Topics

#iexos-100 / Mac OS #iEXOS-100

Mirko Gude

Hi,

what are the options to control the IEXOS 100 Mount from a Mac (Laptop or iPad) with an Astronomie program (like Starry Night)?

I’ve tried some attempts with Starry Night, but I could not get it working. Maybe I did not exactly understand, what software I need. Now I think, the ASCOM driver is necessary in this case, but it is not available.

I’ve tried also the latest version from Stellarium (for Mac) - it supports ASCOM, but I could not figure out how to get this working. Ok, inside the stellarium program I could not select the IEXOS 100 mount, but I would expect, that other mounts would work, because they are using ASCOM.

The only one solution that was working (not very stable) was KStars with Indi Driver.

So If here are some Mac users, maybe they can give a brief notice (Software, Connection TypeWIFI/Serial), what you are using.

Thanks and best regards,
Mirko

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 01:40 PM, Mirko Gude wrote:
I’ve tried also the latest version from Stellarium (for Mac) - it supports ASCOM, but I could not figure out how to get this working. Ok, inside the stellarium program I could not select the IEXOS 100 mount, but I would expect, that other mounts would work, because they are using ASCOM.
Hi Mirko,

I think you are a bit misinformed as the standard ASCOM platform is Windows only, there is the new ASCOM Alpaca REST based network interface/server that can run multiplatform though, you may be thinking of that.
The only other alternative is INDI on MacOS. There are a few users on here that are using INDI on MacOS, but I think it might only be 2 or 3 users. Hopefully they will chime in. 

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Dominick Tuccio

Mirko,

as Jerry noted, Indi is really the only option to directly control the mount from a Mac. I currently have a Linux computer acting as the go-between with the PMC-8 and my MacBook Pro, but I have connected my Mac directly to the PMC-8 (through wifi and serial).

Kstars works well for me. Kstars uses Indi through Ekos which also provides an indi driver for sky safari. The nice thing about Ekos is that it provides a graphical interface for setting up the built-in indi server and drivers. Also, Ekos lets you control cameras and other hardware as well, so astrophotography becomes fairly simple without needing a bunch of different programs. The built-in plate-solving works well most of the time also.

Alternatively, you can run a stand-alone indi server on the Mac. If the Sky Safari driver is enabled in the indi server, then you can control the mount directly through that program without using Kstars. There may be a way to control the mount using Stellarium and the Indi server, but I haven't explored that setup.

Hope this helps.

--
Dominick Tuccio
Long, Island, New York
Telescope: 8 inch Meade LX200 ACF
Imaging Cameras: Pentax K3, ZWO ASI183MM Pro w/ ASI EFW and Baader LRGB filters
Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MM-S
Mount: EXOS2-GT w/PMC-8
Mount Controller: LattePanda Alpha 864s with Linux Mint 
Software: KSTARS/EKOS, INDI

Mirko Gude

Hi Dominick,

thanks for the explanation. So I will try KStars again.

Best, 
Mirko

Am 30.06.2020 um 04:07 schrieb Dominick Tuccio <dtuccio@...>:

Mirko,

as Jerry noted, Indi is really the only option to directly control the mount from a Mac. I currently have a Linux computer acting as the go-between with the PMC-8 and my MacBook Pro, but I have connected my Mac directly to the PMC-8 (through wifi and serial).

Kstars works well for me. Kstars uses Indi through Ekos which also provides an indi driver for sky safari. The nice thing about Ekos is that it provides a graphical interface for setting up the built-in indi server and drivers. Also, Ekos lets you control cameras and other hardware as well, so astrophotography becomes fairly simple without needing a bunch of different programs. The built-in plate-solving works well most of the time also.

Alternatively, you can run a stand-alone indi server on the Mac. If the Sky Safari driver is enabled in the indi server, then you can control the mount directly through that program without using Kstars. There may be a way to control the mount using Stellarium and the Indi server, but I haven't explored that setup.

Hope this helps.

--
Dominick Tuccio
Long, Island, New York
Telescope: 8 inch Meade LX200 ACF
Imaging Cameras: Pentax K3, ZWO ASI183MM Pro w/ ASI EFW and Baader LRGB filters
Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MM-S
Mount: EXOS2-GT w/PMC-8
Mount Controller: LattePanda Alpha 864s with Linux Mint 
Software: KSTARS/EKOS, INDI