Topics

IOS versions and other questions

r_hoskin@...

Jerry,

I hadn't expected to hear that an IOS version of Explorestars is in development - a nice surprise!

Just wondering...

a) What IOS versions you intend to support?
and
b) What Android versions you are supporting?
and
c) You were concerned before, about the display size scaling requirement with IOS.  What changed to get past  that?

Thanks!

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

I sent out a reply earlier today, but it never showed up. If it does, then I will probably delete this one.

We are just starting the iOS development and since I am not the primary developer, I am not sure what versions would be supported. I am sure we are using the current version of the OS to develop on so I think whatever legacy support Apple provides in their development tools would provide some backward compatibility with older versions. As far as the display size goes, we will probably develop a different screen layout with some things removed so that it is useful on the iPhone.

As far as Android is concerned, our ExploreStars app will run on version 4.4 KitKat and newer. Since that was released back in 2013, you should be able to use any tablet at least that old and any older one's that you can upgrade the OS to KitKat.

The recommended tablet size is 7-inches. 8-inches is better, and 10-inches is a luxury. I would consider a Windows or Android 7, and 8-inch tablet only good to run ExploreStars only. If you want just one tablet that you can use as a remote access computer and also locally with a gamepad controller, then I would get a Windows 10-inch tablet that runs Windows 10.

This will allow you to have the equivalent of a single-board computer (SBC) that people are starting to use, along with a local display when you are at the mount. You can run the ASOM clients of your choice on it and also ASCOMPAD gamepad interface and TeamViewer for remote access.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

CYRIL BONNETT

Hi Jerry,

Yesterday I successfully installed the android version on my 2013 Sony Xperia tablet Z and it's working fine.

Sony haven't updated the Xperia since 2015 with the last update being lollipop 5.

One benefit with the Sony is it's really waterproof up to a meter for 30 minutes so they claim, although my bath isn't that deep I have tested it on occasions.

Just waiting for the weather to improve now.

Cyril

hubbell_jerry@...

This is a test post at 1648 EDT. I want to see if it even shows up and what the timestamp is on it.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Cyril,

I appreciate the positive feedback. Our team will be pleased to hear that it can run on pretty old tablets.

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <cyril.bonnett@...> wrote :

Hi Jerry,

Yesterday I successfully installed the android version on my 2013 Sony Xperia tablet Z and it's working fine.

Sony haven't updated the Xperia since 2015 with the last update being lollipop 5.

One benefit with the Sony is it's really waterproof up to a meter for 30 minutes so they claim, although my bath isn't that deep I have tested it on occasions.

Just waiting for the weather to improve now.

Cyril

David Pickett

1648, eh? It just got to Vienna at 23:12,
timestamped 22:48. 22-16 = 6 hours, which is the
time difference between Austria and NY. But what
does an email do for 24 minutes, getting from
there to here??? Must be slow electrons...

Best,

David

At 22:48 05-04-18, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

This is a test post at 1648 EDT. I want to see
if it even shows up and what the timestamp is on it.

Jennifer Shelly

Cyril

I have the same Xperia Z Tablet.
Is there anything special that you had to do to get the database to load?
I think I am missing something.
Any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated.

Jennifer

CYRIL BONNETT

Hi Jennifer

I followed the instructions on the following http://www.explorescientific.com/pmc-eight/Android.html

You need to download http://www.explorescientific.com/pmc-eight/ExploreStars.zip onto your laptop,  unzip it and then take the SD Card from your Xperia tablet and put it into the laptop then copy the Explorestars directory  into the root directory of the SD card

Then follow these instructions

  1. Install the MicroSD card in your Android tablet
  2. In Settings/Security on your tablet, make sure that Unknown Sources is selected
  3. Using a web browser on your Android, navigate to this webpage and download the APK file: com.explorescientific.explorestars.apk 16 MB (4/2/2018)
  4. Once the file is downloaded, open the file/install the App
  5. The first time you run the App, you will need to initialize the settings:

Cyril

Is there anything special that you had to do to get the database to load?
I think I am missing something.
Any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated.

Jennifer

Jennifer Shelly

Cyril

Thank you. I must have been overthinking it.
I thought I had to install the SQLite program to work.

Jennifer

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jennifer,

I'm glad you got it worked out. Please let me know if you have any other issues with the application. You folks that are installing it are the first customers to do so. 4 of our staff have tested it over the past couple of months, but until we have a lot of our customers using it we may not uncover all types of issues that will arise.

Thank you, and thanks Cyril for jumping in and lending a hand.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

CYRIL BONNETT

Hi Jerry

I spent a an hour today trying the Android version, one thing I came across is the search function,  tapping on search  the tablet hangs and then asks if you want to wait or close the application.

Cyril

I'm glad you got it worked out. Please let me know if you have any other issues with the application. You folks that are installing it are the first customers to do so. 4 of our staff have tested it over the past couple of months, but until we have a lot of our customers using it we may not uncover all types of issues that will arise.

Thank you, and thanks Cyril for jumping in and lending a hand.

Jerry Hubbell

Director Electrical Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

HI Cyril,

Thanks for the feedback, I will forward that on to our developer and check it out myself.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jennifer Shelly

Jerry

I am experiencing the same issue as Cyril with the search function.
I happen to be using the same Xperia Z tablet model.
I do like the catalogue now states if the object is below the horizon.
I also like that the catalogue remembers the last object selected and does not go back to the beginning. Keep these new robust features coming.

Jennifer

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the additional feedback, I will get back with some suggestions I am sure. What version of Android are you using? Is it Lollipop 5 also?

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jennifer Shelly

Jerry,

Sony Xperia Z tablet

Model number SGP311

Android version 5.1.1

Kernel version 3.4.0-perf-gbccb33a
BuildUser@BuildHost #1
Fri Jul 10 09:23:01 2015

Build number 10.7.A.0.222

Jennifer

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Cyril, Jennifer,

When you have the problem, what are the objects you are searching on? Does it matter if the object is above or below the local horizon? Do you get any indications other than the program hangs and then wants to abort?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

CYRIL BONNETT

HI Jerry

Hope this helps.

Today I had another look at the android version. With the windows version if I open search and put in say Polaris I get a list that has Polaris at the top.

I’m not too sure if your Android app does have a problem, it may be that the search has just been programmed a bit differently.

In the bar at the top of the Android version from the right there is SEARCH, then to the left of it has a space with a number in it, at the moment 109, to the left again is a box with TOUR in it and to the left again it has Andromeda in white letters, click on TOUR and it brings up a list of objects in Andromeda.

If I click on SEARCH I have been assuming that it would bring up a search box, but all it seems to do is hangs the programme until a box with the wait or close option appears clicking wait does seem to go on forever and I think the natural thing to do the is close the programme and start again.

If you want to search you must not click/highlight the search button but type your query into the space that contains the number

In the space to the left of search delete the number 109 then type in your query, I typed Polaris and then clicked SEARCH.

This brings up a list of twelve objects which are all connected to my search for Polaris, just like the windows version but better displayed.

The space that I typed in Polaris now has the number 12 in it, the number of objects displayed for the result of the search.

The first object in the list is NGC2573 Polarissima Australis  >Below Horizon<

If I type in MOON I get a result of 55 objects, the first in the list being M1 Crab Nebula, the moon is ninth in the list of objects.

I have noticed that subsequently when clicking the search button after searching for Polaris which gave a list of 12 objects it brings up another list numbering 23702 objects and a further press of search I get a list  of 5 objects then another press gives 75753 another press of the search gives 1 object, HD70998, another go gives a list of 83979.

I am wondering if the wait/close is really a memory problem because if I select an object from the last huge list and try to return to catalogue I get the wait close box, if I then press wait it does eventually return me to the list of 83979 objects. A further search for Polaris returns me to a list of 12 objects.

Bit long winded but I think it does solve the problem that Jennifer and I have experienced, perhaps a newer tablet, more memory and a fast cpu will speed the search process up.

Cyril

When you have the problem, what are the objects you are searching on? Does it matter if the object is above or below the local horizon? Do you get any indications other than the program hangs and then wants to abort?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Jerry Hubbell

Director Electrical Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Cyril,

Thanks for the extended description of what you are seeing. This will help for sure. I have forwarded your message to our Android developer, we will see what he suggests.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Cyril,

Yes, you are correct in your description. When you go to the search window, it shows you the Messier Objects. There are 109 items in the list. You need to type over the number with the search term you want and it will show you how many items were returned with the list of items.

Jennifer it you could try typing in the search term over the number and then seeing how it works, it should be okay for you. There are over 86000 items in the database, so if you don't put any search term in the box, it will try to return them all. If you tablet does not have enough memory then that's when it will hang up the app.

We are looking at how we can guard against that from happening. We also need to provide some Android ExploreStars specific instructions in our manual.