iExos 100 disconecting from wifi #iEXOS-100

Luiz Sanches

Hello
Robert, I make a test in all day and worked! But, at same time, I was make others tests thinking what is the solution... and... sometimes the mount worked for days and after, no.... In this month, in Brazil, is summer and are many clouds here.... I want to make the test for to many nights to see if this is the solution.
Maybe next month I can tell you. Thank you!

Luiz Sanches

Hello.
After months , the sky open and I can use the mount again.
Now I am using "generic hub" and is working well without any disconnect in all night!
So, if you is having any problems with POTH or Device hub, try this.

Dave Carey

Hello,

I too have had nothing but problems using POTH with EXOS2 PMC-8 with serial connection.
The direction buttons on POTH hub only move RA no matter which I click, and sometimes the mount just carries on moving after a single click, sometimes by 30' (which is how it's set).
When NINA is connected to POTH, the direction buttons in the NINA telescope interface work as expected (I.e. correctly). Slews in NINA, APT, work OK

So where can I find this 'generic hub' please? I would very much like to test it out.
--
Dave Carey
Ramsgate, Kent, UK 51.34N 1.42E 24m ASL

Wes Mcdonald

Poth button movements work as poth wants them to.  It has nothing to do with the pmc8. But you are not incorrect, those poth buttons are a waste.

Nina buttons are different.  They move the mount RA axis with the east west buttons and the dec axis with the north south buttons.  And they move it at a rate.  This is more in concert with the way my mind works when it comes to the buttons.

Poth buttons move the telescope line of sight to the East, west, north or south by the number  of degrees denoted in the distance drop down box.  The amount of movement needed on either axis to affect a line of sight change of a fixed amount is dependent upon where the scope is pointing (on an equatorial mount such as ours). Thus the movement might not be what you think, especially when looking north.  Also I believe the Poth button is designed to move the mount the designated number of degrees with a single button press, thus you must hit the stop button if you want to stop before the mount achieves the desired move.   Nina buttons are simple— motor run with button down, motor stop with button up.

So in summary the pmc8 is always doing what it is told.  The Poth buttons are not doing what you expect because your expectations are incorrect.  But hopefully the above will help you understand the deal.

I hate Poth button too, and pretty much never use them.  It’s a club with a lot of members!

+1  Can confirm.

I kept expecting POTH buttons to be intuitive, so something else must be wrong...  Nope!

Whoever designed that functionality did not do it for simple souls like me, and I have given up on POTH's arrow buttons.  Life is too short.  I use it as a hub, I park/unpark, I connect/disconnect, and that's it.

I plate-solve, so I don't always need buttons, but when I do, I use BYN's buttons.  :-)

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

[Beating a dead horse]

POTH seems to have an issue slewing from the “HOME” position, which is already a chellange. HOME position implies that the mount is aligned with the celestial pole, therefore North is meaningless,  since you’re already there; and South is ambiguous, since either way you move the DEC axis you will be heading south.  I bet there are ways around this (Jerry or Wes would know), but it doesn’t look like POTH has addressed it. Given the math weirdness at this singularity, I’ve accepted strange behavior there.  But once you move away from the Home position, you’d expect the system to behave. POTH seems to be still confused, though, re-assigning north & south depending on which direction it initially chose as South. The Device Hub seems to have the same issues. Maybe we should just chill…

Chuck Lewis

[...]

Scope: Explore Scientific AR-102, Astro-Tech AD72ED, Nikon kit lenses
Mounts: Exos2GT-PMC8, Homebrew barndoor tracker
Camera: Nikon D7000, QHY5III-462C
S/W:  APT, DeepSkyStacker, Stellarium, CdC, PHD2, Sharpcap Pro, Gimp, RawTherapee, StarTools

Yeh. “Patient:  Doc, it hurts when I do this....  Doctor:  Don’t do that!”

Don’t use POTH arrows .  Pain stops.

Remember, North or South changes depending on which side of the pier (Meridian) you are on also.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Dave Carey

Thanks for all the replies!
I wish I had known that when I started. I see in the POTH setup that you can turn the controls off, which will remove the temptation to use them..

Thanks to Wes' explanation I now understand what's going on. If at the home position, a S movement in POTH will attempt to move the scope Southwards (down) towards the Northern horizon, which of course would require a 90 degree RA move and a small DEC movement, i.e. it's moving the mount in alt/az (up down left right) relative to the horizon rather than RA/DEC.
I might have a look at the source code for POTH to see if that's what's happening.

Still, thanks to your help I won't be using those controls any more!
--
Dave Carey
Ramsgate, Kent, UK 51.34N 1.42E 24m ASL
Mount: EXOS II GT / PMC-8
Camera: Canon EOS M50
Lens: 28-135mm, Sigma 150-500mm APO
PC & Software: Surface pro 7, ASCOM 6.5SP1, Stellarium, APT 3.87, Affinity photo 1.91 (with stacking!)

Jennifer Shelly

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Nina buttons are different.  They move the mount RA axis with the east west buttons and the dec axis with the north south buttons.  And they move it at a rate.  This is more in concert with the way my mind works when it comes to the buttons.
POTH will behave the same as NINA if the rate/speed of 2.5 is selected rather than using one of the degree choices. The reason I chose to use 2.5 in POTH because it is the rate/speed in NINA.

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro