Topics

Installed ASCOM 6.5 SP1 Cannot Connect PMC-8

Mark Lamb

I have been using my G11 w/ ASCOM, serial, for more than 2 years, and today I changed to IASCOM 6.5 SP1 from 6.4.  When installing I changed the option to also install POTH (and the other legacy parts).
Now, I cannot get POTH to connect to the mount.  I get the error

It will also not connect using Device Hub, giving me this error:

Tonight is dark, and I do not want to waste the night.

How can I get this to work?

Thanks!

Wes Mcdonald

Mark

1.  Are you sure 6.5 got installed correctly

2.  Drop back to 6.4

Mark Lamb

Here is the POTH setup screen:

Mark Lamb

I think it is installed correctly, but not sure.

I already tried reinstalling 6.4, and still it would not connect.  So I reinstalled 6.5, and still it won't work.

I then brought out an older laptop, with 6.4, and it will not connect, giving the same error.

All of this work fine just a couple of days ago, and has been working fine (on multiple laptops) for 2+ years.

Wes Mcdonald

So go to the setup for the driver and make sure the correct comm port is selected and serial etc is all set
Wes

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 8:15 PM Mark Lamb <lamb_mark@...> wrote:
I think it is installed correctly, but not sure.

I already tried reinstalling 6.4, and still it would not connect.  So I reinstalled 6.5, and still it won't work.

I then brought out an older laptop, with 6.4, and it will not connect, giving the same error.

All of this work fine just a couple of days ago, and has been working fine (on multiple laptops) for 2+ years.

Mark Lamb

When I go to Setup, and click on PMC-8 setup, it says that "Already connected, just press OK".  It does this on both laptops.

Mark Lamb

I have tried connecting to every port, and I get the same error.

Mark Lamb

Will PMC-8 connect to 6.5's preferred Device Hub?  I have tried but no luck.

Mark Lamb

In the past, I would always get an "Error connecting to telescope. ..." when I 1st press "Connecting Scope", but then the LST clock will show, and it would connect upon the 2nd try.

Mark Lamb

The lights on the PMC-8 is as follows:
(with lights to the left), top line: Middle: solid Green, Left and Right: dark
bottom line: Left: slow Green flash; Middle: fast Red flash; Right: solid Red

Wes Mcdonald

Mark, I have not done a thing with 6.5. At this point I am no help.  I hate to say it but until someone else chimes in I guess you are stuck.

Sorry man.

Mark Lamb

Edited

I have tried all ports:  4, 5, 9, 11

Tony

I don't know about the legacy install, but instead of poth, 6.5 uses Device Hub. I haven't used it with the exos2 yet, but I have used it successfully on other mounts and it works great.  Sorry if I missed the point, just happened across your post on my cell phone.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020, 8:05 PM Mark Lamb <lamb_mark@...> wrote:
I have been using my G11 w/ ASCOM, serial, for more than 2 years, and today I changed to IASCOM 6.5 SP1 from 6.4.  When installing I changed the option to also install POTH (and the other legacy parts).
Now, I cannot get POTH to connect to the mount.  I get the error

It will also not connect using Device Hub, giving me this error:

Tonight is dark, and I do not want to waste the night.

How can I get this to work?

Thanks!

Wes Mcdonald

Mark

Note all the serial connections in the device mNager. Then unplug the cable from the pmc8. One of the comm ports will disappear.  That is the port you need

Mark Lamb

Went back out and uninstalled 6.5, reinstalled 6.4, made sure I had the right Com port, and still the same problem.

Also, tried disconnecting everything (Astromechanics EF adapter, ZWO Camera/filterwheel, Pegasus PPB, Polemaster) except the PMC-8.  It did not work.

Doug Walker

Maybe a cable issue?

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
Canon T1i (no mod)

Mark Lamb

I just retried today, while still light.  Initially, I had the same problem.  Then I tried directly connecting the PMC-8 into my laptop, instead of through the powered hub.  This did not work.  Then I tried on a 3rd laptop; still it did not work.  The Com port on the 3rd laptop was Com3.

Then I changed the Serial-USB cable, back to my old cable that I had been using for 2+ years.  I had changed the cable to a brand new one (the exact same Sabrent)  last week and it worked before yesterday.  I noticed that the Com port had changed from #11 to #3.  So I made the change in setup for the different port.  I was connected through the powered hub, as I normally do.  IT WORKED!  Either the brand new cable went bad in a few days, or somehow the Com port got changed and ASCOM Poth did not like Com11 but liked Com3.

Wes Mcdonald

Great Mark.   Great tip from Doug

Mark Lamb

Thanks everyone!

AP has so many details that have to go right everytime.  It is amazing that it works!