Topics

Introduction and a word on INDI support

Michael Fulbright

I have been working on a driver for INDI (http://www.indilib.org) for
the PMC-Eight and it is now at the point I feel it is ready for
testers.  If anyone is interested let me know.  You will need to be
comfortable building INDI from sources at this point as it is not part
of the main INDI distribution (yet).    Once it has been tested well
enough I can submit it upstream.

The INDI driver allows you to control the PMC-Eight in a way similar to
ASCOM for Windows.  INDI is not tied to a particular OS like ASCOM
(Windows only) and so you can use all sorts of computing hardware for
astronomy.  I use a Intel based Linux laptop, for example.   One
advantage is since the sources for INDI are available to everyone then
lots of motivated people can work on and improve the software.  With
enough people working on it you can do some incredible things without
restrictions which often encumber proprietary systems.

Here is a quick stack and stretch of 45 x 120s Ha images I took testing the mount:

http://msfastro.net/gallery2/v/msfastro/newimages/20171114_PMC8_INDI_1stlite.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

There are some odd star shapes but I suspect I didn't get the spacing
for the refractor correct and I don't think it was guiding related.

Guiding was around 1.0 arcsec RMS under some challenging seeing
conditions.  I was using a heavily undersampling guide camera (9
arcsec/pixel) so I suspect that could be improved when I get my smaller
pixel guide back in action.

Michael Fulbright

David Pickett

Does this work on Windows? If so, what do I have to do to compile it.

Thanks!

David

At 18:09 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

[...]

  I would recommend using a Linux host.  I know there has been a build for Windows but I don't know how they build that and honestly I don't think it ran as well as on a native Linux system.

  You can get it working in a virtual machine under Windows using VirtualBox or VMWare.

  I just installed a UbuntuMate 16.04 VM and use that under Windows.

Michael

On 11/15/2017 12:22 PM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Does this work on Windows? If so, what do I have to do to compile it.

Thanks!

David

At 18:09 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I have been working on a driver for INDI (http://www.indilib.org) for
>the PMC-Eight and it is now at the point I feel it is ready for
>testers. If anyone is interested let me know. You will need to be
>comfortable building INDI from sources at this point as it is not part
>of the main INDI distribution (yet).   Once it has been tested well
>enough I can submit it upstream.
>
>The INDI driver allows you to control the PMC-Eight in a way similar to
>ASCOM for Windows. INDI is not tied to a particular OS like ASCOM
>(Windows only) and so you can use all sorts of computing hardware for
>astronomy. I use a Intel based Linux laptop, for example.  One
>advantage is since the sources for INDI are available to everyone then
>lots of motivated people can work on and improve the software. With
>enough people working on it you can do some incredible things without
>restrictions which often encumber proprietary systems.
>
>Here is a quick stack and stretch of 45 x 120s Ha images I took testing
>the mount:
>
>http://msfastro.net/gallery2/v/msfastro/newimages/20171114_PMC8_INDI_1stlite.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
>
>There are some odd star shapes but I suspect I didn't get the spacing
>for the refractor correct and I don't think it was guiding related.
>
>Guiding was around 1.0 arcsec RMS under some challenging seeing
>conditions. I was using a heavily undersampling guide camera (9
>arcsec/pixel) so I suspect that could be improved when I get my smaller
>pixel guide back in action.
>
>Michael Fulbright

Steve Siedentop

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM Michael Fulbright mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

David,

  I would recommend using a Linux host.  I know there has been a build for Windows but I don't know how they build that and honestly I don't think it ran as well as on a native Linux system.

  You can get it working in a virtual machine under Windows using VirtualBox or VMWare.

  I just installed a UbuntuMate 16.04 VM and use that under Windows.

Michael

On 11/15/2017 12:22 PM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Does this work on Windows? If so, what do I have to do to compile it.

Thanks!

David

At 18:09 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I have been working on a driver for INDI (http://www.indilib.org) for
>the PMC-Eight and it is now at the point I feel it is ready for
>testers. If anyone is interested let me know. You will need to be
>comfortable building INDI from sources at this point as it is not part
>of the main INDI distribution (yet).   Once it has been tested well
>enough I can submit it upstream.
>
>The INDI driver allows you to control the PMC-Eight in a way similar to
>ASCOM for Windows. INDI is not tied to a particular OS like ASCOM
>(Windows only) and so you can use all sorts of computing hardware for
>astronomy. I use a Intel based Linux laptop, for example.  One
>advantage is since the sources for INDI are available to everyone then
>lots of motivated people can work on and improve the software. With
>enough people working on it you can do some incredible things without
>restrictions which often encumber proprietary systems.
>
>Here is a quick stack and stretch of 45 x 120s Ha images I took testing
>the mount:
>
>http://msfastro.net/gallery2/v/msfastro/newimages/20171114_PMC8_INDI_1stlite.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
>
>There are some odd star shapes but I suspect I didn't get the spacing
>for the refractor correct and I don't think it was guiding related.
>
>Guiding was around 1.0 arcsec RMS under some challenging seeing
>conditions. I was using a heavily undersampling guide camera (9
>arcsec/pixel) so I suspect that could be improved when I get my smaller
>pixel guide back in action.
>
>Michael Fulbright

Michael Fulbright

My understanding is the windi code is a compatibility wrapper that makes ASCOM look like INDI.  I don't know that it is actually a build of the core INDI libraries for Windows.

At this point there is no binary distribution with my driver so  you would need to build INDI from scratch, which pretty much means a Linux or possible a MacOS host.

Michael

On 11/15/2017 5:33 PM, Steve Siedentop sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

-Steve

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM Michael Fulbright mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

David,

  I would recommend using a Linux host.  I know there has been a build for Windows but I don't know how they build that and honestly I don't think it ran as well as on a native Linux system.

  You can get it working in a virtual machine under Windows using VirtualBox or VMWare.

  I just installed a UbuntuMate 16.04 VM and use that under Windows.

Michael

On 11/15/2017 12:22 PM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Does this work on Windows? If so, what do I have to do to compile it.

Thanks!

David

At 18:09 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I have been working on a driver for INDI (http://www.indilib.org) for
>the PMC-Eight and it is now at the point I feel it is ready for
>testers. If anyone is interested let me know. You will need to be
>comfortable building INDI from sources at this point as it is not part
>of the main INDI distribution (yet).   Once it has been tested well
>enough I can submit it upstream.
>
>The INDI driver allows you to control the PMC-Eight in a way similar to
>ASCOM for Windows. INDI is not tied to a particular OS like ASCOM
>(Windows only) and so you can use all sorts of computing hardware for
>astronomy. I use a Intel based Linux laptop, for example.  One
>advantage is since the sources for INDI are available to everyone then
>lots of motivated people can work on and improve the software. With
>enough people working on it you can do some incredible things without
>restrictions which often encumber proprietary systems.
>
>Here is a quick stack and stretch of 45 x 120s Ha images I took testing
>the mount:
>
>http://msfastro.net/gallery2/v/msfastro/newimages/20171114_PMC8_INDI_1stlite.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
>
>There are some odd star shapes but I suspect I didn't get the spacing
>for the refractor correct and I don't think it was guiding related.
>
>Guiding was around 1.0 arcsec RMS under some challenging seeing
>conditions. I was using a heavily undersampling guide camera (9
>arcsec/pixel) so I suspect that could be improved when I get my smaller
>pixel guide back in action.
>
>Michael Fulbright

David Pickett

At 23:43 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

My understanding is the windi code is a
compatibility wrapper that makes ASCOM look like
INDI. I don't know that it is actually a build
of the core INDI libraries for Windows.

At this point there is no binary distribution
with my driver so you would need to build INDI
from scratch, which pretty much means a Linux or possible a MacOS host.

Michael

On 11/15/2017 5:33 PM, Steve Siedentop
<mailto:sdsiedentop@...>sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:
INDI server for Windows.
<http://www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/>http://www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/

INDI Clients
<http://indilib.org/about/clients.html>http://indilib.org/about/clients.html

-Steve

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM Michael
Fulbright
<mailto:mike.fulbright@...>mike.fulbright@...
[ESPMC-Eight]

(<http://www.indilib.org>http://www.indilib.org) for

mages/20171114_PMC8_INDI_1stlite.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1>http://msfastro.net/gallery2/v/msfastro/newimages/20171114_PMC8_INDI_1stlite.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

There are some odd star shapes but I suspect I didn't get the spacing
for the refractor correct and I don't think it was guiding related.

Guiding was around 1.0 arcsec RMS under some challenging seeing
conditions. I was using a heavily undersampling guide camera (9
arcsec/pixel) so I suspect that could be improved when I get my smaller
pixel guide back in action.

Michael Fulbright

David Pickett

What does this code do for us that we cannot presently do?

David

At 23:43 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

My understanding is the windi code is a
compatibility wrapper that makes ASCOM look like
INDI. I don't know that it is actually a build of the core INDI libraries for Windows.

At this point there is no binary distribution
with my driver so you would need to build INDI
from scratch, which pretty much means a Linux or possible a MacOS host.

Michael

Michael Fulbright

The existing ASCOM driver for the PMC-Eight is fairly comprehensive so I don't know that the INDI driver will necessarily offer more or different features.

INDI offers a different framework for using astronomical hardware that is not tied to the Windows/Intel platform.  As you may have noticed most astronomical software applications and hardware support is tied to Windows.   Since everyone has their own preference in computing environments the advantage of INDI is hopefully you will be able to image with whatever platform you choose.  It is a bit ironic but I suppose since WIndows has an excellent framework already (ASCOM) there has not been much work on getting INDI to run natively on that platform.  But for Linux and MacOS it offers an opportunity that simply didn't exist before.

An example is many people have used INDI on small Arm based computers like the Raspberry Pi's.   These are inexpensive computers that are powerful enough to use to run a modern astronomical mount like the PMC-Eight and even handle tasks like autoguiding.

For a software developer like me I find INDI an exciting platform to work on as it is open source and built on a Linux based system which I find preferable to the Windows environment.  But that is a personal preference and I don't expect everyone to share it.

Now one feature I have which I don't think ES has yet is an early implementation of "driver side" pulse guiding using the current PMC-Eight firmware.   I have a disdain for cables and ST-4 cables are near the top of my list.  :)

In summary if you are happy and successful with Windows and your mount that is probably the best solution for you.  Otherwise if you were prefer using something other than Windows or have a desire to actually get into the code and add features you want then INDI might be for you.

Michael Fulbright

On 11/15/2017 6:41 PM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

What does this code do for us that we cannot presently do?

David

At 23:43 15-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>My understanding is the windi code is a
>compatibility wrapper that makes ASCOM look like
>INDI. I don't know that it is actually a build
>of the core INDI libraries for Windows.
>
>At this point there is no binary distribution
>with my driver so you would need to build INDI
>from scratch, which pretty much means a Linux or possible a MacOS host.
>
>Michael

David Pickett

Michael,

Thanks for the helpful explanation.

A bit of history: I started in home computers in
1985 with a CP/M Kaypro and modified and
programmed it extensively in ASM and Pascal. Then
graduated to a NeXt and programming
Unix/Objective-C from 1992-2010. Around 1999 I
was forced onto the Windows OS by needing to use
audio and music software otherwise unavailable,
and lack of time to develop my own. (I also had
an Acorn RPC). Much as I admire Apple hardware, I
find their software exceedingly irritating, and
Linux is not sufficient for my general needs. I
do not wish to spend the rest of my life servicing computer systems. :)

I have successfully made the ASCOM driver work
with Stellarium and Cartes du ciel, though having
to manually daisy-chain ASCOM and POTH to the
latter two (not to mention StellariumScope!)
strikes me as a cludge. I would willingly give
INDI a whirl if it were compiled for Windows -- is that so difficult?

As far as the Windows environment goes for
PMC-Eight, ES is adequate, but, as I have told
Jerry, keyboard shortcuts are lacking and the GUI
could do with some modifications. I would be
happy to work with anyone to realise these
improvements and help the development of ES. I
can see that the apps I have mentioned work well
in an observatory setting; but I am obliged to
transport my gear out of the city and into the
countryside, which means 2-3 hours added each
time to any actual observing. Last night (the
only clearish night for weeks past and probably
for weeks to come) was my first (exploratory)
outing with the G-11 and PMC
(http://www.waa.at/beob/plz/sof.html). The Wifi
connection works fine and reduces the clutter,
but having to use the mousepad on my Zenbook was
quite unsatisfactory (the double clicks required
by Polestar were a big challenge). Temperature
was hovering around 1.5 C and I wondered how much
my laptop would like that, but I didnt stay long
enough to encounter any problems in that area. I
cannot see that tapping with fingers on a touch
sensitive pad would be any less frustrating.

If someone can come up with a handset with
switches that will join the PMC WIFI network and
provide control of ExploreStars and
Stellarium/Cdc, that would be ideal for me. As a
minimum one needs basic steering NWES switches
and two to simulate mouse clicks, though I can
probably live with the arrow and number keys on
the Zenbook, and a replacement for a mouse would
be sufficient. When one is located at the edge of
an unmetalled carpark, with the mount on
unlevelled clay ground one needs a solid surface
to hold the laptop and use the mouse, which means
a table, or a shelf attached to the mount.

At 01:08 16-11-17, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

An example is many people have used INDI on
small Arm based computers like the Raspberry
Pi's. These are inexpensive computers that are
powerful enough to use to run a modern
astronomical mount like the PMC-Eight and even handle tasks like autoguiding.
That sounds ínteresting (I like ARM: my Acorn RPC was also a solid device.)

For a software developer like me I find INDI an
exciting platform to work on as it is open
source and built on a Linux based system which I
find preferable to the Windows environment. But
that is a personal preference and I don't expect everyone to share it.
There's the rub. I was hoping that Linux might
have gathered a more critical mass by now, but it
hasnt for what I need to do outside of astronomy,
and I even find Open Office less useful than had I hoped for.

Now one feature I have which I don't think ES
has yet is an early implementation of "driver
side" pulse guiding using the current PMC-Eight
firmware. I have a disdain for cables and ST-4
cables are near the top of my list. :)
Agreed: the Ethernet cable is an abomination that
is only justified by its cost and use in
permanent installations. Most USB and DIN
connectors run it a close equal second! The
Polemaster has a solid USB connection on the
camera, and it is a pity that sloppy engineering
by PC manufacturers means that they are unable to
do something similar the other end. :)

David

hubbell_jerry@...

Thanks Michael for all your work on the INDI driver, I look forward to seeing more results from your work. I have plans to release an updated ASCOM driver that includes the pulse-guiding function by the end of the year. I also plan on adding a few other features that have been requested over the past few months. I have been pulled away from working on the driver the past couple of months, but that work is wrapping up soon so I will be able to get back to the driver.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Michael Fulbright

  David,

  There is work going on to support INDI on Windows but as far as I know it is not complete.  I suspect either most people are like me and have little interest in running it on Windows or else they just run Linux in a virtual machine like VMWare or VirtualBox.   Since pretty much everyone working on INDI is a volunteer people tend to work on what interests them.

  One thing I didn't mention is with INDI you can use a joystick (gamepad) to control the mount much like it is possible with the EQMOD driver in ASCOM.  Using a wireless gamecontroller to move the mount is nice - I find it preferable to trying to use a smartphone or tablet when doing visual observations.   I suspect we're both a bit "old fashioned" about have REAL buttons versus a fake control on a touchscreen.  With a joystick I can look through the scope and not have to look at a screen to see what I'm hitting.  And REAL buttons work alot better with gloves, etc.  Don't get me started about the move of car UIs to touch screen only and getting rid of REAL buttons.  :)

  There is a learning curve to Linux and INDI but I figure anything worth having takes a little work.   I bet if you tinkered with it some that given your background we might end up recruiting another INDI developer.  :)

Michael

On 11/16/2017 4:42 AM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

> [...]

>find preferable to the Windows environment. But
>that is a personal preference and I don't expect everyone to share it.

There's the rub. I was hoping that Linux might
have gathered a more critical mass by now, but it
hasnt for what I need to do outside of astronomy,
and I even find Open Office less useful than had I hoped for.

>Now one feature I have which I don't think ES
>has yet is an early implementation of "driver
>side" pulse guiding using the current PMC-Eight
>firmware. I have a disdain for cables and ST-4
>cables are near the top of my list. :)

Agreed: the Ethernet cable is an abomination that
is only justified by its cost and use in
permanent installations. Most USB and DIN
connectors run it a close equal second! The
Polemaster has a solid USB connection on the
camera, and it is a pity that sloppy engineering
by PC manufacturers means that they are unable to

Jerry,
   Thank you for all the support as I was figuring things out - it has been an interesting exercise.  The hardware is working very nicely.

   I took another test image last night:

       https://www.astrobin.com/321932/

   This was with a 70mm refractor, an Astrodon 5nm H-alpha filter and an ASI 1600MM-Cool camera.  I took 60 x 180s exposures.

    I still have some optical/tilt issues to sort out but overall the system is working well.

   Guiding with the pulse guide code I have added to the INDI driver was consistently around 0.6-0.7 arcsec RMS in PHD2.  I believe it would have been lower but seeing was not being generous last night!

Michael Fulbright

On 11/16/2017 11:49 PM, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Thanks Michael for all your work on the INDI driver, I look forward to seeing more results from your work. I have plans to release an updated ASCOM driver that includes the pulse-guiding function by the end of the year. I also plan on adding a few other features that have been requested over the past few months. I have been pulled away from working on the driver the past couple of months, but that work is wrapping up soon so I will be able to get back to the driver.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi David, Michael,

As Michael mentioned, the use of a gamepad controller in INDI is probably going to happen at some point. We are also planning on adding gamepad support to the ExploreStars application after we release the Android version of the Explore Stars app. The Android version is in being tested now. I would hope that we could release that by the first of the year. So if you can just hang in there, we are working diligently to get all these features added. I am also going to release a new version of the ASCOM driver that I have been working on over the past few months. It will include Pulse-Guiding support based on the work that Michael has been doing lately.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Michael,

That is a very nice image, I am curious if you have the changed the code yet to use the ESTr! command versus the ESSr! command. I plan on using the ESTr! command as you have suggested based on it higher precision in adjusting the rate.

Thanks again

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Michael Fulbright

No I hadn't made any changes when I took that data - didn't have time.  :)

But I think ESTr is the right idea.

Michael

On 11/18/2017 11:17 AM, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Hi Michael,

That is a very nice image, I am curious if you have the changed the code yet to use the ESTr! command versus the ESSr! command. I plan on using the ESTr! command as you have suggested based on it higher precision in adjusting the rate.

Thanks again

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Michael Fulbright

There is a utility associated with the EQMOD project called ASCOMPAD that sends ASCOM commands to a mount to have it move and can be controlled by a joystick.  I believe it can be *any* ASCOM supported mount.

Michael Fulbright