Topics

iExos mounted to 3rd party tripod #iexos-100

Jay

Edited

Just for reference:

I was able to adapt the iExos for use on my Bogen and O'connor tripod. I made a wooden donut/ring so that the iExos would sit on top of the tripod's bowl -- just dropped off the wooden mockup at a local metal shop to be fabricated in aluminum.

Not sure if the ES azimuth adjuster will work in this case as the 3/8" screw (from the tripod underneath) might not be long enough to reach the Self Center Knob of the azimuth adjuster...

Patrick Maher

I had the same idea and made my own adapter to fit the iEXOS-100 to my EXOS-2 tripod and my permanent pier.  This homemade adapter worked just fine although without any fine azimuth control but I have since purchased the ES mount adapter.  I like having the fine azimuth control and, of course, a metal adapter is a better finish for this type of thing.   I also made a couple of wood adapters like this for two homemade pipe mounts (one alt-azimuth and one equatorial) hence the extra plywood donuts in one of the images.

Patrick

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Max

Great idea Patrick, I've been thinking about a permanent pier too. I also like the quality of your photos.

James Ball

--
My prototype pier, the mounting plate is simply a treated 2x6 with a hole cut through it slightly larger than the mount bottom, I have the plastic ring from the factory tripod screwed to the plate to keep the mount centered, a long bolt and washer holds it down.  Trying to decide if I will go with longer 4x4 mounted in concrete or a steel pipe for the final pier.  It would need to be about a 10' pipe or post to be tall enough.

James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: Meade ETX90RA(deforked now) Sky Watcher 150MCT
Camera: ZWO ASI 120MC-S
Software: Explore Stars Android, ASCOM, Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, AS!3, SharpCap, RegiStax6.

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

Jay, the azimuth plate's azimuth screws push against what I've always called the north post. I've attached a photo as an example.

You might be able to overcome the situation by adding a bolt to the wooden plate.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific