#iEXOS-100 #polaralignment #tracking #ASCOM iEXOS 100 tracking error when polar aligned #iEXOS-100 #polaralignment #ASCOM #tracking

Martin, Kosice

Hi,
I have used my iEXOS-100 mount for three months now. When I got it, tracking was alright, but sometimes the RA stepper motor skipped steps. Because of this, I've adjusted the worm gear so that it won't be pushing so hard on the main gear and the backlash would still be minimal. However, no matter how good my polar alignment was, I still got big star trails on my subs(60 sec). I've tried polar aligning with NINA polar alignment and ekos legacy polar alignment(I can't see Polaris). When I try to adjust the polar alignment, the trails are still present. Is my polar alignment bad, or did I screw up my mount?
Thank you for any answers.
--
Martin, Kosice, Slovakia
Mount: iEXOS 100

Sebastian

Martin
you are using Drift alignment.  You got a 480 mm scope which should be much forgiving with 1 min exposure time.

When you got the mount , everything was ok. Then you did some worm adjustments and things got worse. I would assume then not the alignment is your issue.

There is a guiding tool called PHD2. It also has a drift alignment tool. Maybe you can try this out.

Martin, Kosice

I was thinking about using phd2, but I don't have a guide camera and my main camera is dlsr.
--
Martin, Kosice, Slovakia
Mount: iEXOS 100
Telescope: ExploreScientific ED80
Camera: Nikon D7100 stock
Software: APT, ROG Zephyrus G14 (Windows 10)

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Sir,

60-second subs on a iEXOS-100, unguided,  is pretty tricky.  You have to make sure of the following:

1.       the payload is balanced properly in the RA and DEC axis.

2.       I can’t see Polaris either, so I use SharpCap Pro.  Pretty cool tool.

3.       Make  sure the mount is levelled as well.

The most I got out of the iEXOS-100 was 60-seconds unguided, but I am sure I can do more.  I am mostly into

planetary imaging.  I have played around DSOs, but not seriously.

As for worm adjustments, view the following video by Alex and see if you have those problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXE_BMKVAw&list=PLH50bM7JLoL1PlxOIJPaTyhVL8fVWOMxS&index=9

JR

[...]

Hi, my balance was good on ra and dec, and I think the mount was pretty leveled too. Can you use sharpcap even if your entire north pole is obstructed, because in my backyard, forest obstructs the whole north pole. I think that I'll try going somewhere where I can see polaris if it's clear tonight and see if I still get the trails... As for the worm adjustments I followed the video that you sent.