware - didn't fix it.

The mount slews fine - although it's off target even though it has a great polar alignment. But even then it will not track werever it ends up and the RA motor makes a ticking sound.

I have a video of the ticking sound if needed.

Should I open up the motor and see if the gears are okay? I'm afraid something slipped off or a gear got ground down somehow.

Kiyoshi Kasai

HI

I have experienced the same issue at the beginning.

1. you have to balance both RA and Dec axis with all parts for example cable for power of camera.
2. Don't tighten clutches of both RA and Dec axis too much.

Kiyoshi

On 02.11.2021 01:30, m.steele wrote:
[...]

It seemed like it was quite well balanced. I'll try loosening up the clutches and see if that helps at all.

I'm also using a battery pack I wonder if for some reason it;s expecting a bit more voltage if the batteries drained a bit?

Diego Melgarejo

Hi Kiyoshi
Could you elaborate more about the 2nd point?
It doesn't make sense to me loosening the clutches... O would bet tighter is better, but maybe I'm wrong.
I'm curious about your explanation

Kiyoshi Kasai

Hi Diego

On the page 13 of the iEXOS instruction manual (booklet 2019) you can read:

"How tight do I need to make the clutches?"
Clutches are designed so that the operator does not have to loosen a knob to move the telescope.
You find the setting that you like and leave it. The clutches will operate with just the slightest tension,
though fully locked. You can not damage the motors or the drive by over tightening the clutches.

The best tension of tightening the clutches is if you can move the telescope manually without to loosen a knob.
We read "You can not damage the motors or the drive by over tightening the clutches."
But I experienced the over tightening the clutches causes the clicking of motors.

Kiyoshi

On 02.11.2021 21:00, Diego Melgarejo wrote:
Hi Kiyoshi
Could you elaborate more about the 2nd point?
It doesn't make sense to me loosening the clutches... O would bet tighter is better, but maybe I'm wrong.
I'm curious about your explanation

m.steele

I tried some different combinations and loosened the clutches some - no change still clicks and doesn't track. It will move and slew to objects though.

Next thing I'm going to try is new batteries to see if there is something with voltage that may be causing it.

Walter Torres <walterftorres@...>

m.steele,
      The exact same thing is happening with my mount.  At first it tracked and guided great.  Now it’ll appear to work when first setup, but after that when switching targets where the RA needs to move a significant distance it’ll sound like it’s grinding stones and actually seizes.  BTW, the mount is about two weeks old.

Wes Mcdonald

Walter  and m.steele

At least walte'rs issue is surely binding of the worm/wheel.  You must adjust the mesh, as it is too tight.  You can follow the directions in this video.

This is a common thing users have to get right.  You can search the forum for many discussions on this but this is the way.

m.steele, you should sign your name, and also please fill out your signature block so we can see what your gear is, its important.
Wes.

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

m.steele

That's exactly what mine is doing too. I also bought it around a similar time to yours.

m.steele

Thanks Wes,

I got my signature working - equipment list is there.

My mount is doing a similar thing to Wes's where I can hear a grinding noise after the first slew. Bought in the same period as well.

I'm going to try new batteries tonight and see if it's a voltage issue. I checked back lash and everything appears tight no movement really at all.

--
- Matthew

Iexos-100 Mount
Sony A5000 DSLR
Samyang 135mm
ZWO ASI 120MM
SVBony SV165 guidescope

Walter Torres <walterftorres@...>

Matthew,

When I first used the mount it worked great.  But I did notice it had backlash in the RA so I followed that video to remove it and I got it nice and tight.  In hindsight I think that’s when the grinding started.

Per Wes’ suggestions above I followed the same video to, this time, loosen the gear - worm screw contract a bit and that seems to have solved my problem, at least in my living room it did.  I slewed at least a dozen times from one side of the meridian to the other and did not hear the grinding any more.

I did reintroduce the backlash back into the RA motor but I think that once the mount is tracking or guiding its a nonissue.  Of the weather holds I’ll be trying it tonight.

If you also happen to have tightened your gears to remove the backlash you may want to loosen them up a bit and see if the grinding goes away.

m.steele

I didn't tighten them up to remove any backlash but I assume they could have been too tight from the factory possibly.

I'll introduce a small amount of backlash and give that a try. You may be onto to something in that it's too tight for the stepper motor to move it at the low voltages.
--
- Matthew

Iexos-100 Mount
Sony A5000 DSLR
Samyang 135mm
ZWO ASI 120MM
SVBony SV165 guidescope

Wes Mcdonald

Matthew:

It does not take much binding to stall the motors, and the difference between too tight and ok is tiny.  Also realize as Alex points out in the video you must test the mesh over the entire rotational positions (360 degrees) to be sure you won’t bind anywhere.  The reason is the mechanical alignments are not perfect and the wheel might move away and closer to the worm as the axis rotates.

If the batter is low the unit might not provide the torque to turn the motor, and movement will be impaired.  If the power supply is good, you can increase or decrease the maximum current of the motors using the current settings available in the UFCT.  The higher you set the current limit the more torque the motor will provide and the more binding it can handle.    The firmware will prevent you from raising the current too high.  The reason for reducing go the current is to improve the batter lifetime.  But honestly it probably makes little difference to lifetime for well balanced mounts.

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

m.steele

Got it working!

On your last post I got the idea to see if the stepper motor would even turn.

Throughout this testing I must have ran down the batteries even further as slewing wouldn't even work now.

I took off the belt to see if the stepper motor would turn at all without a load - it wouldn't.

I went out and bought new batteries (this time not panasonic ones but Energizer max) to rule out any voltage issues.

Put the new batteries in - everything works properly.

Weird that the battery drain would start with a grinding noise when slewing and not tracking at all.

I ran it through the whole RA axis - no grinding and the tracking works now!

Looks like it will be clear tonight as well so I'll be able to properly test it but looks like this is working!
--
- Matthew

Iexos-100 Mount
Sony A5000 DSLR
Samyang 135mm
ZWO ASI 120MM
SVBony SV165 guidescope

Wes Mcdonald

Matthew

You are going to eat batteries.  Suggest you get the ES power pack or better just run the mount on an extension cord at your house.

We’d

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

m.steele

Thanks Wes, that was my plan and I do have a large battery pack with both a DC and AC outlet on it. Do you know what barrel connector the Iexos-100 uses?

I live up in Canada so it's quite expensive to pay for shipping for the official ES one.

--
- Matthew

Iexos-100 Mount
Sony A5000 DSLR
Samyang 135mm
ZWO ASI 120MM
SVBony SV165 guidescope

Frank Rich

Good Morning Mathew

Below is the link from Amazon for the cable I purchased for my EXOS100 mount, and the link to the product
I purchased a portable power supply from Harbor Freight Tools ($69, not sure you have these in canada)

Good Luck

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 09:10 PM, m.steele wrote:
Do you know what barrel connector the Iexos-100 uses?
The barrel connector is the industry standard 2.1 x 5.5 mm.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jennifer Shelly

This is what I use for my iEXOS-100 for about $15 on Amazon.

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G-11, PMC-8 EXOS-2, PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100 f/7.5, N208CF f/3.9 / Askar FRA400 f/5.6, FRA600 f/5.6 / Meade LX850 10” ACF f/8 / QHY Mini Guide Scope f/4.3 / Solomark F60 Guide Scope f/3.6
Cameras: QHY600M, 128C, 168C, 183M, 5III174C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5, High Res Stepper, V2 Mini Controller / Baader SteelTrack NT, SteelTrack SC, SteelDrive II, UFC, 2” LRGBSHO CCD / Optolong 2" L-Pro, L-eNhance, L-Extreme, 1.25” LRGBSHO CCD / QHY CFW3-L, CFW3-S, OAG-M / Primaluce Lab Sesto Senso 2
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro
Processing Software: PixInsight / Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Elements

Vance LaSalle

I had this problem when I put my C5 spotting scope on my IEXOS-100 mount  I had to buy another counterweight and that solved my problem when it clicked and did not track